JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I’m not saying they are going to sign either guy. I’m saying their agent being Scott Boras isn’t going to stop the Sox from pursuing them. 

I believe this is how it should be approached. Whatever beef they had like 15 years ago shouldn't matter anymore. The man represents a lot of the top talent that the MLB has to offer for a reason. Balking at negotiating with him only does a disservice to your team. If they intend to be serious about taking the next step, this is something that the FO has to get over. 

49 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I believe this is how it should be approached. Whatever beef they had like 15 years ago shouldn't matter anymore. The man represents a lot of the top talent that the MLB has to offer for a reason. Balking at negotiating with him only does a disservice to your team. If they intend to be serious about taking the next step, this is something that the FO has to get over. 

Yep.  FA’s this winter that are Boras clients include Cole, Strasburg, Moose, JDM, Ozuna, and Rendon.

Edited by RTC

9 hours ago, Tony said:

Ozuna for RF scares me. He has 9 games started in RF since 2016, and a TERRIBLE arm. 

Again, I know the options aren't great, and I believe the Sox like Ozuna, but it worries me having two below average, at best, corner OF's 

Yah, definitely not a perfect solution. Frankly there aren’t many. 

12 hours ago, Tony said:

I’m not saying they are going to sign either guy. I’m saying their agent being Scott Boras isn’t going to stop the Sox from pursuing them. 

I think another negative is Boras likes to hold his FA till very late in the off- season.  JDM signed w Boston very late in 2018. Boston held out and eventually got him but I am not sure Hahn has the flexiibilty to hold out and then try and find an option if they lose him. Same w Stras. Hahn may have to blow them off w deals early in the process. 

10 hours ago, Tony said:

As the story goes, it was a dispute in the media about Joe Crede that pissed off the Sox and Boras. That was a long time ago, and it hasn’t stopped the Sox from talking to Boras in the last few years. The Sox not signing Boras clients doesn’t have to do with Boras and JR not talking, it has to do with the Sox never shelling out top dollar for FA’s, most of whom are represented by Scott Boras.

When the Sox want to act like a real, ML team with playoff aspirations, Boras clients will sign with the Sox. Ideally, that’s this offseason. 

Pretty sure the initial beef between us and Boras was the Bobby Seay situation.

11 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

If we have to kiss Boras' ass, then so be it. We need a seat at the big boy table. 

10 hours ago, Tony said:

As the story goes, it was a dispute in the media about Joe Crede that pissed off the Sox and Boras. That was a long time ago, and it hasn’t stopped the Sox from talking to Boras in the last few years. The Sox not signing Boras clients doesn’t have to do with Boras and JR not talking, it has to do with the Sox never shelling out top dollar for FA’s, most of whom are represented by Scott Boras.

When the Sox want to act like a real, ML team with playoff aspirations, Boras clients will sign with the Sox. Ideally, that’s this offseason. 

I believe it was @Dick Allen but I could be wrong on this - one of our posters was a season ticket holder back in 2014 when they drafted Rodon and after finally getting him to sign, over-slot, Hahn held a meeting with season ticket holders, that subject came up, and Hahn sarcastically described the Rodon drafting as having a long and productive discussion with "My good friend Scott Boras". So it's clear they're still not fans of working with him, but they will if they have to. 

They still were the only team to meet with Harper last year at the winter meetings regardless, and the reason they weren't in the discussion at the end was that they low-balled him badly when they put an offer on the table. So I do think Boras likely has an equal beef with the White Sox's FO too.

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Pretty sure the initial beef between us and Boras was the Bobby Seay situation.

I thought that was all Kenny's fault.  No?  I think we lost the draft pick and everything.  Was that before SoxTalk existed?

2 hours ago, Tony said:

This was from last year

"First of all, Jerry is a very knowledgeable baseball person," Boras said Wednesday, choosing his words carefully. "He has been a historic figure in the game. 

"I enjoy talking to him all of the time."

Boras was asked if the contentious relationship from past dealings would impact the future negotiations between him and the White Sox.

"I can't characterize it," Boras said. "Whenever I call him or he calls me, we have a very respectful relationship. We always have good baseball conversations. It is good to talk to a very steady guy. Jerry is very much that about baseball. Yes, I always welcome talking to him."

"I am sure Jerry will do anything that is good business for him," Boras said. "He is a very successful businessman and owner. I would certainly say he has an opportunity to look at a star player as he has done in the past. And  looking at it today, it's an even greater advantage."

https://670thescore.radio.com/chicago-white-sox-jerry-reinsdorf-relationship-scott-boras-bryce-harper

Of course Scott Boras is going to say that, he's a professional. Scott Boras's job is to get money for his clients. The White Sox are a business with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue who might spend some portion of that revenue on his clients. He could hate Jerry Reinsdorf with the passion of a thousand suns but because he's a professional, he doesn't go out in public ripping people who might spend money on his business.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Of course Scott Boras is going to say that, he's a professional. Scott Boras's job is to get money for his clients. The White Sox are a business with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue who might spend some portion of that revenue on his clients. He could hate Jerry Reinsdorf with the passion of a thousand suns but because he's a professional, he doesn't go out in public ripping people who might spend money on his business.

Boras will not block the White Sox if they make the best offer. He certainly doesn't want to lose a client because he has negative feeling about an organization. But he probably won't do us any favors either. Unfortunately, we need him more than he needs us.   

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Are these the Mario Brothers 3 suns? Because they still scare the crap out of me. 

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Sure, but he also didnt need to answer the question in that way - he actually didnt need to answer at all.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but he also didnt need to answer the question in that way - he actually didnt need to answer at all.

He praised a guy who might spend money on his players. It's a perfect reply from a professional. A "no comment" would have come off as a negative, so he says positive things no m atter what he feels. He might believe them. He might feel the exact opposite. But he's a professional and an expert at doing his job, he acts like it.

6 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Would you be upset with an offseason of Wheeler, Keuchel, Grandal, Calhoun, and a bullpen arm?

That's more or less what I expect.  The primary pitcher could be Cole, Strasburg or Wheeler.  If we take Wheeler...the second starter would be from the frequently named second tier of Keuchel, Ryes, Bumgarner, Wood and Odorizzi.

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That's more or less what I expect.  The primary pitcher could be Cole, Strasburg or Wheeler.  If we take Wheeler...the second starter would be from the frequently named second tier of Keuchel, Ryes, Bumgarner, Wood and Odorizzi.

Prepare to be disappointed 

30 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Really? If they get 2 starters, think one of all the names you mentioned and then a tier or two lower than that second one you classified.

I’m not entirely sure why this board is obsessed with signing to starters honestly...are people really expecting a deep playoff run because we sign Wheeler and Odorozzi??

Rodon

Dunning

Cease

Kopech

Lopez

For better or worse, we need to figure out what we have in that group  next year. Spending $ on 2 guys + Gio makes that almost impossible. Obviously we need 1 starter to stabilize things, but no idea why people are so eager to spend big $ on a 3/4 starter like Odorizzi or Keuchle.