Yolmer contemplates not being on the Sox

BackDoorBreach

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm kinda with @Look at Ray Ray Run I think Fangraphs is evaluating defensive floors wrong and over valuing their contribution.  There's no way Yolmer's 650 OPS carries him into average starter territory.  

That said I have no real evidence of that but it doesn't seem that clubs value all glove guys like Yolmer as average regulars.  Super subs sure.  But 2 WAR is basically an average regular and he's not that imo.

Eh, he's only been +6.7 runs (accounting for defensive spectrum adjustments) and 1 fWAR with his shitty wRC+ of 75 this year.  So maybe my concerns are overblown.  

Yolmer's problem is that he was a 95 wRC+ hitter on the rise with a great glove 2 years ago.  His overall play has declined greatly from his age 24 season, which is puzzling in many ways.  I do think PEDs might have played a role and he stopped using them once he was an established regular.

He can't hit the ball out of the infield, and when he does everything is opposite field.  I don't think PEDs has anything to do with that.

Is yolmer going to be out of baseball in 2020? He made 4.6 mill this season. Frankly, no other team is going to be clamoring to sign him. If the Sox offer 4.6 million he probably won't take it so he'll be a free agent and no one will sign him. Kind of a weird story. If I were Yolmer I'd take 3 million for one year to stay in Chicago. He could shuffle between AAA and MLB according to injury need. Pardon me if he's on arbitration. I did not see mention of that anywhere.

There’s just no reason to spend money on Yolmer when Mendick could fill in as a mediocre utility infielder for the minimum.  Yolmer’s money would be much better spent on a one year deal for an established reliever.  The Sox will also have Yolbert Sanchez down the line as a backup infielder.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

17 hours ago, ron883 said:

Is it your personal challenge to answer to all of my posts? My apologies for triggering you so hard. Half of your posts are responses to me

If you don't want a response to me about an idiotic comment about Jose Abreu, then don't post the idiotic comment about Jose Abreu.  It's that simple!  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 7:53 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s willing to take like $2.5M then I’d probably bring him back.  Otherwise, I need more Mendick in my life.

21 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There’s just no reason to spend money on Yolmer when Mendick could fill in as a mediocre utility infielder for the minimum.  Yolmer’s money would be much better spent on a one year deal for an established reliever.  The Sox will also have Yolbert Sanchez down the line as a backup infielder.

It's funny to me the Mendick love on here.  Guy has done nothing, is a worse hitter in the minors than Yolmer was, and is not even close to as good defensively.  Yet people are clamoring for him to replace Yolmer.  

Makes no sense.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox1917 said:

It's funny to me the Mendick love on here.  Guy has done nothing, is a worse hitter in the minors than Yolmer was, and is not even close to as good defensively.  Yet people are clamoring for him to replace Yolmer.  

Makes no sense.  

The grass is always greener elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Makes no sense.  

Makes perfect sense when one guy is a terrible major league hitter making $4M and the other is cheap as fuck and still an unknown.  Like I said, if Yolmer wants to be paid like a reasonable reserve IF, I’m happy to have him back.  Otherwise, let’s put that money to better use and go with the cheaper player who has a non-zero chance of being ok with the bat.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Makes perfect sense when one guy is a terrible major league hitter making $4M and the other is cheap as fuck and still an unknown.  Like I said, if Yolmer wants to be paid like a reasonable reserve IF, I’m happy to have him back.  Otherwise, let’s put that money to better use and go with the cheaper player who has a non-zero chance of being ok with the bat.

$4M is cheap as fuk for a guy that gives you Gold Glove caliber defense and versatility in a utility role

20 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Makes no sense.  

What has Yolmer done in the majors?  If you want an all glove, no bat backup infielder, they come cheaper than $5 to $6 million.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

More than Mendick has ever done in the minors, especially defensively. 

I agree with others, if he'll take 3 million a year, I'd keep him. 

If it’s $3 million, sure I agree.  But if it’s $5 to $6 million, goodbye.  He made $4.625 million this season.  I’d rather sign a vet reliever to a one year deal for that money.

Also funny how the Yolmer love comes out when he goes 4 for 6 tonight at the plate which is completely rare for him.  Rare isn’t even the word for it.  He basically hit the lottery tonight at the plate.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

13 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

$4M is cheap as fuk for a guy that gives you Gold Glove caliber defense and versatility in a utility role

Sure, if he wasn’t an absolutely terrible hitter.  The problem is he’s the 5th worst qualified hitter in all of baseball.  That negates much of his defensive value and makes him a fairly ordinary player.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure, if he wasn’t an absolutely terrible hitter.  The problem is he’s the 5th worst qualified hitter in all of baseball.  That negates much of his defensive value and makes him a fairly ordinary player.

Thank you.   😘

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

More than Mendick has ever done in the minors, especially defensively. 

I agree with others, if he'll take 3 million a year, I'd keep him. 

This seems the consensus opinion.  As I mentioned in the game thread...the Detroit announcers were drooling all over Sanchez defense and baseball smarts.

10 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Makes no sense.  

People want to see Mendick play. They have seen Yolmer. I assume Hahn wants to keep Yolmer. 

I love Yolmer, I really do, and I think he would serve as a great backup infielder, as I hope Leury is our super utility guy next year, but you look at Yolmer's bat compared to his defense, this year he is a slightly better hitter than Engel. He is basically the Adam Engel of the infield. And I have the same feelings about Engel...I hope he is the backup outfielder/late inning defensive replacement/go to pinch runner next year. But Yolmer, in order to serve a role on this team, needs to humble himself and accept the bench role and the paycut that comes with it.

Basically it comes to this...do you like the Chicago White Sox more, or playing every day more? If its the latter, Im not sure he will find a job outside of the teams that are rebuilding...

On 9/19/2019 at 8:20 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm kinda with @Look at Ray Ray Run I think Fangraphs is evaluating defensive floors wrong and over valuing their contribution.  There's no way Yolmer's 650 OPS carries him into average starter territory.  

That said I have no real evidence of that but it doesn't seem that clubs value all glove guys like Yolmer as average regulars.  Super subs sure.  But 2 WAR is basically an average regular and he's not that imo.

Eh, he's only been +6.7 runs (accounting for defensive spectrum adjustments) and 1 fWAR with his shitty wRC+ of 75 this year.  So maybe my concerns are overblown.  

Yolmer's problem is that he was a 95 wRC+ hitter on the rise with a great glove 2 years ago.  His overall play has declined greatly from his age 24 season, which is puzzling in many ways.  I do think PEDs might have played a role and he stopped using them once he was an established regular.

Well, it certainly earned guys like Heyward and Machado a ton of money.