9/17- Sox at Twins, 6:40, NBCSC

flavum

Renteria sucks. The dude's so stupid he'd probably use me to pinch hit for Collins just because the pitcher was a lefty. Hint, numbnuts: THAT IDEA DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK. How does someone at the supposed pinnacle of baseball on this planet insist on such a non-thinking, one-size-fits-all approach???

Just now, fathom said:

Do you think he even has the slightest clue that Engel rates as a better hitter than Garcia or Yolmer?  I can’t wait for him to bat Madrigal 2nd next year and bunt whenever Robert gets on.

I don't even think he'll bat Robert leadoff. Hell, he's batting Leury leadoff right now and he is one of the worst options at the top. But hey.. he's a speedy slap hitter so it's ok.

Just now, SoxAce said:

I don't even think he'll bat Robert leadoff. Hell, he's batting Leury leadoff right now and he is one of the worst options at the top. But hey.. he's a speedy slap hitter so it's ok.

Good point, it will probably be Madrigal, Timmy and Abreu

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Renteria sucks. The dude's so stupid he'd probably use me to pinch hit for Collins just because the pitcher was a lefty. Hint, numbnuts: THAT IDEA DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK. How does someone at the supposed pinnacle of baseball on this planet insist on such a non-thinking, one-size-fits-all approach???

Because he’s an old school archaic manager trying to manage in the new era of baseball.

He calls for bunts in the second inning of games and lives and dies by the law of lefty/righty, both with his lineups and reliever and pinch hitting choices.

If the Sox didn’t hire him, he wouldn’t have a job right now.

6 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I hate Ricky, obviously, but I don't think Robert should bat lead off. Why are you gonna waste his power for 20+ solo home runs? Let him hit those shots with men on. I'd say...Anderson>Madrigal>Moncada>Robert>Eloy>Abreu.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

I hate Ricky, obviously, but I don't think Robert should bat lead off. Why are you gonna waste his power for 20+ solo home runs? Let him hit those shots with men on. I'd say...Anderson>Madrigal>Moncada>Robert>Eloy>Abreu.

Regardless of where he hits (and btw, Robert profiles similarly to Acuna who has 39 and 97 RBIs in the leadoff spot), I don't have faith in Ricky in putting certain guys in a position to succeed or guys who could generate runs better. And you know damn well Abreu is never leaving the 3 hole. 

Seriously though, if next year is my aforementioned top 6, followed by McCann>Collins>Garcia (with Vaughn and one of Steele/Basabe/Rutherford/Gonzalez waiting in the wings) and a rotation of Gio/Lopez/Cease/Kopech, almost every minute will at least be interesting. There's so much of this year's games where I just find myself doing anything else. I cannot bring myself to care about Ryan Cordell and Beef Castillo at-bats, or Ross Detwiler starts.

7 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I like this:

Madrigal

Robert

Moncada

Eloy

Abreu

Anderson

etc.

Of course, I’m assuming we will have a manager who won’t want a #2 hitter who “does all the little things” like bunting runners to 2nd or 3B or hits the other way.  I have no doubt that Ricky will bat Madrigal second since he is such an old school geezer manager.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Regardless of where he hits (and btw, Robert profiles similarly to Acuna who has 39 and 97 RBIs in the leadoff spot), I don't have faith in Ricky in putting certain guys in a position to succeed or guys who could generate runs better. And you know damn well Abreu is never leaving the 3 hole. 

Do you at all wonder how many RBIs Acuna would have batting a few spots lower? I think it'd be nuts.

And let me dream, man! I'm gonna have an aneurysm if Moncada and Eloy and Robert are turning into legit superstars and 33 year old Abreu with his reliable .800ish OPS is still hitting third. Useful, sure, but bump him down in the order!