A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

26 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I get why people will overrate Lopez and Collins, but I say trade them while they have value...because I don’t think they’ll have much in 2 years 

I'm not sure either has a ton of value right now. Some value, sure, but eh...

If Lopez can be moved for a nice RFer that has a few years of control left , I'd be all for it.

Look to the Mets.....what about Mets send package of Cano and Nimmo and we sign Wheeler. Cano has 4 more years at $24/per against which Mariners pay $3.75/per. Cano solves for LH DH and can play a capable 2nd base until Madrigal arrives. Gotta believe Mets would pay down a portion of his salary (i.e. $5/yr.). So, we have Cano (assuming no trade clause can be worked out) for @$15/per through 2023. Nimmo in RF. No idea what we would have to part with but imagine it would be manageable.

• Haha 1

So regarding Cole and Strasburg. Rich Hahn has said over and over that the money will be spent. We have no reason to think that he isn't telling the truth, so...

If the Sox bring their payroll up to 130-150 mil through various trades and free agent acquisitions, and they're kind average for baseball salary-wise... that still leaves all that money they've been banking the last 3-4 years of the rebuild. You know, the money he promised 'that will be spent'.

Why can't they give Stras or Cole a huge signing bonus (from the pool of money that will be spent), thus lowering the AAV significantly, to a manageable price that they can afford going forward?

Or am I being naive in believing that this banked money will ever leave JR's bank account?

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Look to the Mets.....what about Mets send package of Cano and Nimmo and we sign Wheeler. Cano has 4 more years at $24/per against which Mariners pay $3.75/per. Cano solves for LH DH and can play a capable 2nd base until Madrigal arrives. Gotta believe Mets would pay down a portion of his salary (i.e. $5/yr.). So, we have Cano (assuming no trade clause can be worked out) for @$15/per through 2023. Nimmo in RF. No idea what we would have to part with but imagine it would be manageable.

Cano could be quite terrible for the remainder. If we took that in I’d want considerably more money back and I’d want to do it for conforto not Nimmo, who is nice but has way too many injury issues.

52 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I get why people will overrate Lopez and Collins, but I say trade them while they have value...because I don’t think they’ll have much in 2 years 

That’s a fair take.  But why trade them both plus our best pitching prospect and our second best OF prospect for two years of a 31 year old 3 win OF?

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d say pass.  Not a good fit for what we need and I think there’s diminishing returns having two CF types when you play 81 games at the Rate.

For the record I’d be a big fan of JBj in both trade or acquiring him as FA

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

For the record I’d be a big fan of JBj in both trade or acquiring him as FA

What do you like about him other than his defense?  A 90 wRC+ for three straight years and he doesn’t even address our high K rate or low OBP issues.  Just don’t see how he’d be that valuable in RF.

10 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Trade: Zack Collins, Reynaldo Lopez, Dane Dunning, and Steele Walker for Starling Marte and Kyle Crick

Sign: JDM, Wheeler, Gio Gonzalez , Jason Castro, and Chris Martin 

This is why we need a dislike emoji.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What do you like about him other than his defense?  A 90 wRC+ for three straight years and he doesn’t even address our high K rate or low OBP issues.  Just don’t see how he’d be that valuable in RF.

His defense isn't that great anymore either. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Assuming Sanchez is released...quite possible Madrigal signs an extension and starts his season with the Sox.

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

His defense isn't that great anymore either. 

That’s why RF would be good move for him. We aren’t talking about a long term fixture. Everyone here has a favorite average player they want as a fill in for RF this year. JBJ would be relatively cheap, has upside, he bats left, he walks 10% of the time and had a worse year for contact but I think his profile does show 90 wRC+ as a stable production with possibility of a nice year for better babip luck.

hes also a good vet, smart and would be nice to have as a mentor in the outfield.

for $10 mill for a year? I’ll take it while we make sure we get plus bats elsewhere.

id rather get two 130 wRC+ bats and a 90 wRC bat then three 110 wRC + bats.

