Sox Win and Cubs Eliminated

bubba phillips

Nice Daily Double.   Unlikely win considering we started Detwiler against a team fighting for a Wild Card berth.  That's 7 more wins than last year with a good chance to make that double digits by the end of the season.

Regarding the Cubs:  when they won it all in 2016 (much to our chagrin), many in the national media were  forecasting a dynasty.  At least multiple WS appearances for the next several years.  Actual result:  none in the last 3 years and not even a playoff appearance this year.

That's another example of how ridiculous it is  that some people here think that when the Sox rebuild is complete, we will have multiple WS appearances.  The realistic goal is multiple playoff appearances.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

That's another example of how ridiculous it is  that some people here think that when the Sox rebuild is complete, we will have multiple WS appearances.  The realistic goal is multiple playoff appearances.

I haven't read probably 90% of the posts in this forum but I don't remember anyone predicting or expecting multiple WS appearances. I've always assumed that multiple playoff appearances was the goal.

Hell, getting 2 in back to back years would be a first for this franchise.

3 hours ago, bubba phillips said:

Nice Daily Double.   Unlikely win considering we started Detwiler against a team fighting for a Wild Card berth.  That's 7 more wins than last year with a good chance to make that double digits by the end of the season.

Regarding the Cubs:  when they won it all in 2016 (much to our chagrin), many in the national media were  forecasting a dynasty.  At least multiple WS appearances for the next several years.  Actual result:  none in the last 3 years and not even a playoff appearance this year.

Dynasties are pretty hard to do in MLB.  I guess you would have to water down the definition by making multiple playoffs. 

23 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Dynasties are pretty hard to do in MLB.  I guess you would have to water down the definition by making multiple playoffs. 

Agreed 100%. Was just saying this to a couple of buddies the other day.

I just miss watching competitive baseball from the beginning of the season until the end (well, they always used to fade in the 2000s it seemed). Only this time, let's sneak some more post-season appearances in there.

Edited by soxfan2014

I still say the Cubs rebuild/tank was a failure. I mean with all the money they have to work with, a good GM could win simply by buying free agents and going with the guys in their minor league system when they are MLB ready. Cubs are really in trouble. No playoffs this season is unacceptable. Who would have thought Milwaukee would get this good?

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I still say the Cubs rebuild/tank was a failure. I mean with all the money they have to work with, a good GM could win simply by buying free agents and going with the guys in their minor league system when they are MLB ready. Cubs are really in trouble. No playoffs this season is unacceptable. Who would have thought Milwaukee would get this good?

Imagine if the Brewers GM had an extra $125 million to spend on payroll.  Holy moly.  That’s how much better that front office is than Theo’s.  Running circles around them. 

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Cubs rebuild was a failure?  Good god man, that’s a bad take.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Quite possibly your worst opinion on this site 

I'd like to see the Sox sign a free agent that the Cubs are after, like perhaps, Castellanos. That would make for some interesting conversation here.

Epstein  said he is going to make a lot of changes. Guys like Russell, Schwarber, Zobrist , probably won't be there nest year.  Cubs will bolster the bullpen with several guys to set up for  Kimbrel . The Cubs would Cody Parkey him if they didn't owe him big bucks.   

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Cubs rebuild was a failure?  Good god man, that’s a bad take.

Cubs can't win pennants the old fashioned way with all that cash? They got to tank/rebuild? If Sox had that kind of money I'd expect utter domination like the Braves winning all those division titles back in the day. Whatever ... if I'm wrong I'm wrong. I don't think having a bad opinion once in a while, IF this was a bad one, is an impeachable offense.

Edited by greg775

I said this in another thread and will say it here as I had in the past.  I get nothing financially out of my team's success.

All I want is the daily enjoyment of a winning baseball team.  After the first game of 2006, 2005 was done.  I hope my daily enthusiasm for the White Sox and knowing every day when and where they are playing and getting out to the park is a priority that returns as it has not been there for a number of years. 

I'd take 6 - 10 years of playoff success over one world series.

I agree with the Sox rebuild btw.  Now, if the cubs don't make the playoffs again and the Dodgers win the next 10 NL west titles, which run of success as a fan to enjoy more. 

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Once again, it's astonishing how much time greg spends at this site, without having even a remote understanding of how baseball works. It's actually quite impressive when you take a step back. 

I think we need to start giving greg gold star stickers when he has a good post, and a frown face sticker, possibly a trip to time out when he has a bad post. Maybe he'll learn better that way

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Cubs can't win pennants the old fashioned way with all that cash? They got to tank/rebuild? If Sox had that kind of money I'd expect utter domination like the Braves winning all those division titles back in the day. Whatever ... if I'm wrong I'm wrong. I don't think having a bad opinion once in a while, IF this was a bad one, is an impeachable offense.

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Cubs’ rebuild was clearly not a failure with a WS.  But their era is over and was far less impressive than predicted.  They were going for “Giants” and will turn out to be more “Royals”.

Flags fly forever so it was a success: but they are in a really tough spot.  They are looking at a window opening maybe in 2023 onwards if they can turn and burn, which is far from certain.  Their 40 man sucks.  It's rather shocking how quickly Q has fallen off.  He doesn't even look like a guy they want on the 25 man.  He might get non tendered if you can believe it.

Their roster looks a lot like the pre-rebuild White Sox.  Some stars, a lot of scrubs, no depth on the 40 man, and no depth in the minors.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

They're going to be remembered as the 85 Bears when it's all said and done. 

BUT, 2015-2018 was a run any of us would envy right now for the Sox. They build an incredible core, and made some really bad FA and drafting decisions along the way. 

Luckily the Sox won't have any problems like that.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

Once again, it's astonishing how much time greg spends at this site, without having even a remote understanding of how baseball works. It's actually quite impressive when you take a step back. 

I'm saying if the Cubs have to resort to a tank/rebuild to finally win one WS, that is sad. All that $$$$$. They should have been able to win some titles along the way doing it the old fashioned way. So Tony I presume you think you know baseball. And I guess tank/rebuild is the only way to do it? Even for the cash rich Cubs? Sad for them. 

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I wouldn't call it a failure, but it has been a downer. The Cubs have a lot more talent than the Brewers in all phases of the game except back end bullpen. Yet, they have been getting smoked by them and choking septembers away. I don't even count last year as postseason for them, I think if you don't play in an actual series, you didn't make the real playoffs. The Cubs haven't played in a real series in back to back seasons. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm so sick of you bringing so many threads to a screeching halt because you're uneducated on so many different topics. 

First of all my comments don't bring threads to a halt. Prove it. Secondly, you need to talk to more average fans, ones who you would say "don't know baseball." My statement that the Cubs rebuild/tank was a failure is correct if you take into consideration what I'm talking about: the history of Cubs baseball. You won't even try to understand what I'm saying so I'll stop after this. The Cubs ... with all that money through the years could have and should have won numerous NL pennants and a handful of WS titles the last six decades or so. With all that money they could have won a batch of titles in the early years of free agency -- definitely in the 60s, 70s and 80s they could have won titles the old fashioned way.

I'm saying the tank is a failure because it provided one title. This year and last were disgraceful conclusion to their rebuild attempt. You won't try to understand what I'm saying about the old, traditional way of winning pennants (spending money; getting the best players and managers) so I'll stop. If you attempted to converse about this I'd take part. No more posts from me on this topic.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, greg775 said:

This is why I said shooting to be like the Cubs is not the goal.  We want to model the Astros.