A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Astros are up against the ceiling. If they win the world series they may hid on Cole but with their contracts I dont see how they do extend him. He'll be older  (31) and the stros need to lock up bregman and correa.

The 2021 class has the two best RF'ers in the game arguably (springer and mookie) and you are arguing it's worse than this years crop? Say what?

Bregman already got locked up, they aren't up against anything.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I have no idea what you are talking about, but Brett Gardner is NOT a big name (despite being a good player) and his addition alone would NOT sell any tickets.

Chris Sale didn’t even sell many extra tickets.

Right now, they’re hyper profitable.  Until they spend $100+ million on a player (almost 50% more than any contract in club history), this will be hanging over their heads.

Which is why we will never even get Gardner, it will inevitably be someone like Dickerson or Matt Joyce.

Just the way it is.  

We get Carson Fulmer, a franchise that has been to the playoffs for seven consecutive years gets Walker Buehler.  They get Max Muncy, Chris Taylor, Turner and Kiki Gonzalez...we get Palka, Tilson, Engel and Cordell.   They have a Rookie of the Year candidate nearly every season, we get Collins and Burger.

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't see how Springer doesn't get extended, so I'm going to assume he's going nowhere.

2021's FA class for corner OF is worse than this one outside of Mookie.  I think it would be a bad idea to hold of getting more than a stop gap RF this year.

Also Mookie is going  to be more expensive than Cole, so..why not juat use the imaginary Mookie money to get Cole?  

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Bregman already got locked up, they aren't up against anything.

They've spent a ton of money already. B-R has their costs including arb guys at $207 million in 2020 - if they sign Cole they'd be in Red Sox territory next year. They're going to probably be over the tax just finding someone to replace Wade Miley and they'll go with some of their young guys to fill out the rotation. 2021 with Arb guys they're over $160 million - so they have some money to spend there, but with a bunch of other positions to re-fill. I think Springer and Cole hit FA out of that group, I'm not sure about Correa - depends on if he can ever get healthy again.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Right now, they’re hyper profitable.  Until they spend $100+ million on a player (almost 50% more than any contract in club history), this will be hanging over their heads.

Which is why we will never even get Gardner, it will inevitably be someone like Dickerson or Matt Joyce.

Just the way it is.  

We get Carson Fulmer, a franchise that has been to the playoffs for seven consecutive years gets Walker Buehler.  They get Max Muncy, Chris Taylor, Turner and Kiki Gonzalez...we get Palka, Tilson, Engel and Cordell.   They have a Rookie of the Year candidate nearly every season, we get Collins and Burger.

Gardner just signed for 1 year 7.5 million. You are using brett gardner and 100 million dollars in the same sentence. What universe am I in?

What do the Dodgers have to do with white sox free agency?

Dickerson is arguably just as good as gardner and hes not 36 years old.

Why do some white sox fans act like victims 24 hours a day?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Astros are up against the ceiling. If they win the world series they may hid on Cole but with their contracts I dont see how they do extend him. He'll be older  (31) and the stros need to lock up bregman and correa.

The 2021 class has the two best RF'ers in the game arguably (springer and mookie) and you are arguing it's worse than this years crop? Say what?

It will be if they get taken off the market.

Both those guys are core leaders.  The Astros will keep Springer (Altuve/Bregman) over Correa if they have to choose one to let go. Correa simply can’t stay on the field consistently.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Gardner just signed for 1 year 7.5 million. You are using brett gardner and 100 million dollars in the same sentence. What universe am I in?

What do the Dodgers have to do with white sox free agency?

Dickerson is arguably just as good as gardner and hes not 36 years old.

Why do some white sox fans act like victims 24 hours a day?

Nobody thinks Gardner will get more than two years or one and an option.

Hahn would rather sign just about anyone than actually take the risk of losing his job by giving Ozuna $80-90 million and having it blow up in his face.

Until he spends over $68.5 million on ONE player, Hahn apologists will always argue he was financially handcuffed by JR.

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

2021 Verlander and Brantley are off the books.  That is the year Springer hits FA. That's why I don't think he's going anywhere.

Verlander signed an extension through 2021, he is earning $33 million in 2021. Greinke earns $35 million that year (with some money coming from Arizona). Springer hits FA while Verlannder has 1 year remaining.

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

2021 Verlander and Brantley are off the books.  That is the year Springer hits FA. That's why I don't think he's going anywhere.

Not verly, and other players that are young will get raises and they have to fill holes.

Springer is going to cost a boat load. I'd be surprised if they resigned him but you never know.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Nobody thinks Gardner will get more than two years or one and an option.

Hahn would rather sign just about anyone than actually take the risk of losing his job by giving Ozuna $80-90 million and having it blow up in his face.

