A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I made an update to include that. FWIW I have 8 mill for pre-arb, 15.8 for existing salaries, 16 for Abreu and 25 million for tendered and that gives me 64.8.

You’re right, I couldn’t math.

$65M should be the most accurate starting salary.

Who’s holding the fort down at 2B if and when Yolmer is nontendered? There is an outside chance they could give him a short term deal or just roll with Mendick until Madrigal is ready.

One name I haven’t seen mentioned a lot but wouldn’t put it past the Sox to bring in is Kipnis. Lefty bat for the bottom third of the LU and also could play CF in a pinch (didn’t look great there however). He may be an interesting one year deal guy to look at so we don’t have to rush Madrigal and Robert.

9 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

You’re right, I couldn’t math.

$65M should be the most accurate starting salary.

I know the tool is finally working right when I am struggling to make a true super offseason and stay under $160 mill (which is already $40 mill over where I'd expect it)

7 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Who’s holding the fort down at 2B if and when Yolmer is nontendered? There is an outside chance they could give him a short term deal or just roll with Mendick until Madrigal is ready.

One name I haven’t seen mentioned a lot but wouldn’t put it past the Sox to bring in is Kipnis. Lefty bat for the bottom third of the LU and also could play CF in a pinch (didn’t look great there however). He may be an interesting one year deal guy to look at so we don’t have to rush Madrigal and Robert.

How are either one being "rushed?"

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I know the tool is finally working right when I am struggling to make a true super offseason and stay under $160 mill (which is already $40 mill over where I'd expect it)

According to one poster (PoppySox?) 160 was the floor. So you got plenty room to work with.

10 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Moustakas at 2b then shifting to DH is one possibility. The other is Leury, in-house.

Defense-wise, jose iglesias could be cheap.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

5 days after, correct. 

Agents have their homework done well before then. He isn't opting out blind. Again, things can change, teams priorities can shift, etc. 

But they'll have a good idea. 

Tony, What do you mean agents have their homework done? Agents can't talk to other teams before 5 days can they? Wouldn't that be tampering or am I mistaken? I'd love to see JDM here, by the way!

Edited by Saufley

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Moustakas at 2b then shifting to DH is one possibility. The other is Leury, in-house.

I had been floating the Moose idea for a while and wouldn’t mind that at all.

I also had Leury penciled as the OD CF till Robert is ready. He probably will be unless we go out and sign two OFs. What I’m hoping for is Engel, Palka, and Cordell names aren’t in the OD lineup.

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

Love this idea.  I've been on the Moose train for the past 2 offseasons, to be honest, kind of forgot about him in this year's conversation.  His OBP is what it is, but he is also a solid be to hit 60 XBH, LH bat, can play a couple of positions passably.  I'm in on him for sure.  

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

It is worth considering that our revenues have dropped substantially, in both ticket sales and probably advertising, since the White Sox were last in the top 10 in payroll. Shared revenue has gone up, but that's true for every team. 

But unlike other teams, the White Sox haven’t started spending their shared revenue yet.  Additionally, the new TV deal likely provides additional revenue as well.  I’ve run the figures before and I truly believe they could afford a ~$160M payroll without much change in their attendances.  The problem is with some of our younger guys hitting arbitration in 2021, we won’t likely jump straight to that ledge in 2020.  I’m still expecting a ~$135M payroll next year if they’re able to land their targets.

7 hours ago, poppysox said:

80 million additional still doesn't put us in the top third of MLB payrolls.  I'm not complaining...just saying the money should be there to accomplish what is needed.  Wheeler and Grandal are my primary wish list candidates.  Both fit exactly what we need for obvious reasons.

According to attached, Cardinals were 9th at $165 and Mariners were 10th at $152. So if we added $80( 100% increase)  we would be 10th or top third. But my gut is we end up at $120 (50% increase) which is 17th. 

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/mlb/salaries/2019/team/all/

3 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

a $153,670,000 payroll would have only been the 13th highest payroll in baseball last year. The fact that so many on here think that a plan like this is completely unrealistic just goes to show how low our expectations have become. It's quite sad.

