Who would still want Maddon?

caulfield12

11 hours ago, Wanne said:

I don't care.  No. Not taking Cubs sloppy seconds again.  No fucking way! Let him go out to San Diego so he can wear surfer shorts be a rad dude.

The last thing I wanted was to trade Q to the Cubs, but it made the Sox better long term. If we believe Maddon can be a significant upgrade over Ricky, and he is, then I don't care if he comes from the Cubs. The Cubs choked during our entire rebuild and starting next season we can be on equal footing as them or better, so I no longer feel as bitter towards them. 

• 2 weeks later...

A knock on Maddon is that his clubhouse is TOO relaxed.  I'm not saying he needs to be a Billy Martin/Bobby Valentine type who screams at everybody all the time, but sometimes some players need a kick in the pants.  

Kaplan was saying the other day that Doug Glanville interviewed for the Rays job after Maddon left, and the interviewer told him "things are WAAAAAY too loose around here."

management is never going to be this orgs issue, and I'm saying this as an avid renteria hater

I would definitely replace Rick with Joe but I don't see it doing much, maybe let Maddon pick his own coaches

lmao jk, we dont allow that kind of craziness around here

Edited by joesaiditstrue

23 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

A knock on Maddon is that his clubhouse is TOO relaxed.  I'm not saying he needs to be a Billy Martin/Bobby Valentine type who screams at everybody all the time, but sometimes some players need a kick in the pants.  

Kaplan was saying the other day that Doug Glanville interviewed for the Rays job after Maddon left, and the interviewer told him "things are WAAAAAY too loose around here."

You're a bunch of lollygaggers. 

e27cc7e27e1f69fcbe1d38c004a8ae5d.jpg

Maddon's best days are behind him but if some organization is foolish enough to offer him a guaranteed  3 year guaranteed worth 25 Million, he'll take it.

This guy will will be what...66 years old next season  so maybe time for old Joe to retire and enjoy all the Ameritrade  day trader money Ricketts gave him.

Egotistical managers like Maddon are not on my wish list.  FO should tell Ricky the parameters for situational bunting and have the computer spit out a lineup for the day.  The FO doesn't trust Ricky to pick his own coaches but allow him full control of what will be 125 million payroll.  Seems odd.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

David Ross rumored to have the Cubs job if he wants it.  Wonder what happened to the Joe Girardi is a sure thing?

Girardi is in the mix. Ross has no managing experience but his DWTS time certainly gives him a "leg up"  on the competition. 

Edited by SCCWS
  • Haha 2

Joe is going to live in Arte Moreno's penthouse and make a lotta dough. My personal belief is that a lot of people and media have laid off the whole Cub thing since whatever happened in 2016. Now they are a Marquee team ?   Good luck and same to NBCSCN.

7 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Girardi is in the mix. Ross has no managing experience but his DWTS time certainly gives him a "leg up"  on the competition. 

Ross smells an awful lot like an RV hire, except worse because he's probably buddies with half those guys

Edited by mqr

2 hours ago, Black_Jack29 said:

If the Sox are at least semi-competitive next year, Ricky's job will probably be secure. He probably won't be on the hot seat unless they win fewer than 80 games. And even then, I don't see JR canning him unless they don't improve at all next year.

With  competent right fielder and DH this lineup better be 90+ or Ricky is history.

49 minutes ago, poppysox said:

With  competent right fielder and DH this lineup better be 90+ or Ricky is history.

A competent right fielder and DH will not get to 90 wins. Now add 2 quality SP to them and that might. 

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Not with this pitching staff

Kopech Cease and Lopez are huge question marks, and we have no idea how the bullpen will perform compared to this year 

I'd say this team wins around 80 games

Edited by joesaiditstrue

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I'd say this team wins around 80 games

As they’re currently constructed, that sounds about right. If they get a solid #2 and get decent production out of the bottom three, maybe 85-87 wins. I don’t see them jumping to 90+ wins without some key FA signings and a good amount of luck.

On 10/3/2019 at 5:59 AM, poppysox said:

FO should tell Ricky the parameters for situational bunting and have the computer spit out a lineup for the day. 

(Snicker) So, you actually want the geniuses who gave away Marcus Semien and Tatis to give Bunting Ricky "parameters?"

Sounds like you want the blind leading the blind.

For my part, if your problem with Maddon is his "ego," I say get over it. This org hasn't had a competent field manager since the 2008 iteration of Ozzie Guillen. I'd take Maddon any day over the three stooges of RH/KW/RR, and twice on game day.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

38 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

(Snicker) So, you actually want the geniuses who gave away Marcus Semien and Tatis to give Bunting Ricky "parameters?"

Sounds like you want the blind leading the blind.

For my part, if your problem with Maddon is his "ego," I say get over it. This org hasn't had a competent field manager since the 2008 iteration of Ozzie Guillen. I'd take Maddon any day over the three stooges of RH/KW/RR, and twice on game day.

I think most of us posters feel RR will not be the leader when we are ready to go after a playoff spot. I would rather see us go the route of Minny and Boston and get a younger coach.  Maybe Vizquel is already warming up in the bullpen. I threw out Joey Cora as another possibliity.  I would like to see somebody w some expereince ( not a Ross type) but Boone is doing pretty good albeit he has a lot of talent to work with .