Until he spends over $68.5 million on ONE player, Hahn apologists will always argue he was financially handcuffed by JR.

Oh, so the sox are going to run 75-80 million dollar payrolls from now on. Thank you for clarifying your stance and position.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It will be if they get taken off the market.

Both those guys are core leaders.  The Astros will keep Springer (Altuve/Bregman) over Correa if they have to choose one to let go. Correa simply can’t stay on the field consistently.

Springer has been hurt 4 of the past 5 years.

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just the way it is.  

JFC...how in the fuck is this a coherent thought or related to the fact Gardner won’t sell tickets.  If you just want to be an irrational whiny little b**** about the Sox, please put away the keyboard and go find something that gives you joy in life.  This post is absolute garbage and quite frankly you should be completely embarrassed for posting it.  You are WAY better than this nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Springer has been hurt 4 of the past 5 years.

Wow, he averaged 14 missed games per season over a three year period (2016-2018).

Hate to see what Moncada would be called compared to that, because the odds of Yoan playing 162 games...well, I will take those odds.

Correa isn’t even averaging 100 games played (294) over the last three seasons.

Okay, I’m convinced.

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just the way it is.  

You're right on! And today I read where the Brewer's GM is making Grandal a priority.

1 minute ago, daggins said:

Here's a little insight as to why Odorizzi might be for real

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jake-odorizzi-explains-his-velocity-jump-and-career-year/

Guy competed in the AL East. He can pitch against the best of the best and he's better now than he was then. I think wheeler's ceiling is higher but I wouldn't be upset at signing odorizzi. His health concerns me though.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Wow, he averaged 14 missed games per season over a three year period (2016-2018).

Hate to see what Moncada would be called compared to that, because the odds of Yoan playing 162 games...well, I will take those odds.

Correa isn’t even averaging 100 games played (294) over the last three seasons.

Okay, I’m convinced.

George Springer has played over 140 games 1 time in his career. Please dont distort the numbers to include his one healthy year. 

Hes missed, on average, about 30 games a year the past 3 years.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

JFC...how in the fuck is this a coherent thought or related to the fact Gardner won’t sell tickets.  If you just want to be an irrational whiny little b**** about the Sox, please put away the keyboard and go find something that gives you joy in life.  This post is absolute garbage and quite frankly you should be completely embarrassed for posting it.  You are WAY better than this nonsense.

It’s embarrassing to be a White Sox fan and miss the playoffs for a longer period of time than 27 other franchises.

Or to actually be Charlie Brown trying to kick the football for an entire offseason of hoping and believing that we’re actually going to sign two superstars in one offseason.

But yeah, I’ll happily go back to watching/listening to “real” baseball right about now.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s embarrassing to be a White Sox fan and miss the playoffs for a longer period of time than 27 other franchises.

Or to actually be Charlie Brown trying to kick the football for an entire offseason of hoping and believing that we’re actually going to sign two superstars in one offseason.

But yeah, I’ll happily go back to watching/listening to “real” baseball right about now.

Then don't be a Sox fan.

Some white sox fans act like a woman with battered spouse syndrome. No one is making you follow or support the white sox. You're not a victim. You have a choice and no one made that choice for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I unfortunately agree...right now it looks like it will take something major changing for the White Sox to get 1 OF out of that group, and none of them will be big league ready in 2021.

The 2021 Free Agents include Mookie Betts, George Springer, Joc Pederson, Michael Brantley. The first 2 are clear stars, but as you noted - it's hard to see the White Sox going for them because they're clear stars. With a franchise anyone had confidence in - holding RF for a year with a stopgap and targeting one of those would be a solid option, but with good reason no one has confidence in the White Sox.

But...the fact that no one has confidence in the White Sox signing a player to a multi-year, fair value deal also affects Ozuna - who may have also specifically asked his agent to make sure he's extended with the Cardinals as well. I struggle to see the White Sox signing him almost as much as I struggle to see them making a run at Springer.

While I’m as pessimistic as anyone about the Sox spending big $....if Ozuna isn’t in our price range we all might as well give up hope on ever making a serious playoff run. A great team that is purely home grown with only bargain bin signings is a long shot at best. 

I’m thinking 3 years/54M with a 4th year as a mutual option for Ozuna. If ownership isn’t willing to spend that, we really are doomed...but even through my negativity I don’t think that’s the case. It’s the $150M+ contracts I have a hard time seeing happen. 

wasn’t aware of Ozuna having a strong desire to stay in St Louis by the way 

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Then don't be a Sox fan.

Some white sox fans act like a woman with battered spouse syndrome. No one is making you follow or support the white sox. You're not a victim. You have a choice and no one made that choice for you.

Not allowed to criticize the White Sox!