2020 Coaching Changes

Chicago White Sox

2020 Coaching Changes  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which coaches will NOT return in 2020?

• Joe McEwing, Bench Coach
    • Todd Steverson, Hitting Coach
    • Greg Sparks, Assistant Hitting Coach
    • Don Cooper, Pitching Coach
    • Curt Hasler, Assistant Hitting Coach
    • Daryl Boston, First Base Coach
    • Nick Capra, Third Base Coach

So during Hahn’s State of the White Sox update yesterday, he flat out said Renteria was their manager for 2020 but also implied there could be other coaching changes coming.

I find this fascinating as I was fully expecting the whole group to be brought back.  So here is the question: of the seven major league coaches who do you think will NOT be back in 2020?  While feel free to state what you would if you were charge, please vote based on what you think the White Sox will do.  Also, multiple options are allowed but please don’t spam this poll by voting for everyone as they aren’t going to gut this entire staff.

So my guess is they go one of two options here.  1) They clean house on the hitting side and replace Steverson & Sparks with guys from outside the organization.   2) They let go of McEwing and bring in a different bench.  Either this would be an outside guy who is more analytical-oriented to cover Ricky’s weaknesses or they promote Vizquel in fear of losing him in the not too distant future.

I went back and forth on this, but ultimately chose scenario one.  The hitting outside of a select few guys has been atrocious and plate discipline has practically been non-existent.  While I could make a similar argument against the pitching coaches (and truly believe it’s time for Cooper to go), they are far more likely to be protected than Todd & Greg who were outside hires IMO.  Also, Hahn citing the need to improve our OBP throughout the lineup is the biggest sign that Steverson & Sparks are on the hot seat.

I see Capra going. Hahn mentioned teaching, Capra was brought in for that. Send him back to minor league administration.Maybe throw Vizquel a bone and put him at 3rd and instruct infielders, especially TA.. Steversom was one of only 5 MLB hitting coaches around for more than 3 years coming into the season. Of the 4 others, the only one who won’t make the playoffs is the guy in Cleveland. Teams are going more analytical with that position. Now might be the time for someone like that. Coop is year to year. He won’t be asked to leave, but at some point he will have had enough.

22 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I see Capra going. Hahn mentioned teaching, Capra was brought in for that. Send him back to minor league administration.Maybe throw Vizquel a bone and put him at 3rd and instruct infielders, especially TA.. Steversom was one of only 5 MLB hitting coaches around for more than 3 years coming into the season. Of the 4 others, the only one who won’t make the playoffs is the guy in Cleveland. Teams are going more analytical with that position. Now might be the time for someone like that. Coop is year to year. He won’t be asked to leave, but at some point he will have had enough.

I think Steverson is as good as gone.  Margulas also seems to think the writing is on the wall based on Hahn’s commentary.

45 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Wasn't he a huge part of Moncada's emergence this year? Do they really want to go there?

He worked with him over the offseason in AZ, but a lot of that may have been Moncada driven.  Either way, our plate discipline has been horrendous and oftentimes it seems like our guys have no game-plan.  Renteria made a crazy comment earlier this season that Todd was doing his job but some players were just zoning him out.  To me, once the players stop listening to a coach, a change is most definitely needed.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He worked with him over the offseason in AZ, but a lot of that may have been Moncada driven.  Either way, our plate discipline has been horrendous and oftentimes it seems like our guys have no game-plan.  Renteria made a crazy comment earlier this season that Todd was doing his job but some players were just zoning him out.  To me, once the players stop listening to a coach, a change is most definitely needed.

That and they have the fewest walks in the league, top 4 in most strikeouts, and are 50 below league average in home runs hit, even with the breakout seasons. It was ridiculous to bring him back this year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What about Anderson?  McCann here vs Detroit? TA has taken a solid jump at the plate which like Moncada has to be attributed to Steverson. The overall offensive numbers are bad but the core players for next year  Abreu, Anderson, Moncada, Eloy and McCann all made improvement at the plate this season.  With the dearth of offensive talent after that group, it may be hard to determine how effective the hitting coaches are.  

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

What about Anderson?  McCann here vs Detroit? TA has taken a solid jump at the plate which like Moncada has to be attributed to Steverson. The overall offensive numbers are bad but the core players for next year  Abreu, Anderson, Moncada, Eloy and McCann all made improvement at the plate this season.  With the dearth of offensive talent after that group, it may be hard to determine how effective the hitting coaches are.  

I must have missed it, but what has Timmy attributed to Steverson?  Other than Moncada, I’m not sure I’ve much proof Steverson has driven any of these changes.  I have seen our manager say guys are zoning him out though, which is a significant red flag IMO.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I must have missed it, but what has Timmy attributed to Steverson?  Other than Moncada, I’m not sure I’ve much proof Steverson has driven any of these changes.  I have seen our manager say guys are zoning him out though, which is a significant red flag IMO.

To his credit, Anderson made changes.

“It was taking his experiences, bottling them up and dealing what was good and what was bad and what needed to be adjusted and fixed,” Steverson said.

“I put the work in and it’s showing,” Anderson said.

Anderson is standing taller in his stance, is chasing fewer bad pitches, and is hitting curveballs at a .311 clip. As Steverson puts it, the barrel action is creating more accuracy. Timing is everything, and “better timing has allowed him to make better decisions.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2019/9/25/20884709/white-sox-tim-anderson-batting-title-indians

25 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yeah, it would be really fun watching things like Jose Abreu play 3rd base and Zack Collins leading off.  Sign me up

While Maddon's tendencies to get cute with his lineup and playing guys out of position annoy me, two things:

1) He'd have the DH again

2) If the choice is Ricky or Maddon I take Maddon every single time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Yeah, it would be really fun watching things like Jose Abreu play 3rd base and Zack Collins leading off.  Sign me up

Yea lets just have Ricky throwing Leury and Yolmer Sanchez up there in the leadoff spot and bunt with Moncada with runners on base instead.

• Thanks 1

Just because I don't want Joe Maddon destroying our bullpen, mismanaging starting pitching, playing guys out of position for the funsies, and out managing himself in a way only Joe Maddon could do does not mean I want Renteria.  He also makes 6 million a year. 

If Maddon would be an option in the first place it would mean Ricky was gone.  

Edited by BackDoorBreach

The correct answer should be a complete housecleaning from Ricky down but Renteria got ye olde vote of confidence. My answer is only Capra. 

I don't see Steverson going anywhere with the improvements that Moncada and Anderson made along with the in-season adjustments from Jimenez. 

I'm convinced Cooper is going nowhere until he wants to. 

Edited by Jack Parkman