Cooper discouraged by social media negativity

caulfield12

1 hour ago, bmags said:

- because everyone in positions of authority during this playoff drought has been promoted. The only person that they saw fit to remove for their part in the ineptitude was Robin Ventura, who wasn’t even technically fired

- Similar issues in free agent decisions, role of international pipeline, player development and amateur drafting have occurred during the last three years as occurred in the prior 4, so while it’s expected to not win many games during rebuild, it is still possible to comment on the process during that time. And because there was no clearing house after the failures of the Sale era, they will not get benefit of the doubt when previous themes keep appearing. 

They were able with high draft picks and trading elite, cheap talent to infuse high end young talent into the org. But as before, it is unseen if there is enough depth internally to support it, and no track record of free agency being a pipeline to support it.

Some of those criticisms are valid and are separate from people acting as if not making the playoffs in 2019 is some additional blemish against Hahn and the organization.

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless you think LaRussa, Leyland or Dombrowski sticking around instead would have led to different results.  Three Hall of Famers.

Back To The Future 4- Marty McFly goes back in time to save Dave Dombrowski’s job in 1987.  

You guys are something else.  I can only imagine knowing you in real life -holding 40 year old grudges and bringing up mistakes people made decades ago.  

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

Back To The Future 4- Marty McFly goes back in time to save Dave Dombrowski’s job in 1987.  

You guys are something else.  I can only imagine knowing you in real life -holding 40 year old grudges and bringing up mistakes people made decades ago.  

The White Flag trade, 1994-95 strike, new stadium design/location, Harry Caray, Sportsvision...those things are never going away for Sox fans over age 40, at least as long as JR is in charge.  

Heck, some are still upset with 2003-04 and 06 (only making the playoffs once) or Carlos Quentin self-sabotaging 2008.

If nothing else, with such a historic franchise, we have quite the legacy of disappointments.

1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

No.  Hawk being GM for one year in the 80’s is irrelevant.

Wrong.  The guy responsible for naming Hawk GM back in the 80s, and who exercised terrible judgment in doing so, is still the guy responsible for making those same types of critical judgment calls today - Jerry Reinsdorf.  

Citing the 40 year record of the man while he’s still the guy in charge couldn’t be more relevant when forming opinions about what’s possibly coming our way in these next few years.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Wrong.  The guy responsible for naming Hawk GM back in the 80s, and who exercised terrible judgment in doing so, is still the guy responsible for making those same types of critical judgment calls today - Jerry Reinsdorf.  

Citing the 40 year record of the man while he’s still the guy in charge couldn’t be more relevant when forming opinions about what’s possibly coming our way in these next few years.   

2005- Ancient history

1985- Invaluable information relevant to the 2020 season

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

2005- Ancient history

1985- Invaluable information relevant to the 2020 season

You do you is all I can recommend at this point.

For many of the rest of us, however, Reinsdorf’s body of work, his record as owner, all the way back from when he started in the 80s, clear through last offseason’s embarrassing debacle, informs our view of him here in the present.  

Why wouldn’t it?  Has anything changed with the guy over time?

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 10:27 AM, caulfield12 said:

“The worst thing in the world that’s come along as far as I’m concerned is Twitter and a lot of social media [stuff]

I have a hard time arguing with this. It's caused so much divisiveness in all aspects of life. But Donnie...not much you can do about it...so deal with it and do your job.

I, for one, am tired of the Sox blaming the fans for their organizational failures instead of holding their high-level baseball executives accountable. 

This is a big middle finger and FU to the fanbase. 

They do it because they know how sports fandom is and they can get away with it. I can't think of another sports organization that talks shit about its fanbase to the media on a regular basis like the Sox do. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I, for one, am tired of the Sox blaming the fans for their organizational failures instead of holding their high-level baseball executives accountable. 

This is a big middle finger and FU to the fanbase. 

They do it because they know how sports fandom is and they can get away with it. I can't think of another sports organization that talks shit about its fanbase to the media on a regular basis like the Sox do. 

