A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I wouldn't mind him at all, I just hate gambling on often hurt older pitchers.  He's a soft tossing lefty that spots all his pitches.  He'd be a great balance piece for sure.

An "often hurt older pitcher" fits my request for a 6th starter.

3 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Sorry back on page one when I started thread.  It is Brett Gardner.  Only thing against him is age but he hasn't shown signs of any slowdown.  One year and option or two years probably gets it done.  I think he would be a great mentor as well.  Never heard a bad thing about him with NY writers around everyday.  Allows time for our young minor league guys to develop or allows you to go after big FA RF down the road.  When I started researching, I was very surprised by his numbers.  Keep an open mind and take a look

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gardnbr01.shtml

Gardner is one of the better ideas for a one or two year placeholder deal.

10 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I mean he had 182 this year, not bad at all. But yeah he will probably want a lot of money with that low ERA

Right, this year.

From 2015-2018 he pitched just over 200 innings in 4 years combined.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

Corey Dickerson put up 2.6 and 2.7 when he was healthy, and feels like a White Sox special coming off an injury-plagued year.

It will be interesting to see where Gardner ends up for 1-2 years.  If I were him, I would wait to see what other moves (see pitching) a team like the White Sox makes.   The guys wired a bit like Paul O’Neill, super-competitive.   Minnesota and the Indians would be just as likely options within our own division.

You know JR isn’t going to get into a bidding war for an older player like that...but who knows, maybe he thinks the name and Yankees’ ties would be enough to increase attendance in a stop gap year that could be competitive if they allocated the money wisely enough.

56 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

With all of our upcoming outfield prospects (you would hope one of them pans out) and the quality OF free agents next year, I think a stopgap RF is exactly what we should be looking at for this year. This would allow us to fill a hole with minimal cost while we throw more money at pitching, which is the greater need at this point. I want two starting pitchers, one bullpen piece, Grandal or a DH, and a stopgap RF. If there were better RF free agents available, then I would want to look at a long term signing. But all of the RF free agents have flaws.

Personally I think it would be crazy to make roster moves with the idea that we have the likes of Micker, Basabae, Walker, and Rutherford in the minors...not saying they can’t be good players, but I sure wouldn’t be banking on them anytime soon. I don’t see them as anything more than minor league depth that most teams have. 

And I honestly haven’t looked at next years free agent class much, but I’m also not holding my breath on the Sox making huge splash signings on star level players. I think we will be looking forward to next year on that signing for a long time. 

Admittedly it could be my impatience, but I think Ozuna fills holes of exactly what we need...but he will fill the holes well, not great. Not to mention you’d have to question why a 36yo guy like Gardner would choose to be a stop gap on a team with no WS aspirations. He will have options...

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Personally I think it would be crazy to make roster moves with the idea that we have the likes of Micker, Basabae, Walker, and Rutherford in the minors...not saying they can’t be good players, but I sure wouldn’t be banking on them anytime soon. I don’t see them as anything more than minor league depth that most teams have. 

And I honestly haven’t looked at next years free agent class much, but I’m also not holding my breath on the Sox making huge splash signings on star level players. I think we will be looking forward to next year on that signing for a long time. 

Admittedly it could be my impatience, but I think Ozuna fills holes of exactly what we need...but he will fill the holes well, not great. Not to mention you’d have to question why a 36yo guy like Gardner would choose to be a stop gap on a team with no WS aspirations. He will have options...

I unfortunately agree...right now it looks like it will take something major changing for the White Sox to get 1 OF out of that group, and none of them will be big league ready in 2021.

The 2021 Free Agents include Mookie Betts, George Springer, Joc Pederson, Michael Brantley. The first 2 are clear stars, but as you noted - it's hard to see the White Sox going for them because they're clear stars. With a franchise anyone had confidence in - holding RF for a year with a stopgap and targeting one of those would be a solid option, but with good reason no one has confidence in the White Sox.

But...the fact that no one has confidence in the White Sox signing a player to a multi-year, fair value deal also affects Ozuna - who may have also specifically asked his agent to make sure he's extended with the Cardinals as well. I struggle to see the White Sox signing him almost as much as I struggle to see them making a run at Springer.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Corey Dickerson put up 2.6 and 2.7 when he was healthy, and feels like a White Sox special coming off an injury-plagued year.

It will be interesting to see where Gardner ends up for 1-2 years.  If I were him, I would wait to see what other moves (see pitching) a team like the White Sox makes.   The guys wired a bit like Paul O’Neill, super-competitive.   Minnesota and the Indians would be just as likely options within our own division.

