A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

Just now, Cashman said:

Not allowed to criticize the White Sox!

Criticize? Pal, when all someone does is parrot the same negative nonsense over and over its nauseating. 

Being critical is fine. Being preemptively critical of an off season that hasn't happened is obnoxious.

I was critical of the miss on Manny last year, I made a couple posts about it and then I moved on with my life. 

If something makes you so angry that all you do is feel negative anger towards them with such frequency that that's all you post about, maybe you should root or follow someone else. If something makes me miserable I move on from it. I advise others to do the same because it's really annoying to listen to someone tell you how horrible and angry something makes them over and over when it's their choice to follow them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Ray Ray can be insufferable at times. If you criticize the team he acts like you spit in his mother's face

Only here is a positive and happy person the insufferable one. In my life overly negative people are the insufferable ones.

Its fine to be critical. Its not fine if you feel the need to turn every single thing into something negative.

Misery does love company though so the victimhood here by some posters is strong.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

I want this.

JDM

Nick Castellanos

Grandal

1 of Cole, Stras, Wheeler

1 of Ryu, Odorizzi, Alex Wood, Julio Teheran (if the Braves don't pick him up)

2 pen arms.

I'd prefer to trade for a LH RF but we don't have anything to trade.  Castellanos' Defensive shortfalls I think are overblown because of Comerica.  I want that bat and JDM's in our lineup

5 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I want this.

JDM

Nick Castellanos

Grandal

2 pen arms.

I'd prefer to trade for a LH RF but we don't have anything to trade.  Castellanos' Defensive shortfalls I think are overblown because of Comerica.  I want that bat and JDM's in our lineup

You couldnt pay me 10 million to start teheran in thr AL but I like a lot of the other stuff. Odorizzi and Ryu dont really belong in the same group as alex wood though, imo.

At this fellas and ladies, we need to get whoever we can. I know some of these guys aren't perfect fits but if they agree to play for us and are significant upgrades, we shouldn't say no. Nick Castellanos may be a bad defender but if he can be a huge upgrade to the RF position and wants to sign, then bring him in. Obviously, if we have our pick of the litter then we can be more selective.

As far as pitchers go, we must sign two good ones if we want to build a yearly contender. We let all of them know that we want them, and the first to agree gets a check. We then play the field and negotiate with the rest and take the best deal to talent combo that will sign. It's important we stockpile talent and let the roster fall where it may. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You couldnt pay me 10 million to start teheran in thr AL but I like a lot of the other stuff. Odorizzi and Ryu dont really belong in the same group as alex wood though, imo.

No they don't but I don't want Bum at all.  For a back end of the rotation lefty I wouldn't hate Wood as a project.  Kopech and Rodon will be up at some point.

47 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Then don't be a Sox fan.

Some white sox fans act like a woman with battered spouse syndrome. No one is making you follow or support the white sox. You're not a victim. You have a choice and no one made that choice for you.

Come on man, you know it is not as easy as just quitting on a team you've cheered for this long. You are right in that the failures of last year should be behind us and that we should be excited about this free agency, but I'd rather our fans vent here than to do something awful IRL. Some people take sports anger out on their loved ones. This being said, I've been real hard on this organization but I'm willing to ride this thing out to the end. We don't really have a choice as we've come this far. 

On 10/3/2019 at 9:44 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Gahhh.  There are parts of this that are ok, but I would be pretty disappointed if that was our offseason in totality, 

Signing Grandal would be a home run.

Getting Nimmo would be fantastic.  Would prefer that it was with the Stiever + Rutherford package as opposed to Reynaldo.

The rest is pretty much trash.  Paying Odorizzi $18M per would a disaster.  We don't need a lefty reliever and giving Pomeranz that deal would be silly.  Fine with Smyly on a milb, but we damn better have filled the other opening with something better than Odorizzi.  Total meh on bringing Nova back unless its for like $3M.  

Would love Abreu on 2/$24.  I fear his great season made that somewhat unrealistic. Probably gets 2/$30M minimum.

Nova is much needed for his innings. Every year we run out of arms. I think the Sox could get Abreu for 12-13 per but will pay him closer to 15. 

