White Sox final win total

gusguyman

12 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

The final win total is completely irrelevant at this point.  Just short of 70 wins, just over - who cares!  

What matters now is officially moving out of “rebuild” mode and all of the losing that goes along with that, and transitioning into winning mode, and trying to compete for a championship.  

So let these remaining games play out however they do, and then let’s get to the offseason and the owner/FO’s plan to take us to the next level.  

Once and for all, let Reinsdorf and Williams/Hahn prove their mettle and worth by taking the core built through the rebuild and turning it into a sustainable and repeatable winning product on the field.  

The most important part of your post is the transition concept. The franchise can no longer expect fans to watch games like the one in Seattle because the Sox are rebuilding. Young players are developing, and more will be here in 2020. But it is time to supplement the rebuild with some proven players. It is time to move on to the next level, at least a .500 level. 

The FO has to do something significant this off season. Losing to teams like Seattle and Kansas City doesn't cut it.

6 hours ago, NWINFan said:

The most important part of your post is the transition concept. The franchise can no longer expect fans to watch games like the one in Seattle because the Sox are rebuilding. Young players are developing, and more will be here in 2020. But it is time to supplement the rebuild with some proven players. It is time to move on to the next level, at least a .500 level. 

The FO has to do something significant this off season. Losing to teams like Seattle and Kansas City doesn't cut it.

In the last 3 series, the Sox lost 2 of 3 games  to the LA Angels, Kansas City, and Seattle.  Teams that are 14, 40, and 26 games below .500.  The Sox are now a season low 19 games under .500. The scary part is that we are at this point even though Giolito, Anderson, and Moncada have had fantastic seasons and Jimenez has already made a huge impact.  McCann had an excellent 1st half and Marshall, Bummer, and Colome have been very good out of the bullpen. Will they be this good again next year?

I know we've got Robert and Madrigal coming up next year and a few pitchers back from TJ surgery,  But is that enough to make up the huge chasm between us and Minnesota and Cleveland (21-26 games behind them in the standings)?

That's why it's paramount that Hahn step out of character and not screw up any FA signings.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

Once and for all, let Reinsdorf and Williams/Hahn prove their mettle and worth by taking the core built through the rebuild and turning it into a sustainable and repeatable winning product on the field.  

Looks like another 90 loss season for Rick Hahn.   He slept through the July trading period and is using September to take care of the organizational minor leaguers, instead of developing talent.  How long do Williams and Hahn get to try?  Per the modern rebuilds, we should contend next season.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, bubba phillips said:

In the last 3 series, the Sox lost 2 of 3 games  to the LA Angels, Kansas City, and Seattle.  Teams that are 14, 40, and 26 games below .500.  The Sox are now a season low 19 games under .500. The scary part is that we are at this point even though Giolito, Anderson, and Moncada have had fantastic seasons and Jimenez has already made a huge impact.  McCann had an excellent 1st half and Marshall, Bummer, and Colome have been very good out of the bullpen. Will they be this good again next year?

I know we've got Robert and Madrigal coming up next year and a few pitchers back from TJ surgery,  But is that enough to make up the huge chasm between us and Minnesota and Cleveland (21-26 games behind them in the standings)?

That's why it's paramount that Hahn step out of character and not screw up any FA signings.

What is amazing about this season is that Giolito, Anderson, and Moncada have had break-out seasons, and Abreu is competing for the RBI title, yet the team is still no where near the .500 mark. You are right to wonder if the Sox can close the gap between them and the Twins and Indians. It is hard to predict what kind of year 2020 will be.

34 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

What is amazing about this season is that Giolito, Anderson, and Moncada have had break-out seasons, and Abreu is competing for the RBI title, yet the team is still no where near the .500 mark. You are right to wonder if the Sox can close the gap between them and the Twins and Indians. It is hard to predict what kind of year 2020 will be.

We will know the answer to this when we see the two starting pitchers...right fielder and DH acquired this offseason.  If they include two of Cole, Wheeler, Bumgarner, Wood or Strasburg and perhaps Grandal and Pederson...we will be seriously in the hunt.  If Nova types are in the equation it will be a frustration for sure.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Looks like another 90 loss season for Rick Hahn.   He slept through the July trading period and is using September to take care of the organizational minor leaguers, instead of developing talent.  How long do Williams and Hahn get to try?  Per the modern rebuilds, we should contend next season.