Wah...they're not blaming the fans for their failures. Cooper is merely pointing out fans being asshats on social media (shocker I know).

2 minutes ago, Wanne said:

Wah...they're not blaming the fans for their failures. Cooper is merely pointing out fans being asshats on social media (shocker I know).

They need to grow a pair and deal with it. They sound like whiny b****es when they complain about it. Nobody else complains about their fanbase being critical on social media. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Nardiwashere said:

I just don’t see the point in complaining about a playoff drought increasing during the 3rd year of a rebuild you support.  

When they began the rebuild, I accepted the fact that they wouldn’t be in the playoffs in 2017-18 and probably 2019.  It seems unfair to me to say “I support the decision to enter a rebuild, but I reserve the right to b**** about how long it’s taking”

If you had a car that wasn’t running correctly for 8 months and you finally took it to a mechanic who told you repairs would take 4 weeks, would you get progressively angrier at the mechanic each of the four weeks?  And justify it by bringing up instances other mechanics disappointed you in 1985 and 1998?

If a mechanic has caused my car engine to seize I wouldn’t take the car back to the same mechanic.  I’d find one of his competitors.

24 minutes ago, Juschill said:

If a mechanic has caused my car engine to seize I wouldn’t take the car back to the same mechanic.  I’d find one of his competitors.

That’s our problem - we have the same “mechanic” today in Reinsdorf that we had back in 1985 and 1998.   And the results show he’s still operating under the same methods he did back then and throughout his near 40 years at the helm.  

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

They need to grow a pair and deal with it. They sound like whiny b****es when they complain about it. Nobody else complains about their fanbase being critical on social media. 

So you're in tune with all the other MLB franchises...and their press and what's said.  mkay....

9 minutes ago, Wanne said:

So you're in tune with all the other MLB franchises...and their press and what's said.  mkay....

This old moron said that Sox fans have beer muscles and hinted that they won’t boo him in person at a game because they are afraid of him.  I’m not sure how his comments can be defended.  They were stupid.  Like Jack Parkman, I would also be surprised if some other team’s pitching coach made comments this stupid about his team’s fans.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This old moron said that Sox fans have beer muscles and hinted that they won’t boo him in person at a game because they are afraid of him.  I’m not sure how his comments can be defended.  They were stupid.  Like Jack Parkman, I would also be surprised if some other team’s pitching coach made comments this stupid about his team’s fans.

I'm not defending his comments...I merely agreed with his comment that twitter and social media has fucked up our society. You guys want to get your boxers in a wad over Cooper's comments and take it personal....knock yourself out. No skin off my nuts...

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Wanne said:

I'm not defending his comments...I merely agreed with his comment that twitter and social media has fucked up our society. You guys want to get your boxers in a wad over Cooper's comments and take it personal....knock yourself out. No skin off my nuts...

Spot on. 

23 minutes ago, Wanne said:

No, I want managers and coaches who aren’t morons.  Renteria and Cooper can hit the road.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Cooper is a whiny blowhard and the one acting like he has “beer muscles.”

He doesn't fit the profile of somebody who scours Twitter for comments on the Sox. Somebody needs to remind him there's not a whole lot of interest in the White Sox and there's not a lot of anti Sox talk on Twitter. In this day and age of ultra sensitive PC, Coop's comments come close to having to apologize. He says a lot of negative stuff about fans who criticize. Again ... he's not the manager. He needs to relax. He seemed especially sensitive regarding Reynaldo Lopez who has been so inconsistent. I don't think any Sox fans are clamoring to get rid of Rey. Now Covey and some of the hacks, of course we hate seeing them pitch. The Sox should apologize to all fans for pitching Covey so much this season. he's disgracefully overmatched.

Coop ... have an extra beer and get your pitchers more consistent. Sox fans aren't clamoring for your firing or anything. We want a good rotation and have been patient watching guys like Nova and Rey. Even Cease has been just mediocre while showing flashes of greatness. Nobody's saying anything negative about Cease.

Sox fans actually deserve praise. Hahn or Renteria should praise the fans but that would prolly be throwing Coop under the bus.