TA and Yoan have combined for 8.5 fWAR: is this the best young double play combo in Sox history?

chitownsportsfan

20 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Probably the closest timeframe duo but I  I looked it up and Valentin was on the way out just as Ray was ascending.  Think Jose was 30 and already in decline when Ray was 24 and becoming a great player.

So just to clear this up, does anybody really think that if Moncada was moved to 2B tmr he wouldn't immediately make the best young "double play combo" in the last 30 years on the SS at 24, 26 , coming off these monster years?  Overall ability, not just defense, because both these guys rake and can run the bases, steals or otherwise.

Jose Valentin's best seasons of his career were his age 30 - 33 seasons though, so I wouldn't say he was on his way down.  The Sox got him just in time for the peak years of his career.  

He's still one of my favorite all time WSox.  

Edited by ChiSox1917
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

Agreed.

I have nothing against Madrigal. I'm just a bit surprised Sox fans who follow advanced stats want him. He's not gonna hit more than 5 homers. His stolen bases don't matter in modern baseball. Why do we like this guy in the era of HR or K?

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I have nothing against Madrigal. I'm just a bit surprised Sox fans who follow advanced stats want him. He's not gonna hit more than 5 homers. His stolen bases don't matter in modern baseball. Why do we like this guy in the era of HR or K?

He gets on base and plays excellent defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Runs well.

Never will make the wrong "fundamentally-incorrect" plays on defense.  Will improve the rest of the defense, especially Anderson's performance next year after Madrigal is paired with him.

Like a manager on the field.

Work ethic/role model.

He knows how to adjust his offensive approach situationally, especially advancing baserunners/making contact.

Always has a chip on his shoulder from being underestimated, never takes anything for granted or given.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox are going to need table setters at the top of that batting order. I'm looking for Madrigal to be one of those guys.

I want Robert to be protection for Eloy.

Then they'll both have great seasons.

Batting Luis first or second is a vulgar use of his abilities. He is going to be an RBI producing machine.

But of course, that'll be so Renteria-like.

Now if the Sox go out and get JDM as their DH that'll be chilling. 

Edited by GradMc
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Jose Valentin's best seasons of his career were his age 30 - 33 seasons though, so I wouldn't say he was on his way down.  The Sox got him just in time for the peak years of his career.  

He's still one of my favorite all time WSox.  

It's amazing what a little test can do for a man. 

12 hours ago, GradMc said:

The White Sox are going to need table setters at the top of that batting order. I'm looking for Madrigal to be one of those guys.

I want Robert to be protection for Eloy.

Then they'll both have great seasons.

Batting Luis first or second is a vulgar use of his abilities. He is going to be an RBI producing machine.

But of course, that'll be so Renteria-like.

Now if the Sox go out and get JDM as their DH that'll be chilling. 

I sure hope Ricky gets some outside advise on lineup construction.