JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

6 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Since we're talking hypotheticals here, if the Sox signed Martinez, Corey Dickerson, Cole Hamels, and a decent reliever this offseason, would you guys be happy with that? 

No.  Still need one more high quality starter.

48 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He’s getting older and that position is far too demanding from a physical standpoint...he’s already struggling with injuries this current season, I don’t see why you would want him to break down in the second half.

He took a bad hop on a grounder recently but was otherwise healthy all year. Far cry from someone who is breaking down physically and couldn’t only play a position unless it’s emergency.

His versatility and LH bat fits our needs and is within our price range (though he’s a Boras guy). I do not advocate playing him there long term, but play him there for month or so until Madrigal gets call up. At that point shift him to 1B and have Abreu DH.

6 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

USA Today reporting Red Sox plan on letting Martinez walk. They're also planning on letting Betts go.

Yeah, again, Betts has said he wants to go to FA.  He's going to be traded this Winter.  Would be a decent haul for a really bad farm but only a 1 year rental.

2 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

He took a bad hop on a grounder recently but was otherwise healthy all year. Far cry from someone who is breaking down physically and couldn’t only play a position unless it’s emergency.

His versatility and LH bat fits our needs and is within our price range (though he’s a Boras guy). I do not advocate playing him there long term, but play him there for month or so until Madrigal gets call up. At that point shift him to 1B and have Abreu DH.

3B-1290, SS-65, DH-34, 1B-4

Those were his career numbers before this season.

So even if he has graded out okay at less than 50 games there for MIL this season, he's going to be relegated to DH duties with the White Sox due to the presence of Madrigal and Moncada.

He would be much better than Abreu at 1B, but we all know that story.

So it all comes down to whether he'd be willing to DH (mostly) on a non-contending team, barring some huge/unexpected moves in free agency.

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

So even if he has graded out okay at less than 50 games there for MIL this season, he's going to be relegated to DH duties with the White Sox due to the presence of Madrigal and Moncada.

So it all comes down to whether he'd be willing to DH (mostly) on a non-contending team, barring some huge/unexpected moves in free agency.

After the last 2 offseasons, if Mike Moustakas gets a decent contract offer, I really don't imagine him turning it down.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The point is getting someone who could also play the field rather than a traditional DH, plus he’s a LH bat and could handle 2B if Madrigal needs more time or struggles out of the gate. I also couldn’t imagine a scenario where he doesn’t play 1B over Abreu once Madrigal is settled. If we get JDM he’d almost certainly DH, keeping Abreu at 1B. I’d be interested to see who Jose could do at DH not having to worry about the field as much.

All in all, Moose will be a nice fit for his likely reasonable contract.

I highly doubt the Sox get JDM. But if we do it better not also include us locking up Abreu.

I love Abreu and what he has done for us but in the end we have to make smart baseball moves.

Lock up JDM and sign Abreu to a 1 yr deal. Then I want Vaughn up in 21.... Maybe I'd be OK with 1 2 yr deal for him so he can be with us when we're legit in 21.

But we're too loyal and Abreu has had a good season. We will sign him to a 3 yr deal and Vaughn comes up at some point this year. Realistically we will be focusing on a RF, 2 SP with hopefully one being a TOR guy, and BP help.

31 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I didn't write an article on JD Martinez to speculate FWIW. If he becomes a free agent, the White Sox will be interested. 

As they should. He’s one of the best hitters to hit the free agent market over the last few years (if he opts out which I think is still 50/50).

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

17 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

We have scoffed at Moustakas in seasons past but I think he looks like a fine option for now. LH bat, and could fill in at 2B until Madrigal gets the call.

For the $5M he's likely getting in Arb, I'm would be fine to let Yolmer go or see what I could get for him on the trade market, Mendick is ready for the backup IF spot and Leury could also play all IF spots in a pinch. I'd rather spend the Yolmer money on an RP arm.

We meaning not me :). Balta can attest to that. I have wanted him for the seasons the Brewers had him.  I'd also be good checking into what the royals would want for Whit Merrifield for RF . I know he isn't LH but he's one of those versatile guys , a very good base runner and just a smart , good ballplayer.

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

Man I would love to snag Betts from the BoSox but they're gonna want Robert or Madrigal headlining the deal. 

There is a zero percent chance I give up any of the top 5 guys for Betts a year before free agency.  Would be so dumb.  

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We meaning not me :). Balta can attest to that. I have wanted him for the seasons the Brewers had him.  I'd also be good checking into what the royals would want for Whit Merrifield for RF . I know he isn't LH but he's one of those versatile guys , a very good base runner and just a smart , good ballplayer.

They want a metric shit ton for him.  Which is why he is still a Royal. 

56 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I thought about Merrfield as well but their ask will start with Madrigal if not Robert.

I personally have Nimmo as target #1 in the trade market for RF, but even him won’t come cheap. 

The purpose of being absurdly cheap the past few years has been so we can spend money on free agents in the future to supplement our prospects. I'll be annoyed if we start trading prospects so we don't have to spend money on free agents. Wait to trade your prospects for when you are a bonafide contender and need the final supplemental pieces to compete. 

• Like 1

• Tony locked this topic
  • knightni unlocked this topic