James McCann - catcher of the future ?

Colinski

I'd really like Grandal and rotate him and Collins between DH/1B/C.  I said it before but I have a feeling they will look at Grandal as a luxury and not a need since we have McCann and Collins.  That is an easy solution for a lefty bat though.  Iirc, Grandal falls apart the 2nd half of the year at the plate.  Maybe he would welcome being able to DH.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'd really like Grandal and rotate him and Collins between DH/1B/C.  I said it before but I have a feeling they will look at Grandal as a luxury and not a need since we have McCann and Collins.  That is an easy solution for a lefty bat though.  Iirc, Grandal falls apart the 2nd half of the year at the plate.  Maybe he would welcome being able to DH.

With the 3 catcher rotation you can play matchups and have well rested players in the catcher position that easily wears a guy out.  As I have said before...I like having Collins getting mentored by 2 competent catchers as an added benefit.

On 9/23/2019 at 2:51 PM, poppysox said:

With the 3 catcher rotation you can play matchups and have well rested players in the catcher position that easily wears a guy out.  As I have said before...I like having Collins getting mentored by 2 competent catchers as an added benefit.

Completely agree.  The days of guys like Fisk seem to be gone like starting pitchers getting complete games.  37 year old Molina caught all 19 innings last night for Cards!  Cap tip to him and yes he is not catching the day game today.  They look like Ozzies sunday lineup lol.

On 9/22/2019 at 8:36 AM, Moan4Yoan said:

He needs to do it for more than 250 plate appearances.  McCann’s numbers fell apart in the second half...

.227 AVG .282 OBP .409 SLG .691 OPS

Not to mention, he has never hit this well in his entire career.  Some people don’t think he will keep it up and there’s legitimate reason to be skeptical.  Grandal would strengthen the lineup with his power lefty bat and also provide coverage at catcher in case McCann falls back down to his old Tigers offense.  That said, I do like the rotation idea at catcher, DH, and 1B of Grandal, McCann, and Collins.

How much of those second half numbers are due to his abysmal month of July? I don't think August ans September have been that bad for him.

Edited by supernuke

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, wegner said:

Obvious to a time traveler...come clean Poppy!!!....I knew there was a reason for all of your unbridled enthusiasm...end the suspense and tell us when the White Sox win their next World Series

If I told you my thoughts on that question I would be soundly criticized  by many.  I took a lot of heat on my prediction of a payroll in excess of 160+ but more people will be jumping on that bandwagon soon.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

If I told you my thoughts on that question I would be soundly criticized  by many.  I took a lot of heat on my prediction of a payroll in excess of 160+ but more people will be jumping on that bandwagon soon.

Anyone who criticizes your enthusiasm can stuff it.  If you really think they will win it in 2021 or whenever, I might say I doubt it but I will enjoy the ride.

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Anyone who criticizes your enthusiasm can stuff it.  If you really think they will win it in 2021 or whenever, I might say I doubt it but I will enjoy the ride.

Back when we first entered the rebuild, my dad (an old school guy) was skeptical about having to go through some losing seasons. 

Him: So if all goes well, when will we finally win another World Series?

Me: 2022

I'm sticking to that. 

6 minutes ago, wegner said:

As I've said...I think this is the FO version of "all in" time.  They are not attempting to sneak up on another championship...they are going after it.

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Back when we first entered the rebuild, my dad (an old school guy) was skeptical about having to go through some losing seasons. 

I'm sticking to that. 

Good guess but maybe a tad conservative.🙂

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I'm sticking to that. 

I will take that....strap it down!!!