JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Also reminder that the Mets pitchers had a higher wrc than our dh this year as of a few weeks ago. 

This is a position that needs money thrown at it.  The Sox have to explore this if he becomes available.

The other option for that position continues to be Abreu to DH and Vaughn to 1b in short order. 

Signing JDM and Abreu both to multi-year deals could turn Vaughn into a likely trade candidate. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The other option for that position continues to be Abreu to DH and Vaughn to 1b in short order. 

Signing JDM and Abreu both to multi-year deals could turn Vaughn into a likely trade candidate. 

I'd rather have Vaughn and one of the best pure hitters in baseball.  Do I think this FO will do that though?  Nope.  But I really hope they don't lock up Abreu before they have explored other avenues.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

I'd rather have Vaughn and one of the best pure hitters in baseball.  Do I think this FO will do that though?  Nope.  But I really hope they don't lock up Abreu before they have explored other avenues.

Personally I do think Vaughn should be up this season, but if Abreu was signed to a 1 year deal and Martinez to a multi year deal this does work as you can bury Vaughn in the minors for a year even if he's hitting great. However, an assurance that a player will "Always be a member of the White Sox" would make that not work because if Abreu wanted to play multiple years, Martinez and Abreu occupy 1b and DH until Abreu retires, and that's the title of the Abreu thread. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Personally I do think Vaughn should be up this season, but if Abreu was signed to a 1 year deal and Martinez to a multi year deal this does work as you can bury Vaughn in the minors for a year even if he's hitting great. However, an assurance that a player will "Always be a member of the White Sox" would make that not work because if Abreu wanted to play multiple years, Martinez and Abreu occupy 1b and DH until Abreu retires, and that's the title of the Abreu thread. 

Or you make JDM your every day RF 🤣

17 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Or you make JDM your every day RF 🤣

And commit to having the worst defensive OF in the game?  It worries me the Sox would do this, and why I am not more excited about Martinez.  As a straight DH, very occasional RF fill-in....he's great.  If you're sticking him in RF most days....oh boy.  

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

And commit to having the worst defensive OF in the game?  It worries me the Sox would do this, and why I am not more excited about Martinez.  As a straight DH, very occasional RF fill-in....he's great.  If you're sticking him in RF most days....oh boy.  

I don't think they are that dumb.  Now  the contrarian in me will tell you RF at Comiskey is much easier to play than at Fenway and Comerica.  Also Luis Robert.  Would be a lottt of thunder in that lineup.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't think they are that dumb.  Now  the contrarian in me will tell you RF at Comiskey is much easier to play than at Fenway and Comerica.  Also Luis Robert.  Would be a lottt of thunder in that lineup.

Yah.  Can get to a similar place by just signing JD to DH and Abreu to a 1 year deal at 1B.  I do that think Abreu has played himself into more than a 1 year deal at this point, though.  

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah.  Can get to a similar place by just signing JD to DH and Abreu to a 1 year deal at 1B.  I do that think Abreu has played himself into more than a 1 year deal at this point, though.  

He's going to get more than a 1 year deal.  I don't want him more than 2 with a club option but White Sox love making decisions on emotion.  If this JDM thing could be real who knows. 

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He's going to get more than a 1 year deal.  I don't want him more than 2 with a club option but White Sox love making decisions on emotion.  If this JDM thing could be real who knows. 

Yah, 2 year deal definitely blocks Vaughn then.  Vaughn should be ready by 2021 at the latest.  We'll see how it plays out.  

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I don't see Abreu leaving and JDM would be too costly of an upgrade at DH. That said, I'd rather sign Moustakas to 2/$30M, play him across 1B/2B/3B and shift Abreu to DH. Use the remaining money for Cole, or 2 mid rotation SPs in the Wheeler/Odorizzi/Keuchel tier.

This would address the "Middle of the order LH bat" need with a guy who can hit somewhere between 4th and 6th. I'm generally ok with this concept this season.

Probably would let Yolmer depart if I intended to do that, so I'd want to get the deal done before the Dec. 1 deadline.

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This would address the "Middle of the order LH bat" need with a guy who can hit somewhere between 4th and 6th. I'm generally ok with this concept this season.

Probably would let Yolmer depart if I intended to do that, so I'd want to get the deal done before the Dec. 1 deadline.

We have scoffed at Moustakas in seasons past but I think he looks like a fine option for now. LH bat, and could fill in at 2B until Madrigal gets the call.

For the $5M he's likely getting in Arb, I'm would be fine to let Yolmer go or see what I could get for him on the trade market, Mendick is ready for the backup IF spot and Leury could also play all IF spots in a pinch. I'd rather spend the Yolmer money on an RP arm.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

58 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What.. you wouldn't want to see this out there? 

🤣

I just don’t see how we can make both Abreu & Martinez fit beyond 2020 and I fully expect Jose to get a two year deal.  That being said, I do think replacing Abreu with JDM would be a fantastic upgrade and give us the middle of the lineup anchor we desperately need to take pressure of the young guys.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

He’s getting older and that position is far too demanding from a physical standpoint...he’s already struggling with injuries this current season, I don’t see why you would want him to break down in the second half.

Wasn’t his injury a fluke injury, not a muscle injury?

13 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He’s getting older and that position is far too demanding from a physical standpoint...he’s already struggling with injuries this current season, I don’t see why you would want him to break down in the second half.

Well good, we have Madrigal coming up who will play most of the season at 2b but occasionally will need a day off.

• Tony locked this topic
  • knightni unlocked this topic