Who would still want Maddon?

caulfield12

29 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Somebody better tip off the Astros, Dodgers, As, etc. that they need to replace their managers. 

Only Italians on the Twins, right?  Seems they have more than their share of Hispanic talent.

Since Baldelli was hired in November to replace Hall of Fame player and Twin Cities native Paul Molitor, it’s been a busy offseason, admittedly the busiest of his baseball life. He’s been focused on not only building a coaching staff that possesses the data-driven vision he shares with the front office that hired him, but also building a rapport with a new roster of players so that once spring training hits its next gear, everyone is one the same page.

“With the way he presents himself and the way he communicates with the players, it always seems like he was going to be a (manager) in waiting,” said former Rays first baseman C.J. Cron, who played with the Rays last season. “He’s young for a (manager). He’s what, 37? that’s super young, but he deserved it. I think he’s super smart both baseball-wise and analytic-wise and I think he does a good job combining the two and he will be able to communicate that with players on that front. I think this was meant for him for sure.”

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2019/02/14/for-rookie-manager-rocco-baldelli-communication-is-the-key-to-success/

Shocking, someone coming out of the Rays’ network succeeding.  Even Dave Martinez  righted the ship in Washington this year after most thought he was on his way out.

Edited by caulfield12

33 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Only Italians on the Twins, right?  Seems they have more than their share of Hispanic talent.

And only English, Scottish or Germans on the Yankees I guess. 

And let's not forget the Braves and the Cardinals.   None of the division leaders in mlb seem to have a problem with their Hispanic players producing for their non-Hispanic managers. 

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Jirschele would get my vote but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Would be very interesting guy.

I think hes fallen under the radar a bit. Remember the Sox let the New York Times do a huge piece on the organization centered around him. I think the org is probably higher on him than we give them credit for.

2 hours ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Then get an interpreter. 

Honestly, that's not the same.  

I'm not saying Spanish speaking is a requirement, but the fact of the matter is a lot of great baseball minds also happen to speak Spanish.  As set up, we would benefit greatly from a bilingual manager.

6 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

I'm not saying Spanish speaking is a requirement, but the fact of the matter is a lot of great baseball minds also happen to speak Spanish.  As set up, we would benefit greatly from a bilingual manager.

We already have one.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

That is exactly what we're saying. Moncada y Robert no hablan Ingles muy bien. 

Maddon speaks fluent Spanish. 

And I don’t know why he wouldn’t fit culturally. He was nails with a young Cubs and young Rays teams.

it won’t happen for obvious reasons, and I also doubt he would do it to Ricky again. But he would be a great fit.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

The whole crew should be bilingual not just the players. 

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Maddon speaks fluent Spanish. 

And I don’t know why he wouldn’t fit culturally. He was nails with a young Cubs and young Rays teams.

it won’t happen for obvious reasons, and I also doubt he would do it to Ricky again. But he would be a great fit.

I thought Maddon did a great job in Tampa.  Limited financial resources and limited fan support playing in one of if not the best divisions in MLB.  With the Cubs he got both financial resources and fan support. He has a .541 career win %. That is better than Terry Francona.   Maddon has had a lot of success but like most managers he has some baggage. But winning has not been a problem so far. 

I would love to see us get a young manager like Minny did. But that would most likely be a gamble since we might get someone w their first job.  I do think Girardi is an interesting choice but hahn would have to find out what went wrong in NY.