Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buehrle>Wood

JD Martinez

Recommended Posts

This is a tough one.  He’s a ridiculous hitter but he’s also going to be expensive and he’s 32 and primarily a DH.  We need a good RF more than a DH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

We need good hitters. JD Martinez is a good hitter. Of course we should be highly interested. Any thought about anything else is non sense 

 

Yes, our offense is not good. Take the upgrades and figure it out later (so long as, with the Rockies, you aren’t taking a SS/CF and putting him at 1b)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This is a tough one.  He’s a ridiculous hitter but he’s also going to be expensive and he’s 32 and primarily a DH.  We need a good RF more than a DH.

I agree that the RF is the priority but DH has been the pits.  RH really needs both positions upgraded substantially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at the DH and RF stats the last few years.

Please this is a no brainer. 

The White Sox need professional hitters and can afford a bad three year contract. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In five years from now, when people ask who won the Chris Sale trade, the correct answer will be JD Martinez. He will have won a World Series in Boston with Sale and one in Chicago with Moncada/Kopech.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Severe 5.9 fWAR falloff to 3.1, just turned 32.

Two years ago, was at 3.8...but also mixed in a 2.3 season (with Detroit), which has been his floor since leaving the Astros.

Seems to be the exactly the kind of risky move the franchise hasn’t taken since Adam Dunn.  Of course, this also keeps Abreu at 1B for at least the 2020 season, while they’re waiting on Vaughn.

Probably puts them at the mid to high 70’s in wins if Kopech and Cease take major steps forward.  Still need at least one more starting pitcher, another bat and one high quality right handed reliever to squint and think they’re an 81-85 win team.

Would be the end of Collins, basically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This is a tough one.  He’s a ridiculous hitter but he’s also going to be expensive and he’s 32 and primarily a DH.  We need a good RF more than a DH.

I prefer Grandal and the  3 catcher system for covering DH.  JD would of course be a massive upgrade if that is the way RH goes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert

Madrigal

Moncada

Martinez

Jimenez

Abreu

RF Free Agent

McCann/Collins

Anderson

 

Shew. Maybe switch Madrigal and Anderson? I'm not the best with lineup construction, but the makings are there for an absurd lineup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chitown87 said:

Robert

Madrigal

Moncada

Martinez

Jimenez

Abreu

RF Free Agent

McCann/Collins

Anderson

 

Shew. Maybe switch Madrigal and Anderson? I'm not the best with lineup construction, but the makings are there for an absurd lineup. 

Mine would be:

Robert

Moncada

Eloy

JDM

Abreu

FA RF?

McCann/Collins

Tim

Madrigal

A lefty power bat would be really nice, but JDM would go a long way towards filling the DH/RF power & production void.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chitown87 said:

Robert

Madrigal

Moncada

Martinez

Jimenez

Abreu

RF Free Agent

McCann/Collins

Anderson

 

Shew. Maybe switch Madrigal and Anderson? I'm not the best with lineup construction, but the makings are there for an absurd lineup. 

Giving the batting champ the fewest PA's probably isn't the best idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Robert CF

2. Madrigal 2B

3. Moncada 3B

4. Marinez DH

5. Eloy LF

6. Abreu 1B

7. Calhoun RF

8. Anderson SS

9. McCann C

No idea what you do with Collins in this scenario as he shouldn't just be relegated to the bench. Unless you straight platoon him McCann or give him about 60% of the catching starts then some starts at 1B and DH when guys have a day off.

Edited lineup for those who think the 4-spot is way too low (lol) in the order for Martinez:

1. Robert CF

2. Moncada 3B

3. Marinez DH

4. Eloy LF

5. Abreu 1B

6. Calhoun RF

7. Anderson SS

8. McCann C

9. Madrigal 2B (not a bad way to hand it over to the top)

 

 

Edited by soxfan2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This is a tough one.  He’s a ridiculous hitter but he’s also going to be expensive and he’s 32 and primarily a DH.  We need a good RF more than a DH.

I'll go ahead an take an elite hitter on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Severe 5.9 fWAR falloff to 3.1, just turned 32.

Two years ago, was at 3.8...but also mixed in a 2.3 season (with Detroit), which has been his floor since leaving the Astros.

Seems to be the exactly the kind of risky move the franchise hasn’t taken since Adam Dunn.  Of course, this also keeps Abreu at 1B for at least the 2020 season, while they’re waiting on Vaughn.

Probably puts them at the mid to high 70’s in wins if Kopech and Cease take major steps forward.  Still need at least one more starting pitcher, another bat and one high quality right handed reliever to squint and think they’re an 81-85 win team.

Would be the end of Collins, basically.

Did you use WAR to evaluate David Ortiz as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Giving the batting champ the fewest PA's probably isn't the best idea.

It's the 4-spot. It's not like you're sticking him 6th or 7th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Levine this morning was asked about why everyone was saying this, and doesnt seem to think it's a great idea.

That's because Bruce Levine is a dumb ass

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

1. Robert CF

2. Madrigal 2B

3. Moncada 3B

4. Marinez DH

5. Eloy LF

6. Abreu 1B

7. Calhoun RF

8. Anderson SS

9. McCann C

No idea what you do with Collins in this scenario as he shouldn't just be relegated to the bench. Unless you straight platoon him McCann or give him about 60% of the catching starts then some starts at 1B and DH when guys have a day off.

Edited lineup for those who think the 4-spot is way too low (lol) in the order for Martinez:

1. Robert CF

2. Moncada 3B

3. Marinez DH

4. Eloy LF

5. Abreu 1B

6. Calhoun RF

7. Anderson SS

8. McCann C

9. Madrigal 2B (not a bad way to hand it over to the top)

 

 

So much good stuff that you are under utilizing someone no matter how you do the lineup.  Nice problem that even Ricky couldn't screw up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C               1B        2B             SS               3B          LF       CF     RF   DH

McCann-Abreu-Madrigal-Anderson-Moncada-Eloy-Robert-JD-Collins 

Collins-Abreu-Madrigal-Anderson-Moncada-Eloy-Robert-Leury-JD

McCann-Collins-Madrigal-Anderson-Moncada-Eloy-JD-Abreu

 

You could basically use the DH to rotate JD,Abreu and Collins through.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×