Yolmer contemplates not being on the Sox

BackDoorBreach

Dude has been the ultra rare latin success story (limited as it is) for the Sox and has already banked about 8 million in salary and has a lifetime pension.  Good vibes all around there.  But he's going to be overpaid next year and there's no room for him in the starting lineup once Madrigal comes up in June.  

So he'll have to try and catch on somewhere else if the Sox are serious at all about winning.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Dude has been the ultra rare latin success story (limited as it is) for the Sox and has already banked about 8 million in salary and has a lifetime pension.  Good vibes all around there.  But he's going to be overpaid next year and there's no room for him in the starting lineup once Madrigal comes up in June.  

So he'll have to try and catch on somewhere else if the Sox are serious at all about winning.

No, I don't want the Sox paying 6 million a year for a glove first utility IF.  That could be a bullpen piece.  I have a hard time believing Mendick or some other FA utility player wouldn't provide more value for the Sox. 

I also like Yolmer and think he's a good guy.  He just doesn't make sense going forward.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

No, I don't want the Sox paying 6 million a year for a glove first utility IF.  That could be a bullpen piece.  I have a hard time believing Mendick or some other FA utility player wouldn't provide more value for the Sox. 

I also like Yolmer and think he's a good guy.  He just doesn't make sense going forward.

Yea exactly Mendick would provide 90% of sanchez at about 10% the cost.  No brainer to move on.

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Yolmer should absolutely not be brought back. Leury is in his final year of control and could start the year at 2nd while we are waiting for Madrigal and be a super-util elsewhere. I'm assuming Engel witll be the fourth OF.

Sox should be looking for an upgrade there as well imo.  Engel is replacement level.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sox should be looking for an upgrade there as well imo.  Engel is replacement level.

I don't know.

Since coming back, in 54 second half games, he's hitting .243/.310/.396/.706, with 5 homers, 5 doubles and a triple. HIs BABIP is two points higher than his career average. He could end up being a pretty valuable defensive replacement if his bat has seriously improved this much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don't know.

Since coming back, in 54 second half games, he's hitting .243/.310/.396/.706, with 5 homers, 5 doubles and a triple. HIs BABIP is two points higher than his career average. He could end up being a pretty valuable defensive replacement if his bat has seriously improved this much.

It's the 25th man (26 next year?) so it's not a huge deal but I think the Sox can do better.  I'm with @BackDoorBreach on this one.  He's had a decent run but even his "good stretch" is a 706 OPS with a 310 OBP, that's not great, even from a 4th OF.

per baseball reference his WAR has declined from 3.5 to 2.6 to 1.8 .  His salary is 4.6 million and if he goes through arbitration, he would get a raise which is why he is a likely non tender.  He sees the writing on the wall with Madrigal as the eventual starter and cheaper utility guys.  If he really wants to stay, I wonder if a three year deal for 9-10 million would give him enough security to stay?  Would that be worth doing?

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don't know.

Late inning base runner as well.

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

per baseball reference his WAR has declined from 3.5 to 2.6 to 1.8 .  His salary is 4.6 million and if he goes through arbitration, he would get a raise which is why he is a likely non tender.  He sees the writing on the wall with Madrigal as the eventual starter and cheaper utility guys.  If he really wants to stay, I wonder if a three year deal for 9-10 million would give him enough security to stay?  Would that be worth doing?

In a heart beat.  A 2 WAR super utility guy is easily worth $3million a year.

I'm probably one of the few on here who wants Yolmer back, and does not view $6 million as a massive overpay (I'd say he's worth about 4.5 mil/yr).  This board SIGNIFICANTLY undervalues his defense.  The versatility he brings, along with Leury, would allow the WSox to have a shorter bench, and therefore, a larger bullpen.  Between Leury, Yolmer, and a backup catcher, they have every position on the diamond covered.  

I also don't discount the effect a guy like that has on a clubhouse.  

1 hour ago, Thad Bosley said:

Is it your personal challenge at this point to make your next comment about Jose Abreu actually dumber than the one that preceded it?

Is it your personal challenge to answer to all of my posts? My apologies for triggering you so hard. Half of your posts are responses to me

38 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I'm probably one of the few on here who wants Yolmer back, and does not view $6 million as a massive overpay (I'd say he's worth about 4.5 mil/yr).  This board SIGNIFICANTLY undervalues his defense.  

I'm with you (if the price is right). Great defender, is decent enough with the bat to be a utility player and his BB% had increased the last 3 years. Sox have too many low baseball I.Q. players on this team. Yolmer is one of our smarter players overall. The only thing I wish is if he were faster. His baserunning is fantastic enough though to offset him not stealing bases. 

41 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I'm probably one of the few on here who wants Yolmer back, and does not view $6 million as a massive overpay (I'd say he's worth about 4.5 mil/yr).  This board SIGNIFICANTLY undervalues his defense.  The versatility he brings, along with Leury, would allow the WSox to have a shorter bench, and therefore, a larger bullpen.  Between Leury, Yolmer, and a backup catcher, they have every position on the diamond covered.  

Don't disagree.  There was also an article on how he is a role model to many of the non-English speaking guys starting out who are participating in our educational programs.

2 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I'm kinda with @Look at Ray Ray Run I think Fangraphs is evaluating defensive floors wrong and over valuing their contribution.  There's no way Yolmer's 650 OPS carries him into average starter territory.  

That said I have no real evidence of that but it doesn't seem that clubs value all glove guys like Yolmer as average regulars.  Super subs sure.  But 2 WAR is basically an average regular and he's not that imo.

Eh, he's only been +6.7 runs (accounting for defensive spectrum adjustments) and 1 fWAR with his shitty wRC+ of 75 this year.  So maybe my concerns are overblown.  

Yolmer's problem is that he was a 95 wRC+ hitter on the rise with a great glove 2 years ago.  His overall play has declined greatly from his age 24 season, which is puzzling in many ways.  I do think PEDs might have played a role and he stopped using them once he was an established regular.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 1