Cooper discouraged by social media negativity

caulfield12

https://www.mlb.com/news/don-cooper-discouraged-by-social-media-negativity

Don Cooper loves his job.

But there is one particular aspect of the overall position the outspoken White Sox pitching coach quite frankly doesn’t really like, as he relayed to MLB.com prior to Friday’s series opener in Detroit.

“Listen, I’ll be honest, the worst part of my job -- and I think I have the best job in the world -- is to deal with negative people and taking people to the negative side,” Cooper said. “Kicking us when we are down. It’s easy to do in a rebuild. But I’ll remember everybody who is doing it.

“The worst thing in the world that’s come along as far as I’m concerned is Twitter and a lot of social media [stuff] that gives voice to people who shouldn’t really have a voice, that don’t know what the hell the hitting coach’s job, the manager’s job, the pitching coach’s job, they have no clue what this job is.

“I don’t like that part of it. People are drinking beers, they get their beer muscles and they are not afraid to talk or act bigger. I don’t ever hear anything to my face at the field ever.”

Again there is more to article than the quote. He's not wrong. The negative people are really going to freak next year when we struggle. Even if we do a lot of right things this offseason, we may not get the playoffs. If anybody noticed there are some other teams out there that are good and aren't going to give us anything. Rebuilds don't come with guarantees. Hell when the scrubs won their World Series, I thought they would get multiple more certainly one and yet they haven't. 

Cooper has been among the least criticized coaches from horrible teams in history. And beer muscles? Isn't he the guy who goes on radio after a few and blasts those that don't accept losing? Obviously we can't know all that is involved day to day, minute to minute with the team. Maybe Cooo can point us to whose job it is to win, and we can finally rip on the correct person.

• Like 3

This is Coop's thing (and has been forever) and it gets tiresome.  He even acts like Garfein is too negative when he goes on White Sox Talk Podcast and Garfein kisses his ass for 45 minutes.

Here's where he has a point- Sox Twitter has taken a super negative and petty turn this year and its gotten just as tiresome.  The Machado thing broke the fanbase. 

The team is in the middle of a rebuild.  I keep reading people say "The team has had losing seasons X years in a row" or "Rick Hahn's record is X" as if that offers some insight.  The team essentially tried to lose the past few years.  In two weeks, that will finally end.  The Sox record in 2017-2019 is largely irrelevant and Rick Hahn's winning percentage doesn't tell much of a story by itself. 

The perfect example of useless negativity- Josh Nelson keeps tweeting every time Kyle Lewis does something positive (with the implication that the Sox should have drafted him).   I guess I understand why bloggers/podcasters do it.  It riles people up and he gets clicks and downloads.  If Zack Collins and the Sox fail, he gets to run around and say "I told you so."  If they end up being great, no one will care to call him out.  If I was trying to make money off of covering the team and I had no access, not many original thoughts, and not much of a personality, I'd probably take the same approach.  

Edited by Nardiwashere
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

This is Coop's thing (and has been forever) and it gets tiresome.  He even acts like Garfein is too negative when he goes on White Sox Talk Podcast and Garfein kisses his ass for 45 minutes.

Here's where he has a point- Sox Twitter has taken a super negative and petty turn this year and its gotten just as tiresome.  The Machado thing broke the fanbase. 

The team is in the middle of a rebuild.  I keep reading people say "The team has had losing seasons X years in a row" or "Rick Hahn's record is X" as if that offers some insight.  The team essentially tried to lose the past few years.  In two weeks, that will finally end.  The Sox record in 2017-2019 is largely irrelevant and Rick Hahn's winning percentage doesn't tell much of a story by itself. 

The perfect example of useless negativity- Josh Nelson keeps tweeting every time Kyle Lewis does something positive (with the implication that the Sox should have drafted him).   I guess I understand why bloggers/podcasters do it.  It riles people up and he gets clicks and downloads.  If Zack Collins and the Sox fail, he gets to run around and say "I told you so."  If they end up being great, no one will care to call him out.  If I was trying to make money off of covering the team and I had no access, not many original thoughts, and not much of a personality, I'd probably take the same approach.  

Probably has something to do with our most glaring need happening to be power and RF...and watching the way Ozuna has been playing recently, giving him $75 million wouldn’t turn out well, either.

1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

Wait a second, is Josh Nelson really tweeting about 20 Kyle Lewis MLB AB where he ran into a few and crowing about it?

Dude, thanks I needed that laugh after the UM game.  Kyle Lewis and the Mariners are SERIOUSLY perhaps the ONLY TEAM you can point to in the last 15 years that's been worse than Chicago given the resources.  Kyle Lewis, who has been a complete bust, absolutely horrendous as a minor leaguer, who had a hot 20 AB, hooo boy.  Thanks.

Thanks for the laugh man, really needed it.  Never change Josh and SoxMachine folks.  Never change.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Those same individuals on social media are definitely more attuned to analytics...

Leading to the unavoidable conflicts over “who fixed Lucas Giolito” and Matt Lisle’s place in the game.  Cooper is going to make his stand with the Luddites and 2005 Sox baseball, come hell or high water.

(Cooper would do a nice job filling in for Kevin Costner on Yellowstone, attitude-wise.  A relic of a bygone era still holding on for as long as he can in the face of a rapidly-evolving baseball universe.)

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Those same individuals on social media are definitely more attuned to analytics...

Leading to the unavoidable conflicts over “who fixed Lucas Giolito” and Matt Lisle’s place in the game.  Cooper is going to make his stand with the Luddites and 2005 Sox baseball, come hell or high water.

(Cooper would do a nice job filling in for Kevin Costner on Yellowstone, attitude-wise.  A relic of a bygone era still holding on for as long as he can in the face of a rapidly-evolving baseball universe.)

A very Caufield post. We have some insane assumptions and an extremely obscure reference hardly anyone will care about or understand. Credit due, at least it's a relatively short post. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Hey everyone, I didn't realize Adrian Beltre had such a good career! Mock me! 

Hey Moan4Yoan, everyone hates you. 

You are mocking someone else for the exact same thing.  That’s why this is funny.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1