As currently configured, we are nowhere near ready to contend.  

Despite the encouraging breakout seasons by some of the core members, overall, this team still doesn’t get on base near enough, nor does it slug enough.  It still walks way too many hitters while not striking out enough of them.  And they still make wayyyyyy too many errors.  

It’s how Hahn transitions now from the non-core players responsible for the team being at the bottom of MLB in most meaningful offense, pitching, and defensive stats to guys who will help the core players bring the dramatic improvement needed to elevate the team’s overall performance.   

On 9/16/2019 at 5:17 PM, NWINFan said:

The biggest addition for next offseason will be the addition by subtraction.

Skole, Delmonico, Reed, Rondon, Jay, Castillo and Alonso accounted for -6.6 WAR.

Santana, Banuelos and Detwiler  accounted for -1.6 WAR. 

Covey somehow accounted for just -.1 WAR despite 50+ innings of an ERA at 8. 

On 9/16/2019 at 5:58 PM, poppysox said:

We will know the answer to this when we see the two starting pitchers...right fielder and DH acquired this offseason.  If they include two of Cole, Wheeler, Bumgarner, Wood or Strasburg and perhaps Grandal and Pederson...we will be seriously in the hunt.  If Nova types are in the equation it will be a frustration for sure.

Yes, it is obvious the team needs pitching since Cease and Kopech will be developing and Lopez is an enigma. And they can't have Goins or anyone like him going out to right field. The team needs a real outfielder in that position even if he is not a slugger.

As of now, the offseason is still something to speculate about. But frustration describes it in an under-stated way if the team has another 90-loss season.

54 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Yes, it is obvious the team needs pitching since Cease and Kopech will be developing and Lopez is an enigma. And they can't have Goins or anyone like him going out to right field. The team needs a real outfielder in that position even if he is not a slugger.

As of now, the offseason is still something to speculate about. But frustration describes it in an under-stated way if the team has another 90-loss season.

The time to turn the corner from all of this losing is upon us!

On 9/16/2019 at 6:58 PM, poppysox said:

Before we even get to FA, the FO has to decide on the status of the coaching staff.  Bringing back RR, McEwing, Steverson and Cooper will also be "frustration for sure". Based on the improvement we have seen, I think Steverson should be retained. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

Before we even get to FA, the FO has to decide on the status of the coaching staff.  Bringing back RR, McEwing, Steverson and Cooper will also be "frustration for sure". Based on the improvement we have seen, I think Steverson should be retained. 

I think we probably know the answer to that.  

All of these fellas (and good, 'ol Daryl Boston as well) presided over all of the losing that led up to the need to rebuild, on teams that were supposed to win but didn't, and yet each of them managed to retain their jobs during the rebuild. 

Hard to believe, at this point, that any of them are in jeopardy of being removed from their posts, particularly when we know how the loyalty program plays itself out in this organization.  

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, poppysox said:

Your optimism amazes me. I wish I felt the same way about the White Sox signing some good free agents. I hope you"re right.

On 9/18/2019 at 12:04 PM, Thad Bosley said:

The time to turn the corner from all of this losing is upon us!

Somebody's gotta have a plan regarding the pitching staff. We're not winning squat if our starters are as inconsistent as they were this season. Also our bullpen blows. It really does. It's Colome who is excellent and Bummer who I consider average.

On 9/18/2019 at 2:58 PM, WBWSF said:

Your optimism amazes me. I wish I felt the same way about the White Sox signing some good free agents. I hope you"re right.

I want to believe in the rebuild and RH.  His moves to acquire Mancada, Kopech, Madrigal, Lopez, Anderson, Gioleto, Robert, Cease, McCann, Bummer, Colome and Jimenez are A+++.   That makes half a team of star potential at as low cost as can be.  With the financial resources now available...most of us could acquire the 6 to 8 key players needed to complete the rebuild.  We definitely will be in the hunt in 2020 IMO.