State of Chicago baseball: the tipping point

35thstreetswarm

On 10/5/2020 at 7:23 PM, 35thstreetswarm said:

Ahem...I guess you could make an argument for the Cubs/Sox series at Wrigley this year as the "tipping point" for the two teams, but I'm sticking with roughly September 25, 2019.  I haven't seen my Cub fan friends have any fun since last Fall, frankly.

Yep.  Nailed it. 🤣

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Haha 1

One of the first friends I made in San Antonio was a fellow coach from Chicago. He's one of the smartest baseball guys I know and now runs two baseball practice facilities ( you can't call these places batting cages anymore) 

It was really easy being happy for him when they won and he's reciprocated. He even attended a Sox game this year. Being a 1,000 miles away it's so much easier to think of the Cubs being like any other NL team. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

College Football rules in Florida. 

The Bucs never ruled in TB

The Dolphins at one time ruled Miami.

The Lightning are the darlings of the Gulf Coast with 2 Cups in a row, I love them almost as much as the Blackhawks but the Ray's should also be the darlings, they just happen to play at a place that is far removed from the population base of Tampa Bay. If they ever built them a stsdium near Downtown Tampa, their attendance would improve remarkably. The interest is there as their TV ratings are very good. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

On 9/26/2019 at 3:05 PM, greg775 said:

The test was 05. We won it all and if ever the Sox were going to pull even in popularity or take over it was then. I would think we had the most momentum we'd ever have, but the team did not maintain. It celebrated one full offseason and the entire next season and from then on, it's been all downhill.

My guess is if somehow this tank/rebuild turns into utter dominance of baseball, yes we'd pull even or pass the Cubs. But frankly despite the acquisition of Hall of Fame type talent in Moncada and Eloy and perhaps one of our best hitting shortstops ever in Tim, we are far away from .500 even. Our pitching staff remains suspect at best. If Cease, Gio, Kopech, Lopez dominate, it's a different story. As of now we have very inconsistent starters and an awful bullpen. 

In conclusion, we blew a chance in 05 to take the city by storm (Blackhawks times 10) and now we are totally inconsequential, maybe 3/5s  through a rebuild in terms of roster.

this aged poorly lol

• Haha 1

My dad was a Cubs fan, and so was I, as a young lad who’d yet to discover the joys of Channel 44 after 7pm. 

Do what you will, but I enjoyed having a small rivalry with my old man, in regards to our ball clubs of choice. I also give him a ton of credit for taking me to both ballparks as I was growing up. 

Cheers to you and your kids. Having them as baseball fans is probably the most important thing. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:16 AM, southsider2k5 said:

The interesting part is that the Charles Comiskey being cheap stuff has largely been disproven, but people buy it because it was in the movie.

https://sabr.org/research/article/how-cheap-was-charles-comiskey-salaries-and-the-black-sox/

Yes. 

And there is boo hooing  and crying over Babe Ruth, forgetting that Comiskey paid $50,000 for Eddie Collins and $35,000 for Joe Jackson. But that won’t do when you’re determined to get a good anger going about shit from 100 years ago

Edited by NO!!MARY!!!