Cooper discouraged by social media negativity

caulfield12

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

He doesn't fit the profile of somebody who scours Twitter for comments on the Sox. Somebody needs to remind him there's not a whole lot of interest in the White Sox and there's not a lot of anti Sox talk on Twitter. In this day and age of ultra sensitive PC, Coop's comments come close to having to apologize. He says a lot of negative stuff about fans who criticize. Again ... he's not the manager. He needs to relax. He seemed especially sensitive regarding Reynaldo Lopez who has been so inconsistent. I don't think any Sox fans are clamoring to get rid of Rey. Now Covey and some of the hacks, of course we hate seeing them pitch. The Sox should apologize to all fans for pitching Covey so much this season. he's disgracefully overmatched.

Coop ... have an extra beer and get your pitchers more consistent. Sox fans aren't clamoring for your firing or anything. We want a good rotation and have been patient watching guys like Nova and Rey. Even Cease has been just mediocre while showing flashes of greatness. Nobody's saying anything negative about Cease.

Sox fans actually deserve praise. Hahn or Renteria should praise the fans but that would prolly be throwing Coop under the bus.

If the young rotation doesn't make marked/decided progress next year (out of that group after Giolito), there's just no way he can survive...not if they're seriously about contending in 2021.

• Like 1

I don't pay attention to Sox stuff on twitter or facebook. So I'm not really sure what he speaks of. Here on soxtalk and another message board I post on...I think Sox fans have been remarkably forgiving considering much of the incompetence over the last 10 years. The last 10 years have been so bad, that they should be grateful that there's still people out there who care.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wanne said:

I'm not defending his comments...I merely agreed with his comment that twitter and social media has fucked up our society. You guys want to get your boxers in a wad over Cooper's comments and take it personal....knock yourself out. No skin off my nuts...

I think instead of making these comments,a guy like Cooper should just ignore the tweets  he doesn’t like or twitter in general. What do they expect? If twitter was around in his heyday, you would be able to find thousands of tweets saying Michael Jordan is worthless. Take a franchise that has struggled for over a decade, and that is only going to be multiplied.Maybe even try winning to shut them up.

it appears Don Cooper scours twitter either to find stuff praising him to satisfy his ego, or to look for stuff to b**** about. Does he even have a twitter account?

• Like 1

In 1988, a top aide to George Bush took Bush to a mountain retreat to get away from the media during the Democratic National Convention. The aide thought Bush didn't need to hear all the political attacks during those four days. The Bush campaign, as would any campaign, no doubt monitored the convention as they did all their political opposition. But the candidate didn't need to do that. It is tough enough running for president and staying on message without getting too distracted by foes and critics.

I am sure that someone in the White Sox organization monitors the internet and social media for various reasons. But top front office people shouldn't do that nor should the manager, coaches and players. It is tough enough to compete at the major league level without getting distracted by fans lashing out. Praise and criticism will eventually find its way to the team; you don't need to go looking for it.

Secondly, it is bad PR for Cooper to argue and fight with fans especially when the team is losing. In addition to rebuilding the team on the field, the franchise needs to rebuild its fan base. They won't do it this way.

Any rebuild is hard. It takes a long time, and there is so much losing. There is bound to be hurt feelings on all sides.

If I was Cooper, I wouldn't obsess about social media. There are plenty of challenges ahead without worrying about this stuff. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I think instead of making these comments,a guy like Cooper should just ignore the tweets  he doesn’t like or twitter in general. What do they expect? If twitter was around in his heyday, you would be able to find thousands of tweets saying Michael Jordan is worthless. Take a franchise that has struggled for over a decade, and that is only going to be multiplied.Maybe even try winning to shut them up.

it appears Don Cooper scours twitter either to find stuff praising him to satisfy his ego, or to look for stuff to b**** about. Does he even have a twitter account?

I probably missed it but has KW or Hahn or Ricky praised the fans at all this season? Crowds at home have been great from all I can tell watching on MLB. I think Coop is fine but he really should shut up. You never win by blasting fans and I'd venture to guess a lot of the fans who attend games have done so for a long time. There's got to be at least 100 or so die hards who have been supporting the team forever and the Sox need somebody to thank them not make them read Coop's negativity from social media of all things. Bleep social media. Who cares what anonymous folks write on there?