Nick Castellanos

2Deep

remember, we have to have room for Collins to get 450+ AB as well in a C/1B/DH role.

I don't think next year is going to be a championship year regardless of the lineup.  We are relying on 2 rookie starting pitchers, with all the inconsistency that brings, as well as projecting Lopez to be better.

Give Collins his AB, Abreu a short term contract and find a reasonable RF.  Lots of questions will be answered in one more year.

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

If they sign Martinez for DH, would you rather see Castellanos or Abreu at 1B?

Abreu, by quite a bit.  

I like Martinez, but I just really don't think he's a great long term fit unless the Sox aren't nearly as serious about keeping Abreu as they've led on, or if for some reason they already know they plan to trade Vaughn a couple months after drafting him....which seems unlikely.

Or the Sox think they can stick Martinez in RF.  Which would be an awful idea.  I really hope they aren't that stupid.  

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Abreu, by quite a bit.  

I like Martinez, but I just really don't think he's a great long term fit unless the Sox aren't nearly as serious about keeping Abreu as they've led on, or if for some reason they already know they plan to trade Vaughn a couple months after drafting him....which seems unlikely.

Or the Sox think they can stick Martinez in RF.  Which would be an awful idea.  I really hope they aren't that stupid.  

I agree with your sentiments

24 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

remember, we have to have room for Collins to get 450+ AB as well in a C/1B/DH role.

I don't think next year is going to be a championship year regardless of the lineup.  We are relying on 2 rookie starting pitchers, with all the inconsistency that brings, as well as projecting Lopez to be better.

Give Collins his AB, Abreu a short term contract and find a reasonable RF.  Lots of questions will be answered in one more year.

Kopech and who?

27 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

It's time to get over the hump and start competing.

Castellanos sure had an incredible amount of doubles for the Tigers. He also led the league in triples once. He'll be 28 next year, and in

the right park he could do some real damage. He doesn't walk enough, and his defense is lousy any where you put him. Who knows, maybe

he could play a passable 1b. Seems the Sox have enough of those on the 40 man roster already. I once looked at stats for slugging 1B and OF

guys and how their bats held up at their age 33 season. HOF guys didn't have a problem. Guys who were close to but not great plummeted.

The obvious question is which type of player is Jose Abreu? If he had been born else where and made it to the Majors at 21-22. would his stats stack up?

Defense aside, I don't know which guy he will be. If he's a close to but not great, he might crater next year and be out produced by Castellanos.

When the Cubs traded for Castellanos, there was a graphic showing all his flyouts at Comerica that would be HR's at Wrigley.  Not sure how much the change of ballpark helped, but he's obviously doing quite well and probably playing himself out of our price range.  Sure, we can pay up, but knowing the Sox, that would be the big acquisition of the offseason, and I think we'd all be pretty disappointed.  I can't see them forking out the cash for Castellanos and a top starter.  

Any guesses on Castellanos's next contract?  $75-80M over 5 years?  2020 will be his age 28 season, so he's still relatively young.  

Edited by bighurt574

7 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

When the Cubs traded for Castellanos, there was a graphic showing all his flyouts at Comerica that would be HR's at Wrigley.  Not sure how much the change of ballpark helped, but he's obviously doing quite well and probably playing himself out of our price range.  Sure, we can pay up, but knowing the Sox, that would be the big acquisition of the offseason, and I think we'd all be pretty disappointed.  I can't see them forking out the cash for Castellanos and a top starter.  

Any guesses on Castellanos's next contract?  $75-80M over 5 years?  2020 will be his age 28 season, so he's still relatively young.  

I'll bet he gets at least 16 million a year. The years length is the question. If he accepted a 3 year deal he might get 18-20 MPY.

