2020 Coaching Changes

Chicago White Sox

2020 Coaching Changes  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which coaches will NOT return in 2020?

• Joe McEwing, Bench Coach
    • Todd Steverson, Hitting Coach
    • Greg Sparks, Assistant Hitting Coach
    • Don Cooper, Pitching Coach
    • Curt Hasler, Assistant Hitting Coach
    • Daryl Boston, First Base Coach
    • Nick Capra, Third Base Coach

On 9/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, Dick Allen said:

I see Capra going. Hahn mentioned teaching, Capra was brought in for that. Send him back to minor league administration.Maybe throw Vizquel a bone and put him at 3rd and instruct infielders, especially TA.. Steversom was one of only 5 MLB hitting coaches around for more than 3 years coming into the season. Of the 4 others, the only one who won’t make the playoffs is the guy in Cleveland. Teams are going more analytical with that position. Now might be the time for someone like that. Coop is year to year. He won’t be asked to leave, but at some point he will have had enough.

I think abandoning teachers is the wrong way to go. They need guys at every position on the coaching staff who excel at player development to help get the most out of the guys on the roster. 

I know they’re close to having their window fully open as they head towards contention but they can not afford to put player development on the back burner when teams like the Dodgers and Astros emphasize it. 

1 hour ago, Sockin said:

Heard a rumor from someone that Coop is retiring and Steverson is out and Menechino is replacing him. 

🤔...this Cooper rumor sounds too good to be true, but he’s got to be close to retirement.

I know next to nothing about Menechino so not sure if that would be good or bad.

Ricky should be gone.  He’s terrible.

Capra has to be the worst third base coach in baseball.

I don’t really see what Steverson has done well to keep his job as long as he has. 

Cooper is only gone if he chooses to leave or retire.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Ricky should be gone.  He’s terrible.

Capra has to be the worst third base coach in baseball.

I don’t really see what Steverson has done well to keep his job as long as he has. 

Cooper is only gone if he chooses to leave of retire.

Cooper is 63. He is probably waiting until 66 for his SS.................................... 

23 hours ago, poppysox said:

Did Steverson have anything to do with Anderson, Eloy, Jose, Moncada and McCann's year?  Pitching concerns me more than hitting.

Not sure. But all the guys that matter for the future of this team seemed to progress very well. I'd be surprised if they pushed him out.

1 hour ago, Capital G said:

I dont see why Cooper would retire now when next year and 21 might finally have some decent teams. He is "only" 63.

My guess is we see Capra gone. Bring up Omar.

I would like to see Omar and his influence on Timmy.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 2:35 PM, Sockin said:

Heard a rumor from someone that Coop is retiring and Steverson is out and Menechino is replacing him. 

Let's give this guy credit. Was right about Steverson and Menechino. Hopefully Cooper news will come. 

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

After Renteria's surgery, I must admit, Super Joe looked mighty impressive walking out to the mound to make pitching changes.

He was the one who put Anderson and Moncada at the top of the order when the Sox started heating up. Then Renteria returned and dropped Moncada back down and Timmy bounced around the order a hit before setting in at 2.