Nick Castellanos

2Deep

I'm curious to get everybody's take on this guy.  Is the real Nick C the guy we saw in Detroit or the guy we have seen with the Cubs.  I'm not sure what to make of him.  Also, is this a guy that we want to go after and potentially play RF for us?

Interested in your thoughts......

Just now, 2Deep said:

I'm curious to get everybody's take on this guy.  Is the real Nick C the guy we saw in Detroit or the guy we have seen with the Cubs.  I'm not sure what to make of him.  Also, is this a guy that we want to go after and potentially play RF for us?

Interested in your thoughts......

Castellanos and JD Martinez are DH only. Castellanos is an option at 1B. If they want to sign both, I have no problems and they can let Abreu go and trade Vaughn for an MLB ready RF with lots of control. 

He’s not a RF. He’s been good with the Cubs, but he’s a pass for me. Not a great fit and not a good enough stick for DH and Abreu playing 1B fulltime isn’t my priority. 

That being said, I’d definitely prefer him to many other options, so we’ll have to see how the offseason shapes up - just feel like with some creativity there are better fits. 

I know people hate the idea of Kole Calhoun in RF, but he's been worth 1.7 fWAR and that's still a huge upgrade from the flaming pile of horseshit the Sox have in RF now, and he has hit 28 HR from the left side. Calhoun is what we hope Collins becomes. If he's super cheap, why not? He's slashed .230/.326/.784 this year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I know people hate the idea of Kole Calhoun in RF, but he's been worth 1.7 fWAR and that's still a huge upgrade from the flaming pile of horseshit the Sox have in RF now, and he has hit 28 HR from the left side. Calhoun is what we hope Collins becomes. If he's super cheap, why not? He's slashed .230/.326/.784 this year. 

Because we’re running out of spots to add difference makers at.  Yes, Calhoun would be a tremendous upgrade over the trash we’ve played in RF, but are two win upgrades at our weak spots going to be enough to get us to ~88 wins?

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because we’re running out of spots to add difference makers at.  Yes, Calhoun would be a tremendous upgrade over the trash we’ve played in RF, but are two win upgrades at our weak spots going to be enough to get us to ~88 wins?

There aren't a lot of decent RF in the market. Upgrade other spots. This is assuming that you sign JD Martinez for DH and Abreu for 1B on a 1-year deal. 

If they can pull off Mazara on the cheap or Nimmo without giving up Madrigal, by all means I'd rather do that. More upside there. 

I'm in the camp of Mazara for lotto tickets at this point. Other options are cost prohibitive without the upside. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

The Sox have negative 3.4 bWAR in RF and negative 2.5 bWAR at DH right now.  2 WAR players at either position is a 10 win increase based on this year.  That is how bad they have been at those positions.

And Castellanos is quickly showing how effective he can be playing in a better hitters park.  I would take him 10 out of 10 times over Puig or Calhoun.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Castellanos and JD Martinez are DH only. Castellanos is an option at 1B. If they want to sign both, I have no problems and they can let Abreu go and trade Vaughn for an MLB ready RF with lots of control. 

They not trading Vaughn...they just aren't. I have a feeling Castellanos is riding a wave right now. The Cubs will get a big chubby over his last month and give him a nice fat 3-4 year contract and regret it by June (which will be more icing on the cake for those choads).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wanne said:

They not trading Vaughn...they just aren't. I have a feeling Castellanos is riding a wave right now. The Cubs will get a big chubby over his last month and give him a nice fat 3-4 year contract and regret it by June (which will be more icing on the cake for those choads).

If they're not trading Vaughn, and they're 99% sure going to sign Abreu, then neither Castellanos nor Martinez makes good sense to me, because they're both DH types and neither Vaughn nor Abreu is moving off 1b. The only way those DH options work is if Abreu is signed for one year, and it seems like we all expect more than that. 

Signing 2 expensive DH/1b types when we just drafted a DH/1b...seems like an iffy long term strategy to me.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

We can always trade away players when one comes knocking on the door. 

Do we really want to sign 2 different guys in their 30s to be 1b/DH types and trade away the guy in his early 20s at that spot? Are we that close right now that we'll pay $35-50 million on the 1b/DH spot next year to fill those roles next year, and then be willing to trade away the young 1b while still paying those prices? 

If we weren't keeping Abreu, Castellanos or Martinez make sense. If Abreu is on a 1 year deal, they make sense. If Abreu's going to be here for the rest of his career, then going all in on another DH and keeping Abreu at 1b...not a fan.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Do we really want to sign 2 different guys in their 30s to be 1b/DH types and trade away the guy in his early 20s at that spot? Are we that close right now that we'll pay $35-50 million on the 1b/DH spot next year to fill those roles next year, and then be willing to trade away the young 1b while still paying those prices? 

If we weren't keeping Abreu, Castellanos or Martinez make sense. If Abreu is on a 1 year deal, they make sense. If Abreu's going to be here for the rest of his career, then going all in on another DH and keeping Abreu at 1b...not a fan.

I was saying you can trade castellanos. Or not, maybe you make it work. But holding spots across seasons is ridiculous to me when we are only taking about b- free agents on 2-3 year deals.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I was under the impression that they were referring to trading away a veteran when the young guy is ready, but maybe I misinterpreted that. 

51 minutes ago, bmags said:

Regardless it’s moveable. He won’t get a NTC

With these DH only types, moving them could be a little difficult. Not a lot of teams need a true DH, especially when they're a few years older than this, and then you knock out any rebuilding teams, teams like Tampa Bay that won't pay that money, and teams that have their own DH, and you only have a couple options.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

With these DH only types, moving them could be a little difficult. Not a lot of teams need a true DH, especially when they're a few years older than this, and then you knock out any rebuilding teams, teams like Tampa Bay that won't pay that money, and teams that have their own DH, and you only have a couple options.

If that’s the case, then there shouldn’t be much competition to sign JDM, right?  (assuming we even want to pursue him)

13 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If that’s the case, then there shouldn’t be much competition to sign JDM, right?  (assuming we even want to pursue him)

I do think that's true, but the Red Sox are also competition at least for him. Castellanos I don't know. I could definitely see a situation where he overplays his market, turns down a 2 year deal sometime early in the offseason, and winds up as one of the last guys standing at the end of February.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

But the return doesn’t matter, the roster position does. EE exchanged hands twice (three times?) last year, moving players isn’t hard when you don’t need a return to justify the movement.