JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'll shut up after this as I tend to obsess on certain topics, but it confuses me why a guy on a good team who makes very very good money, more than he'll ever need, would opt out of 61 million dollars to go play for some other team that 'may' offer him way more, may not. Baseball has had some weird offseasons in terms of paying players (Moose comes to mind) and I don't know why a guy guaranteed that much loot would enter free agency when he's already on a great team in a great baseball city. Oh well, I'll shut up now on this topic.

Boston is trying to cut salary and can't retain both he and Mookie Betts. Boston will just trade JDM if he opts-in. Boras probably knows exactly what he can get from the Sox and Rangers at this point. 

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Boston is trying to cut salary and can't retain both he and Mookie Betts. Boston will just trade JDM if he opts-in. Boras probably knows exactly what he can get from the Sox and Rangers at this point. 

Boras has always been about total guaranteed money over highest AAV.  We saw that with Harper's contract last year.  So I would guess that he would perceive a 4/70 offer as better than the current 3/60.  Hard to believe that the Sox or the Rangers wouldn't be willing to offer that.

28 minutes ago, Tony said:

Didn't realize he still had the option out there. 

I'd rather they sign or acquire the best hitter possible at that point for RF, not concerned with RH/LH if it means acquiring a much lesser player. 

Yah, I don't know.  Sox are extremely right handed.  Lineup balance is important.  Obviously I'd rather get JD Martinez and Marcell Ozuna over Dickerson and Calhoun, but all things being equal, Sox really need another strong LH bat to complement all the righties. Another reason why Grandal would be a great fit.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I don't know.  Sox are extremely right handed.  Lineup balance is important.  Obviously I'd rather get JD Martinez and Marcell Ozuna over Dickerson and Calhoun, but all things being equal, Sox really need another strong LH bat to complement all the righties. Another reason why Grandal would be a great fit.

He's clearly not as good as JD Martinez, but Moustakas fills that role fairly well as a power hitting lefty. Not only would he come substantially cheaper...but he also would give us far more ability to use him in the field than you get with Martinez. 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Weird, I suggested two LH bats yesterday, but because it's the Cubs, they were trash... 😮

Assuming the contract of an average player making ~$85M over the next 4 seasons isn't exactly a wise use of the White Sox resources and financial flexibility.  

Just now, Balta1701 said:

He's clearly not as good as JD Martinez, but Moustakas fills that role fairly well as a power hitting lefty. Not only would he come substantially cheaper...but he also would give us far more ability to use him in the field than you get with Martinez. 

Yah, definitely like Moose as a fit depending on what direction we go in RF.  

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Weird, I suggested two LH bats yesterday, but because it's the Cubs, they were trash... 😮

Helping the Cubs aspect of it aside, there isn’t a chance in hell I would use the financial flexibility the Sox have created on Jason Heyward, even if the Cubs paid part of his contract. He’s just not that good, even if the Cubs would include Schwarber with him 

Just now, Tony said:

Which would be slightly offset by acquiring two players who are underpaid based on their production. 

Given the Sox lack of minor league depth, need for LH hitting in their lineup and incredible financial flexibility, to go along with needs in RF and DH, it was an attempt to fill in as many boxes as possible. And I stand by it being a good idea depending on what the Sox would have to send over, which should be minimal. 

I think my biggest gut issue with it is that Heyward is signed for soo long. If he was signed for 2 years that's one thing, but be honest, do we really want to commit $10 million per year to Heyward as our starting RF for the next 4 years? 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Listen, I'm not super set on the idea, I posed it yesterday as a "Would you do it?" 

I hate that he's signed for 4 years. It's a terrible contract, but it's also the reason I think the Cubs would add on some valuable assets to get rid of the contract. 

I'd also only do the deal if the Sox spent on one of the bigger SP's on the market, and maybe added a pen arm or two. It's a "We're locked into this team now for the next few years, these are the guys I'm going to battle with" type move. 

Again, not sold on it, but I do think it makes some sense. I really think Schwarber is a fit and I think Q bounces back a bit on the South Side. Heyward....I don't like really at all but it's how you acquire those two without giving up much, aside from payroll. 

I don't disagree that it makes some sense, but it's not my preferred use of resources. Feels like a backup plan to me.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Why are we going cheap when we have a fuckton of money to spend?  At the impact where possible, even if that happens to be a 32 year old DH-only guy.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are we going cheap when we have a fuckton of money to spend?  At the impact where possible, even if that happens to be a 32 year old DH-only guy.

Maybe if we sign say Ozuna in RF and Strasburg as a SP, a cheaper DH alternative like Moustakas who can also be deployed around the IF wouldn't be a terrible option.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Maybe if we sign say Ozuna in RF and Strasburg as a SP, a cheaper DH alternative like Moustakas who can also be deployed around the IF wouldn't be a terrible option.  

That'd be my preference, particularly the pitching. Give me the starting pitching and I'd rather save the money on the lineup while at the same time getting more positional flexibility. 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ozuna for RF scares me. He has 9 games started in RF since 2016, and a TERRIBLE arm. 

Again, I know the options aren't great, and I believe the Sox like Ozuna, but it worries me. 

I am ok with a stopgap in RF as well, I would have no issues doing both Moustakas and Calhoun or Moustakas and Puig and seeing what develops at those positions over the next season (Hell, maybe we're even in a position to make a run at Betts or Springer in 2020 if we have a good year), and letting the young guys fill out the rest of the offense. But we aren't going to have a 5 man rotation out of this organization in the next 2 years, and the guys we do have will likely need some development work. 2 true top of the rotation starters are likely available this offseason, that's where we should do the big signing this year. 

Oh, and count me in on Will Smith also. 

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I am ok with a stopgap in RF as well, I would have no issues doing both Moustakas and Calhoun or Moustakas and Puig and seeing what develops at those positions over the next season (Hell, maybe we're even in a position to make a run at Betts or Springer in 2020 if we have a good year), and letting the young guys fill out the rest of the offense. But we aren't going to have a 5 man rotation out of this organization in the next 2 years, and the guys we do have will likely need some development work. 2 true top of the rotation starters are likely available this offseason, that's where we should do the big signing this year. 

You and I see eye to eye on this one. Cole and Gardner are my preferred stop gaps.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I agree...the two best starting pitchers we can get is priority #1.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well yeah, that would be totally fine (depending on the health of Ozuna’s arm) but need to make sure land one or two high impact players.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

If they really want a player he reps and are serious about obtaining his services, yes.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't talk to Boras. I'm saying that they generally don't do business with Boras, and that people shouldn't realistically expect the Sox to sign any of his clients.