You know JR isn’t going to get into a bidding war for an older player like that...but who knows, maybe he thinks the name and Yankees’ ties would be enough to increase attendance in a stop gap year that could be competitive if they allocated the money wisely enough.

Wow...are you suggesting that signing Gardner would somehow increase our attendance next year?

8 minutes ago, Baker said:

Probably been mentioned but what about Hayward and Schwarber for a couple of throw-ins. Taking on a big contract but a gold glove RF might get us a second look from available pitching. Schwarber for DH. 

The Cubs can’t do a complete teardown with a new broadcast network starting.

Worst case scenario is Heyward is a 725ish OPS RFer in the NL who wipes out a lot of financial flexibility.

You could imagine Schwarber at DH, but why would the Cubs just give him away, knowing they have to replace Zobrist and not 100% confident in Happ or Almora, either...

14 minutes ago, Baker said:

Probably been mentioned but what about Hayward and Schwarber for a couple of throw-ins. Taking on a big contract but a gold glove RF might get us a second look from available pitching. Schwarber for DH. 

It's honestly an interesting idea.... covers our RF AND provides us with a powerful LH DH bat... I would actually like this assume they picked up 1/3 -1/2 of his salary.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow...are you suggesting that signing Gardner would somehow increase our attendance next year?

In the minds of the marketing department, maybe.  I guess they also believed the perception of “being in on” Harper and Machado was beneficial, too, right?

Having been a Sox fan since 1979, I can think of literally 50 former All-Stars we brought into the fold 3-7 years too late in their careers.

There’s such a track record of doing exactly this that Cole, Rendon, Springer (next year) seem far-fetched to all but the most optimistic Sox fans.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I unfortunately agree...right now it looks like it will take something major changing for the White Sox to get 1 OF out of that group, and none of them will be big league ready in 2021.

The 2021 Free Agents include Mookie Betts, George Springer, Joc Pederson, Michael Brantley. The first 2 are clear stars, but as you noted - it's hard to see the White Sox going for them because they're clear stars. With a franchise anyone had confidence in - holding RF for a year with a stopgap and targeting one of those would be a solid option, but with good reason no one has confidence in the White Sox.

But...the fact that no one has confidence in the White Sox signing a player to a multi-year, fair value deal also affects Ozuna - who may have also specifically asked his agent to make sure he's extended with the Cardinals as well. I struggle to see the White Sox signing him almost as much as I struggle to see them making a run at Springer.

Dude we get it, you hate the white sox. My goodness.

Dont use the term no one or everyone. People dont need to be lumped into your overly negative garbage.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, Baker said:

It’s feasible. The Cubs need to get JH off the books so the they can sign Castellanos and re-up Baez. Schwarber is the sweetener. 

Not really.  The two most expensive arbitration years of Schwarber, then he’s a free agent in 2022 right in the heart of their competitive window.  

Generally, that’s the opposite of what teams like the Astros do, which is keep adding quality pre-arbitration players to their young core that is extended into free agency at going rates.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

In the minds of the marketing department, maybe.  I guess they also believed the perception of “being in on” Harper and Machado was beneficial, too, right?

Having been a Sox fan since 1979, I can think of literally 50 former All-Stars we brought into the fold 3-7 years too late in their careers.

There’s such a track record of doing exactly this that Cole, Rendon, Springer (next year) seem far-fetched to all but the most optimistic Sox fans.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but Brett Gardner is NOT a big name (despite being a good player) and his addition alone would NOT sell any tickets.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Lol unbelievable.

Yes, Sox fans would be liked up at the ticket office waiting to buy season tickets after the mighty brett gardner is signed.

Gardner has zero interest in leaving New York. He made that very clear last year.

I don't see how Springer doesn't get extended, so I'm going to assume he's going nowhere.

2021's FA class for corner OF is worse than this one outside of Mookie.  I think it would be a bad idea to hold of getting more than a stop gap RF this year.

Also Mookie is going  to be more expensive than Cole, so..why not just use the imaginary Mookie money to get Cole?  

Edited by BackDoorBreach

2 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't see how Springer doesn't get extended, so I'm going to assume he's going nowhere.

2021's FA class for corner OF is worse than this one outside of Mookie.  I think it would be a bad idea to hold of getting more than a stop gap RF this year.

Also Mookie is going  to be more expensive than Cole, so..why not juat use the imaginary Mookie money to get Cole?  

Astros are up against the ceiling. If they win the world series they may hid on Cole but with their contracts I dont see how they do extend him. He'll be older  (31) and the stros need to lock up bregman and correa.

The 2021 class has the two best RF'ers in the game arguably (springer and mookie) and you are arguing it's worse than this years crop? Say what?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run