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

That’s why RF would be good move for him. We aren’t talking about a long term fixture. Everyone here has a favorite average player they want as a fill in for RF this year. JBJ would be relatively cheap, has upside, he bats left, he walks 10% of the time and had a worse year for contact but I think his profile does show 90 wRC+ as a stable production with possibility of a nice year for better babip luck.

hes also a good vet, smart and would be nice to have as a mentor in the outfield.

for $10 mill for a year? I’ll take it while we make sure we get plus bats elsewhere.

Depending on who else we sign, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'm just saying we need to be careful because he is the type of player who can fall off a cliff at any moment offensively and defensively. 

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

You think we’re adding three bats this offseason?  I guess I’d ask where?

Alright, here's my preliminary off-season plan.  Five total moves consisting of four free agent signings and one trade.  Total payroll when accounting for Rodon (I assume he's retained) would be ~$135M or right around league average.  I personally think this is very realistic, just depends on what it would take to pry Nimmo away from the Mets.  That being said, the Mets are overly left-handed and have a ton of corner bats.  Given those factors and Nimmo's health issues, I think he can be had.

image.png

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright, here's my preliminary off-season plan.  Five total moves consisting of four free agent signings and one trade.  Total payroll when accounting for Rodon (I assume he's retained) would be ~$135M or right around league average.  I personally think this is very realistic, just depends on what it would take to pry Nimmo away from the Mets.  That being said, the Mets are overly left-handed and have a ton of corner bats.  Given those factors and Nimmo's health issues, I think he can be had.

image.png

I can’t imagine JR will okay that much for Will Smith.  

Don’t think the Mets aren’t going to be desperate to sell low on Nimmo unless they believe he will never stay healthy.

Can’t see paying Hamels that much either.   Rich Hill or Miley would be much cheaper...and it seems pretty likely Hamels would be likely to regress back in the AL again.

Not ready to count on Collins either...would rather add a veteran like a Smoak, Moreland or Adams for insurance.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I can’t imagine JR will okay that much for Will Smith.  

Don’t think the Mets aren’t going to be desperate to sell low on Nimmo unless they believe he will never stay healthy.

Can’t see paying Hamels that much either.   Rich Hill or Miley would be much cheaper...and it seems pretty likely Hamels would be likely to regress back in the AL again.

Why can’t you see JR paying that much for Smith?  What does that even mean?

As for Nimmo, the problem they face is their OF is jam-packed and left-handed.  They will likely have to trade somebody and I think you’re giving Brodie a little too much credit.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Say we do Grandal/JDM. Trade Collins (assuming Abreu is assured)

I don’t see us adding both Grandal & JDM in free agency, not when we’ll need to spend quite a bit on the pitching side of things.  I think it will end up being an either or thing with those two guys with RF then being addressed via trade or a stopgap free agent.

Sign Rendon and move Moncada to RF. Our outfield defense would be absolutely filthy with him and Robert out there. Our infield defense would be damn good once we have Madrigal up as well. I honestly feel we could have the combination of a deadly offense and defense that the 2016 Cubs team had. 

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see us adding both Grandal & JDM in free agency, not when we’ll need to spend quite a bit on the pitching side of things.  I think it will end up being an either or thing with those two guys with RF then being addressed via trade or a stopgap free agent.

Point is I’d rather fix the positions or fix the pitching. I don’t want ozuna type players in RF just because they are available. Give me real fixes or give me average players, don’t give me 10% above average players for next 4 years.

worst thing would be Sox getting shocked when their incredible market valuations are wrong on wheeler and then spending that amount on Odorizzi

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

image.png

Great job of putting your ideas in a clear and easy to understand format.  It will be telling how RH attacks the pitching.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Sarava said:

So regarding Cole and Strasburg. Rich Hahn has said over and over that the money will be spent. We have no reason to think that he isn't telling the truth, so...

Sure he'll spend. He spent $40 million last year....on Colome (Yea), Herrera, Nova, Jay,  and Alonso.

On other topics:

JBJ.  Full Season WAR:  1.4;  Adam Engel 1/2 season WAR:  .8

37 year old Cano and his .736 OPS, with a 4 year commitment?  (not to mention what the Sox will have to send to reduce that $96 million payroll liability).   What?

The Sox have scant little pitching. Stiever needs to be treated like the top prospect he is; not some trade fodder for average players.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Haha 1