4 hours ago, zisk said:

Castellanos sure had an incredible amount of doubles for the Tigers. He also led the league in triples once. He'll be 28 next year, and in

the right park he could do some real damage. He doesn't walk enough, and his defense is lousy any where you put him. Who knows, maybe

he could play a passable 1b. Seems the Sox have enough of those on the 40 man roster already. I once looked at stats for slugging 1B and OF

guys and how their bats held up at their age 33 season. HOF guys didn't have a problem. Guys who were close to but not great plummeted.

The obvious question is which type of player is Jose Abreu? If he had been born else where and made it to the Majors at 21-22. would his stats stack up?

Defense aside, I don't know which guy he will be. If he's a close to but not great, he might crater next year and be out produced by Castellanos.

You lost me at "defense is lousy any where you put him."

Would you guys be happy with this offseason?  

-Resign Abreu 2 years - $30M

-Sign Castellanos 4 years - $60M

-Sign Kole Calhoun 1 year - $10M

-Sign Zack Wheeler 4 years - $70M

-Sign Alex Wood 1 year - $8M

-Sign Chris Martin (RP) 2 years $12M

Payroll would be right about ~$120M. 

Lineup by May 1: 

Robert CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B/DH, Eloy LF, Castellanos 1B/DH, Calhoun RF, Anderson SS, McCann C, Madrigal 2B 

BN: Leury, Yolmer/Mendick, Collins

It wouldn't be my first choice (give me Grandal over Castellanos and I'd like it alot more), but I certainly wouldn't be mad about it.  Pretty righty heavy, but going to be tough to solve that honestly.  

50 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lineup by May 1: 

Robert CF, Moncada 3B, Abreu 1B/DH, Eloy LF, Castellanos 1B/DH, Calhoun RF, Anderson SS, McCann C, Madrigal 2B 

It wouldn't be my first choice (give me Grandal over Castellanos and I'd like it alot more), but I certainly wouldn't be mad about it.  Pretty righty heavy, but going to be tough to solve that honestly.  

If JDM or Grandal are off the board, I'd be cool with this.  Mostly because Wheeler and Wood are high on my list.

54 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lineup by May 1: 

You can probably add a defensive-first OF (Engel? Free agent?) to the bench since rosters expand to 26.

Edited by soxfan2014

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lineup by May 1: 

I'd be more than fine with this! 

On 9/10/2019 at 6:59 PM, Wanne said:

They not trading Vaughn...they just aren't. I have a feeling Castellanos is riding a wave right now. The Cubs will get a big chubby over his last month and give him a nice fat 3-4 year contract and regret it by June (which will be more icing on the cake for those choads).

Agree.

Our RF plays for the Phillies.⁰

On September 11, 2019 at 1:05 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed.  I'm not an Abreu hater but the more I think about it, resigning him  complicates what FA then makes sense in building a good roster.  Sign Jose plus one of JDM/Castellanos and, when Vaughn comes up I don't see how you don't end up with either someone playing RF that really shouldn't, a bench spot taken up by a DH, or Vaughn playing as little as Collins did.  I think they have to choose between Abreu, JDM, and Castellanos and then work around that.

I'd take Jose over Castellanos, but in a perfect world I'd want JDM with Moustakas at 1B until Vaughn comes up and then you've got a LH bat with decent defense that can start 4 days/wk around the diamond and pinch hit.

7 minutes ago, RTC said:

Agreed.  I'm not an Abreu hater but the more I think about it, resigning him  complicates what FA then makes sense in building a good roster.  Sign Jose plus one of JDM/Castellanos and, when Vaughn comes up I don't see how you don't end up with either someone playing RF that really shouldn't, a bench spot taken up by a DH, or Vaughn playing as little as Collins did.  I think they have to choose between Abreu, JDM, and Castellanos and then work around that.

I'd take Jose over Castellanos, but in a perfect world I'd want JDM with Moustakas at 1B until Vaughn comes up and then you've got a LH bat with decent defense that can start 4 days/wk around the diamond and pinch hit.

Keep Leury and other in-house options in RF all season in this scenario?