MLB Testing Robot Umps in AFL

ScootsMcGoots

https://www.mlb.com/news/major-league-baseball-tests-robot-umpires-arizona-fall-league

Interesting take: 

“It kind of changes the whole game,” said Royce Lewis, who is ranked the Twins' No. 1 prospect, according to MLB Pipeline. “It’s still tough, but anyone can catch it back there with electronic. I’d rather have the guys that are working hard and framing and building an element of their game to better themselves."

Also this:

“There have been some pitches where our catcher will make a comment to the umpire like, ‘I think that was a strike’ and even the umpire will agree,” Rockies prospect Ashton Goudeau, who fired three perfect innings on Thursday, said. “It’s definitely different to see what the umpire thinks is a strike and what actually is a strike.”

Finally this:

While there are certainly some bugs to iron out, overall the goal is to make the strike zone more consistent, and that’s ultimately something everyone seems to agree on.

“It’s very fair,” Goudeau said. “It’s fair for both sides, it’s very consistent. … It’s definitely been consistent. That’s what everyone’s been talking about.”

Ho man I hope this is implemented in the next decade. Baseball needs this so badly.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

Baseball doesn't need it badly but I would like robo ump if it is good.

Interestingly fangraphs interviewed a catcher and a pitcher in a pod and they didn't like it much and said it would not only call strange strikes but also be inconsistent which is exactly what it should avoid.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/effectively-wild-episode-1433-a-pitcher-and-catcher-report/

Maybe it was selective perception by the guys but maybe the system needs still some improvement.

Stats however didn't change much with Robo ump, Ks and runs the same and walks only slightly down with robo ump compared to real ump in the first half. That would mean impact isn't that big

As someone who still plays and catches in the leagues I play in, it's annoying when I catch a ball a little awkwardly thinking a breaking ball is going to break more only for the ump to tell me I cost the pitcher a strike. If you're seeing that it is perfectly over the plate, why does matter how I catch it? Just call it a strike.