33 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Come on man, you know it is not as easy as just quitting on a team you've cheered for this long. You are right in that the failures of last year should be behind us and that we should be excited about this free agency, but I'd rather our fans vent here than to do something awful IRL. Some people take sports anger out on their loved ones. This being said, I've been real hard on this organization but I'm willing to ride this thing out to the end. We don't really have a choice as we've come this far. 

Its entertainment. If a movie is awful I dont sit through it just because I paid to watch it. I leave.

I was a psu fan. Then they raped kids, it made me really angry and i stopped supporting penn state.

I actually appreciate reinsdorfs loyalty as a boss and how well he treats his employees - I respect a boss like that. I appreciated him being a pioneer in regards to race and other things in the baseball world. 

Anyone who takes sports so seriously that they take it out on their families need counciling, not a forum to vent on instead of abusing their family.

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Its entertainment. If a movie is awful I dont sit through it just because I paid to watch it. I leave.

I was a psu fan. Then they raped kids, it made me really angry and i stopped supporting penn state.

I actually appreciate reinsdorfs loyalty as a boss and how well he treats his employees - I respect a boss like that. I appreciated him being a pioneer in regards to race and other things in the baseball world. 

Anyone who takes sports so seriously that they take it out on their families need counciling, not a forum to vent on instead of abusing their family.

The point I was making was venting on a message board is fine, as there are people who do much worse. It may get annoying at times, but it is what it is. In the same manner, if you don't like people venting here this much you can simply not read their posts. Being sports fan angry and complaining on forums does not mean your life is in shambles or that you are wrong. Your movie example is not relevant here because a movie is a one time thing and not something people invest in since they are kids. Movies don't bring people together like sports. Penn State is different because that was sex crimes against children. The frustration directed at the FO last offseason probably means they will handle things differently this year. Fans have a voice and should always use it, as long as they aren't being rude or hurting others. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The point I was making was venting on a message board is fine, as there are people who do much worse. It may get annoying at times, but it is what it is. In the same manner, if you don't like people venting here this much you can simply not read their posts. Being sports fan angry and complaining on forums does not mean your life is in shambles or that you are wrong. Your movie example is not relevant here because a movie is a one time thing and not something people invest in since they are kids. Movies don't bring people together like sports. Penn State is different because that was sex crimes against children. The frustration directed at the FO last offseason probably means they will handle things differently this year. Fans have a voice and should always use it, as long as they aren't being rude or hurting others. 

Fair points all around, and I do ignore. And I take a week or two off here and there. The negativity and victimhood attitude grinds my gears.

I also understand the psychology of people being more compelled to talk about something they don't like/agree with than things they do. 

I have no problem if someone shits in one room of my house, but if they're shitting in all my rooms then we've got a problem. Every thread here about the offseason contains the same parroted negative nonsense over and over. We get it, move on.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Nobody thinks Gardner will get more than two years or one and an option.

Hahn would rather sign just about anyone than actually take the risk of losing his job by giving Ozuna $80-90 million and having it blow up in his face.

Until he spends over $68.5 million on ONE player, Hahn apologists will always argue he was financially handcuffed by JR.

Ozuna's the safest outfield bet.  Guy had a very unlucky season this year with a BABIP of .259.  He's in the 90% percentile + for hard hit%, xba, and exit velocity.  He also isn't a strikeout machine and has good plate discipline.  He's a perfect guy to target for a 5 year deal right around $90 mil.  

As for what the WSox should do this offseason:

RF: Ozuna, for what I posted above.  He has the best tools of any RF FA on the market and is 28 years old.  He should hit much closer to .300 next year based on his barrel rate and hard hit %.  

C - Resign James McCann and buy out Beef.  Sign Travis D'Arnaud or Yan Gomes on a 1 year deal or 1 yr + 1yr club option deal.  If can't get either of those two, run with McCann and Collins as the two main catchers next year, and possibly try to sign Austin Romine as the third catcher on the team.  I don't ever see Collins as anything more than a platoon guy hitting against righties.  He can't and I don't think he ever will be able to hit a lefty pitcher.  

