James McCann - catcher of the future ?

Colinski

There is no more slam dunk of a free agent for the Sox than Grandal.

We have young players we have developed controllable for at least three seasons at 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, SP1, SP3, SP4 & SP5 and a bunch of maybes at 1B/DH/OF. Invest in catcher. Plug the high OBP, switch-hitting veteran catcher in the #5 or #6 hole and never think twice about it. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 1:44 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think that, I think McCann had a career year. This level of performance should not be expected to be duplicated. In 2019, he was a starting quality catcher. 

His luck has mostly regressed in the second half, but despite that Statcast would suggest he should be a league average hitter.  Are you saying he can’t repeat that and if so why?  He’s actually made mechanical adjustments this year that might be help driving these results.

12 minutes ago, raBBit said:

We have young players we have developed controllable for at least three seasons at 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, SP1, SP3, SP4 & SP5 and a bunch of maybes at 1B/DH/OF. Invest in catcher. Plug the high OBP, switch-hitting veteran catcher in the #5 or #6 hole and never think twice about it. 

Without question it’s what we should do and I’ll be pretty pissed if the Sox show no interest.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Without question it’s what we should do and I’ll be pretty pissed if the Sox show no interest.

People keep talking about JD Martinez signing with the Sox. That would mean they're going with McCann and Collins at C, unless they're trading Collins. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I guess I am not operating under the assumption that Collins has earned a chance to play everyday like you are.

I am not operating under that assumption either, but at the same time Collins will be 25 next year. You have to see what you have there after spending a 1st round pick on him. Not to mention the Sox scouts have always really liked him. 

If you know anything about my opinion on Collins I'd rather they trade him if he has any sort of value. However,  I'm struggling to see where the Sox are going to get LH power and OBP from besides him, even when you consider the trade market and FA. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I am not operating under that assumption either, but at the same time Collins will be 25 next year. You have to see what you have there after spending a 1st round pick on him. Not to mention the Sox scouts have always really liked him. 

So I guess Fulmer should get a spot too?

I am concerned with having the best baseball team. Not rationalizing moves from years ago. People get injured. Collins should be in a position to step up if an injury occurs. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

So I guess Fulmer should get a spot too?

I am concerned with having the best baseball team. Not rationalizing moves from years ago. People get injured. Collins should be in a position to step up if an injury occurs. 

Fulmer has had plenty of chances. Collins has barely had one. Read my addendum to why I think he should get a chance next year. The options for LH power and OBP are scarce in the FA market and via trade. I doubt the Cubs would trade Schwarber to the Sox after what happened with Quintana. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Fulmer has had plenty of chances. Collins has barely had one. Read my addendum to why I think he should get a chance next year. The options for LH power and OBP are scarce in the FA market and via trade. 

I want to win. If the Sox want to win they will address the holes they have and not hand people roles based on where they were drafted in 2016.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I want to win. If the Sox want to win they will address the holes they have and not hand people roles based on where they were drafted in 2016.

It's already hard enough for them to fill the RF hole. As of this moment, Moncada is the only LHB vs. RHP in the entire lineup. You can't have 8 RH batters in a lineup, or 9 when facing a LHP. It makes it really easy to manage against in the late innings. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I guess I am not operating under the assumption that Collins has earned a chance to play everyday like you are.

I think you have to give him a shot last year after the changed he made after he was sent down again this year.  You absolutely have to see if that change sticks.  If he was sent back down a laid an egg, I would agree with you.  But so far, I think he certainly deserves a look next year to see what he can do. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soulfly said:

I think you have to give him a shot last year after the changed he made after he was sent down again this year.  You absolutely have to see if that change sticks.  If he was sent back down a laid an egg, I would agree with you.  But so far, I think he certainly deserves a look next year to see what he can do. 

I have no problem giving him a shot to get some ABs - especially with the additonal roster spot. I don't feel the need to hand him an every day position. We should go into 2020 with the scenario that in the situation an intended regular gets hurt, we have a capable alternative in waiting. Whether that's on the bench and taking on expanded role or in AAA, Collins is one of those guys for me.

I would like to sign Grandal and have Abreu/Grandal/McCann and Collins handle C-1B-DH. Trade for Pederson and plug him in RF once Robert is up. 

R CF Robert

S 3B Moncada

R 1B/DH Abreu

S C/DH Grandal

R LF Jimenez

L RF Pederson

R SS Anderson

R/L DH/C/1B McCann/Collins

R 2B Madrigal

18 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I have no problem giving him a shot to get some ABs - especially with the additonal roster spot. I don't feel the need to hand him an every day position. We should go into 2020 with the scenario that in the situation an intended regular gets hurt, we have a capable alternative in waiting. Whether that's on the bench and taking on expanded role or in AAA, Collins is one of those guys for me.

I would like to sign Grandal and have Abreu/Grandal/McCann and Collins handle C-1B-DH. Trade for Pederson and plug him in RF once Robert is up. 

R CF Robert

S 3B Moncada

R 1B/DH Abreu

S C/DH Grandal

R LF Jimenez

L RF Pederson

R SS Anderson

R 2B Madrigal

What do you think it would take to get Joc and would your expectation be that we extend him?

11 minutes ago, raBBit said:

R CF Robert

S 3B Moncada

R 1B/DH Abreu

S C/DH Grandal

R LF Jimenez

L RF Pederson

R SS Anderson

R 2B Madrigal

Collins had a .950 OPS in AAA...not much different than Robert.  He's lefty, catches and has an elite batting eye.  He's only 24, has a strong pedigree and has gotten better each year.  Why wouldn't you give him a chance?  Why are people not more excited about him?   Use Grandall money on Cole. 

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Collins had a .950 OPS in AAA...not much different than Robert.  He's lefty, catches and has an elite batting eye.  He's only 24, has a strong pedigree and has gotten better each year.  Why wouldn't you give him a chance?  Why are people not more excited about him?   Use Grandall money on Cole. 

Grandal money is going to be a third or less than what Cole gets.  It makes more sense to sign Grandal.  Cole is a pipe dream.

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Grandal money is going to be a third or less than what Cole gets.  It makes more sense to sign Grandal.  Cole is a pipe dream.

It’s going to be less than 1/3 at this point. Grandal will get 4/70 at the absolute most. I think 3/60ish will be the deal.

With the season Cole has had, Id be shocked if he got less than 7/225. 

4 hours ago, raBBit said:

Do you know something that we don't? If so, are you allowed to share? 

Edited by Jack Parkman