James McCann - catcher of the future ?

Colinski

8 hours ago, Colinski said:

I created the thread to hear opposing views so defo don’t think you are being a dick.

i think he’s changed his batting approach significantly enough to say he isn’t the same hitter as the one who took those Detroit at bats. 

If your expectation is the the goes back to being a .240/300 player I hope you will be wrong. My view is he’s a 260/320 next year, good for a number 8 in the line up and 2 war Catcher. 

I hope I’m wrong too...and in fairness I don’t think McCann is a bad player that doesn’t deserve to be on the roster. I’m just in no rush to extend him and would prefer he be in a backup role. 

I have a hard time ignoring sample sizes and the fact that the only 1/2 of a season McCann has been a plus hitter in he had a .408 BABIP. However, I don’t think .260/.320/.400 is unrealistic....I wouldn’t bet on it though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I hope I’m wrong too...and in fairness I don’t think McCann is a bad player that doesn’t deserve to be on the roster. I’m just in no rush to extend him and would prefer he be in a backup role. 

I have a hard time ignoring sample sizes and the fact that the only 1/2 of a season McCann has been a plus hitter in he had a .408 BABIP. However, I don’t think .260/.320/.400 is unrealistic....I wouldn’t bet on it though.

McCann was an All Star catcher and you want him for a backup role.  What does a guy need to do to get a little respect?  I want Grandal and McCann as a catching/DH tandem.  Collins can be mentored by two good major league catchers.

30 minutes ago, poppysox said:

McCann was an All Star catcher and you want him for a backup role.  What does a guy need to do to get a little respect?  I want Grandal and McCann as a catching/DH tandem.  Collins can be mentored by two good major league catchers.

He needs to do it for more than 250 plate appearances.  McCann’s numbers fell apart in the second half...

.227 AVG .282 OBP .409 SLG .691 OPS

Not to mention, he has never hit this well in his entire career.  Some people don’t think he will keep it up and there’s legitimate reason to be skeptical.  Grandal would strengthen the lineup with his power lefty bat and also provide coverage at catcher in case McCann falls back down to his old Tigers offense.  That said, I do like the rotation idea at catcher, DH, and 1B of Grandal, McCann, and Collins.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

And his numbers fell apart after the All Star break.  Not to mention, he has never hit this well in his entire career.  Some people don’t think he will keep it up and there’s legitimate reason to be skeptical.  Grandal would strength the lineup and provide coverage at catcher in case McCann falls back down to his Tigers offense.  That said, I do like the rotation idea at catcher, DH, and 1B of Grandal, McCann, and Collins.

I think McCann's fall off is more a factor of the beating catchers take in a season.  Sharing the job keeps everybody stronger for the entire season.  The 3 catcher program greatly improves both positions IMO and serves as an insurance policy against injury in a key position.

59 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I think McCann's fall off is more a factor of the beating catchers take in a season.  Sharing the job keeps everybody stronger for the entire season.  The 3 catcher program greatly improves both positions IMO and serves as an insurance policy against injury in a key position.

I’m sure that’s part of it but only 250 really good plate appearances from McCann isn’t enough to convince me that’s he’s a perennial All Star caliber catcher now.  I would still go hard after Grandal.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, Colinski said:

Defo don’t think he’s a regular all-star.

lets say you are right about Grandel (I’ve not ever really disagreed)

would you rather have Grandel/Collins/McCann catcher and DH combination or spend the money on JD Martinez to DH?

Grandal.  JD will be expensive and will bring nothing to the defensive side.

On a side note, this was my first created topic on this forum. I’m very opinionated as are the rest of the board at times, but I love hearing other opinions as I don’t want to be in an echo chamber. 

I just want to thank everyone who posted for being open, constructive, explaining their opinions and not resorting to name calling like on some other posts. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

If I haven’t seen your other posts I would think this is 100% sarcasm. Sadly, I know you’re being serious. 

19 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Good point.  I like the idea of acquiring Joc but only if they can lock him up.  Otherwise, you are giving up talent for one year of his services.

And that is the definition of idiotic. Who the hell gives up free agency ? An extension with a new team like the White Sox would have practically zero chance of happening. I see why others like Arenado get locked up but no chance with Pederson. I have no idea why anyone would think he should be an option. Whatever you give up is too much for just a year. Let's just repeat the Samardzija deal . That worked out swell.

8 hours ago, Colinski said:

Defo don’t think he’s a regular all-star.

lets say you are right about Grandel (I’ve not ever really disagreed)

would you rather have Grandel/Collins/McCann catcher and DH combination or spend the money on JD Martinez to DH?

Grandel/Collins/McCann

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And that is the definition of idiotic. Who the hell gives up free agency ? An extension with a new team like the White Sox would have practically zero chance of happening. I see why others like Arenado get locked up but no chance with Pederson. I have no idea why anyone would think he should be an option. Whatever you give up is too much for just a year. Let's just repeat the Samardzija deal . That worked out swell.

Yeah, I can’t argue with you.

On 9/21/2019 at 5:28 PM, TheFutureIsNear said:

McCann is better than what we have had for some years. I would sign him and try not to lose him. Someone else will sign him. 

17 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Seeing the progress of Moncada, Anderson and Jimenez & a more dollars couldn't hurt

Grandal was quoted as saying he wanted to play for a contender.  Sox are certainly going to look much more like a contender next season than this past.  I also don't see him turning down a 3/$60M type off like he did last offseason.