SP:  Obviously need to entertain going after Cole.  But if he won't bite on a $200 million deal, then need to pick up Wheeler, who they should be able to get for maybe half that, and for close to 80% of the value.  I'd resign Nova to get some depth in the rotation, and then run with a staff of 1) Cole/Wheeler, 2) Gio, 3) Cease, 4) Reylo, 5) Nova with Kopech and Rodon eventually moving Nova to the bullpen.  

BP:  I'd entertain going after Will Smith or Will Harris, but not if either is going to be more than $8 mil/yr.  I'd also pursue Collin McHugh as a long reliever/spot starter, just because you can never have enough innings eaters.  I don't view the bullpen as a major priority, but if you can find some value cheap, they should jump on it.  

4 hours ago, ron883 said:

Ray Ray can be insufferable at times. If you criticize the team he acts like you spit in his mother's face

:lol: 

True (hence why jokes get thrown around about him secretly working in the FO), although this time his post was warranted. 

Edited by SoxAce

58 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Did anyone post the stuff from the Merkin Mailbag yet? 

The names on there were interesting, and not in a good way. 

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

???

Was it this?

Who might they target?

Rumors of J.D. Martinez and the White Sox have already started before Boston's designated hitter has even made a decision to opt-out. Nicholas Castellanos seemed to really enjoy his time in Chicago, and if he doesn’t stay on the North Side, he could move across town.

Corey Dickerson is a left-handed bat who would fit well in the outfield, as would Kole Calhoun, who has a $14 million club option with the Angels and a $1 million buyout. The White Sox had interest in Yasmani Grandal last offseason and could have multiyear interest this time around in a switch-hitter who can catch, play first and DH. Although he’s 32, Justin Smoak also could be in the picture.

As for pitchers, don’t look for the White Sox to pursue Gerrit Cole. However, RHP Zack Wheeler, LHP Alex Wood, LHP Cole Hamels and RHP Jake Odorizzi are interesting rotation names, while LHP Will Smith, RHP Will Harris and RHP Collin McHugh could hold bullpen interest. How about a reunion with RHP Daniel Hudson, who the White Sox originally drafted in the fifth round out of Old Dominion in 2008?

21 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That wasn't bad. He is just throwing names around we could be interested in. I think we may see a combination of good and meh players. Thise meh players will have key roles as well. 

Yeah, but what worries me is that Merkin is state propaganda so to speak. 

I was ok with the hitters on the list but they're aiming way too low on the pitchers. 

Yeah that was it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

40 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, but what worries me is that Merkin is state propaganda so to speak. 

I was ok with the hitters on the list but they're aiming way too low on the pitchers. 

Yeah that was it. 

You’re giving Merkin way too much credit, he only knows what the front office wants him to know.

14 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I want this.

JDM

Nick Castellanos

Grandal

2 pen arms.

That is about 120 plus million annual out lay.  I would like it a lot (still Gardner over Cast, yes I think his glove is a problem) but I know I am not getting everything I want.  My plan was trying to be realistic.

I keep seeing people saying it will be so hard for us to be competitive next year, but I see the path being right there with even a realistic offseason.  This is just one example of what we could do in free agency (my personal plan would be a little different) that should make us competitive in 2020:

• Wheeler - 5/$100M
  • Grandal - 3/$60M
  • Smith - 3/$36M
  • Dickerson - 1/$11M
  • Wood - 1$10M

This proposed roster would require no trades to fill holes (maintaining all minor league depth) and would have a total payroll of $130M excluding Rodon (which I think is a totally reasonable target for 2020).  Based on my quick & dirty fWAR projections, this team would theoretically win 95 games next year.  Yes, it requires some growth from our of young guys as well as Madrigal & Robert being useful right out of the gate, but I think their defense & speed will make them high floor players in their rookie seasons.

Anyway, feel free to flame away and tell me where I'm totally off-base!

2020 Roster.PNG

I’m still intrigued by Wacha, though his second half improvement largely coincided with the improvement in the cards D, but his control and velocity improved.

I think he’d be a nice Nova replacement but he’s a depth guy that I think could slide into bullpen as our injured pitchers return.