As much as the logic of spending that much holds, I have a hard time seeing the Sox more than double their payroll.  While at this time last year, I was making the case as to why that number made sense, right now, I don't have faith that the Sox will get there.

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But unlike other teams, the White Sox haven’t started spending their shared revenue yet.  Additionally, the new TV deal likely provides additional revenue as well.  I’ve run the figures before and I truly believe they could afford a ~$160M payroll without much change in their attendances.  The problem is with some of our younger guys hitting arbitration in 2021, we won’t likely jump straight to that ledge in 2020.  I’m still expecting a ~$135M payroll next year if they’re able to land their targets.

They have some money coming off in 2021 that would offset all of the arb increases.

I would be fine with 140-150 since we were in the 90 millions in 2019.  I don't think adding 50 million of payroll in a year they should be competitive is crazy.  That should be minimum.  

52 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They have some money coming off in 2021 that would offset all of the arb increases.

I would be fine with 140-150 since we were in the 90 millions in 2019.  I don't think adding 50 million of payroll in a year they should be competitive is crazy.  That should be minimum.  

So what are you going to do if it's $110-$120? I don't know what it will be but I certainly can't rule out that they'll be in that range.

5 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

a $153,670,000 payroll would have only been the 13th highest payroll in baseball last year. The fact that so many on here think that a plan like this is completely unrealistic just goes to show how low our expectations have become. It's quite sad.

Am I the only one that remembers that the White Sox were top 13 in payroll (and even top 5) in relatively recent memory?  I don't know what the Sox are planning for this offseason but I also don't understand the widespread notion that it's absurd to expect them to ever have a top tier payroll.

28 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Am I the only one that remembers that the White Sox were top 13 in payroll (and even top 5) in relatively recent memory?  I don't know what the Sox are planning for this offseason but I also don't understand the widespread notion that it's absurd to expect them to ever have a top tier payroll.

Ever again...and 2021-24 are two quite distinct issues.

If we’re not in the Top 10-15 range at some point...kiss sustained success goodbye.  Kiss Moncada, Giolito and Robert extensions goodbye as well.

They’re probably thinking they won in 2005 at only $65+ million...why not again?

All they’re missing is those 6-8 perfect additions, just like 2004-05, the Red Sox in 2013 or Twins last year.

6 hours ago, KennyPowers said:

If this example is not in the ballpark of what the Sox are going to do in the off-season then why sign anybody at all?

Just bring back "The kids can play" slogan and call it a day.

"No Bunts! No Bunting!!"

I wouldn't be surprised if they went "The kids can play" route. We shall see.

27 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They’re probably thinking they won in 2005 at only $65+ million...why not again?

What prompts someone to type something so stupid?  The Sox were a top five payroll the three years immediately following 2005 and were top 10 well beyond than that.  Why didn’t they say this in 2006, 2007, 2008, etc?

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What prompts someone to type something so stupid?  The Sox were a top five payroll the three years immediately following 2005 and were top 10 well beyond than that.  Why didn’t they say this in 2006, 2007, 2008, etc?

George Costanza Effect.

Do the opposite of whatever their first impulse is...that choice will then naturally work out beautifully.

The paragon of infinite baseball wisdom, Adam Eaton, executed the philosophy to perfection this week.

Wheeler- 4 years 84

Ozuna- 3 years 50

Moustakas- 2 years 30

McHugh- 3 years 19

Roark- 1 year 9

That’s about a 135 million payroll and should be pretty easy to pull off in terms of realistic...wheeler being the only one that may be hard to reel in, Odorizzi would be a replacement for cheaper. 

Love the idea of Grandal and Wheeler as our 'expensive' additions. As a trade acquisition, wonder if Yankees would consider moving Mike Trauchman - .277/.361/.504 with 13 home runs and six stolen bases across 87 games and strong glove displayed at all 3 OF positions. Cheap and under team control for 5 yrs. Born in Palatine and attended Bradley. Hits from left side. Yankees have some roster moves to make and seek pitching (Lopez?). Also, Gregorius likely to be available. Could be LH DH with middle infield capability.