Eloy named player of the week

smalls2598

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

One good thing to come of this year is that he had so much raw power. I knew the power was there, but I was expecting more of a gap hitter that also hit HR's. 

He literally has light tower power.  There's been some contact issues but the ball explodes off his bat when he makes contact.  I'd expect him to get a BABIP boost as well next year.  He should be rocking a BABIP higher than 297 (maybe around 310 next year) and that will give him a nice boost on his BA.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

35 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Really feel like that stinger on his elbow cost him about 20 points of OPS, oh well, if he can finish over 800 that sets him up nicely with a solid rookie year and should be able to build on that next year and get into the 280/330/540 range.

I’m expecting an OPS of 900 next season

He needs to get the ball in the air more. 

48% GBs is too much - right now, if he qualified, he'd be in the top 20 in baseball in GB rate. Once he starts getting the ball in the air more, he will be nearly unstoppable. 

He's had a great year, but if he could even just drop that 5% to 43%, he could be like Yelich with 50+ bombs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He needs to get the ball in the air more. 

48% GBs is too much - right now, if he qualified, he'd be in the top 20 in baseball in GB rate. Once he starts getting the ball in the air more, he will be nearly unstoppable. 

He's had a great year, but if he could even just drop that 5% to 43%, he could be like Yelich with 50+ bombs.

Possibly, would take a incredible leap in his batted ball profile.  I'm with @JUSTgottaBELIEVE I see an OPS around 900.  Getting to Yelich level is something few ever do, if Eloy does it next year he'd be on a path to be one of the greatest hitters of all time.  Maybe he can put up a 170 wRC+ in his prime but I don't see it next year.  Crawl, walk, run.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He's been hot for a few weeks now, nice to see.

Hope to see a Moncada type of step up next year.  His improvement since the beginning of the year has been dramatic.  I also feel his defense has improved significantly since the start of the year.

50 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I wonder if we see him pulling the ball more. Has he had any homeruns that were to left field this year? Seems like all are to center or right. Pretty impressive. We'll be seeing some absolute bombs of he starts pulling some here and there

I've brought this up countless times.  He has 3 or 4 that have been pulled, rest are center and right.  If he starts pulling and elevating he's going to be a machine.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Hope to see a Moncada type of step up next year.  His improvement since the beginning of the year has been dramatic.  I also feel his defense has improved significantly since the start of the year.

Seeing his DRS get updated is pretty fun lol. He dropped down to -11 for a while and then had a -9 before going back yp to -11. He's at -10 right now so he's improved a bit during this stretch. 

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Seeing his DRS get updated is pretty fun lol. He dropped down to -11 for a while and then had a -9 before going back yp to -11. He's at -10 right now so he's improved a bit during this stretch. 

Yea he's been run neutral (pretty good for his LF ding) on FG for about two months now.  He's been fine.  The hand wringing over his initial struggles was over the top but I get it, he looked awful.  Probably was a bit of nerves and unfamiliarity with new parks.

During that stretch, the 22-year-old went 10-for-23 with one double, three home runs, 11 RBIs, three walks, six runs, three multi-hit efforts and a 1.370 OPS.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/eloy-jimenez-named-player-of-the-week-offense-tough-stretch

Eloy is my current favorite player with his childlike  demeanor. Seems like he's always smiling and acting silly . One of his POTW quotes was

“You think it’s easy?” said Jimenez with a laugh prior to Monday’s series opener at Target Field. “And especially because they are really good pitchers.

“They just don’t have 100 mph. They have really good stuff like sliders at 94 [mph]. That’s crazy.”  He was talking about the Mets pitchers.

He still seems to be in awe of it all.

14 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He literally has light tower power.  There's been some contact issues but the ball explodes off his bat when he makes contact.  I'd expect him to get a BABIP boost as well next year.  He should be rocking a BABIP higher than 297 (maybe around 310 next year) and that will give him a nice boost on his BA.

Notice his relaxed stance. He isn't coiled up with his left foot pointing inward. 

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Notice his relaxed stance. He isn't coiled up with his left foot pointing inward. 

1. It's a home run derby. 

2. He had a history of flying open and pulling off the outside pitch instead of driving it. His foot curled in forces him to stay closed longer allowing him to get to his opposite field power with more ease.

3. The hand position and stance changes he made since he came to the White Sox are a big reason he took off as a prospect - he no longer is susceptible to everything away. 

He will eventually change how dramatic his foot angle is I'd guess, once his hips, hands and body are used to staying closed and inside the baseball. He will always be closed in someway though to prevent his hands from getting way out in front of him.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

17 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He didnt have contact issues in the minor leagues so it was a bit odd that they popped up like they did in the MLB. I think a lot more of this has to do with pitch selection inside and outside the zone that has cratered his contact rates. Once he gets that under control I wouldnt be shocked to see his contact rate trend upward towards where he sat in the MiLB.

Eloy looks comfortable most of the time but just don't let him jump into any walls.

Would love to see him run around RF for a few games which I think he   prefers.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Eloy looks comfortable most of the time but just don't let him jump into any walls.

Would love to see him run around RF for a few games which I think he   prefers.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Doesn't have the arm for RF.