A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Is Nimmo really the "dream" or just a realistic upgrade?

He is a realistic upgrade. I am one that wants him. I don't think he'll cost much in terms of trade. I think he allows them to spend on guys like Wheeler, Grandal and/or Martinez. 

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t even know how to speculate on the price.  The rumor last offseason was Bummer, Fulmer, and a prospect like Laz Rivera.  Given he has one less year of control now, would something like Fry straight-up work?  Obviously he’s coming off a terrible year, but the strikeout stuff is still there and he’s got four years of control left (including two options).  We’d be selling low on Fry, but it’s something I could see definitely the Dodgers being interested in.

I would make a Fry for Pederson trade straight up but that would max out my offer and frankly I would be a little afraid it would come back to bite me in the butt.

3 hours ago, wsox05 said:

He is a realistic upgrade. I am one that wants him. I don't think he'll cost much in terms of trade. I think he allows them to spend on guys like Wheeler, Grandal and/or Martinez. 

A 26 year old guy who has accumulated 7 WAR in roughly 260 games (a 4 WAR/162 AVG) with three years (or 4?) of control left is certainly not going to be cheap. 

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

A 26 year old guy who has accumulated 7 WAR in roughly 260 games (a 4 WAR/162 AVG) with three years (or 4?) of control left is certainly not going to be cheap. 

Agreed.  His value has gone down a bit after this season, but he's not gonna be cheap to acquire.

1 minute ago, bschmaranz said:

Agreed.  His value has gone down a bit after this season, but he's not gonna be cheap to acquire.

Calhoun is available and doesn't cost anything but money.  I prefer Pederson but not at an overpay for a 1 year player.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Are we sure about this? Anaheim still has an option on him.

Yeah I think people are way too presumptuous they will decline. If they are making a run at Cole maybe they shed cost prior and just plan on Addel?

I think it’s better than a 50/50 chance Calhoun is a FA. And if he’s not, he’d cost nothing to acquire but a lottery ticket.

I think you could Nimmo for something like Rutherford + Steiver + backend top 30 guy. Obviously prefer not to trade Steiver, but gotta give to get.  

51 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I think people are way too presumptuous they will decline. If they are making a run at Cole maybe they shed cost prior and just plan on Addel?

Yeah rumor is they want to save money (spend on pitching), play Goodwin in RF until Adell is ready.

I did see they could pick up his option and deal him for whatever just to get something for him (he was also on a list of surprising players not moved at the trade deadline at the time).

Edited by soxfan2014

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah rumor is they want to save money (spend on pitching), play Goodwin in RF until Adell is ready.

I did see they could pick up his option and deal him for whatever just to get something for him (he was also on a list of surprising players not moved at the trade deadline at the time).

This is pretty much what I expect them to do, he's movable, they might have to put in a tiny bit of money for some teams but that's a movable option. Pick up the option, hold him through the winter meetings, make your run at Cole, and if you are in the position of needing to move payroll trade him then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I'm a fan of JDM but don't see the appeal for Sox. He seems redundant with Abreu and Jimenez. Get that he could mentor the youngsters but would prefer a LH bat for lineup balance and flexibility. 

Grandal fits us better as co-catcher and part of the DH rotation with McCann and Collins IMO.

3 hours ago, Flash said:

I'm a fan of JDM but don't see the appeal for Sox. He seems redundant with Abreu and Jimenez. Get that he could mentor the youngsters but would prefer a LH bat for lineup balance and flexibility. 

I'd rather have JDM, give Collins a year at 1B and let Abreu walk tbh. They should bring in someone as backup in case Collins sucks. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If he is non tendered I think JBJ is a really good option but only for a year with an option. Good fielder, 20 HR pop, good base runner.

He’s been a 10% below league average hitter for three straight years.  I don’t really see the allure with him for RF.  If nothing else materializes I’d be ok with it for one year, but not he’d be a better option than say Kalhoun in that regard.

6 hours ago, Flash said:

What? He has like a 985 OPS the last 2 years.  He would be a DH who gets on base 37% of the time and hits for big power, which we had none of in the DH spot last year.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s been a 10% below league average hitter for three straight years.  I don’t really see the allure with him for RF.  If nothing else materializes I’d be ok with it for one year, but not he’d be a better option than say Kalhoun in that regard.

I'm a big believer in defensive support for a young pitching staff. And although I'm usually against guys whose WAR is propped up by their defense he wouldn't be a huge mistake contractually like Jason Heyward  especially if non tendered even if that possibility seems unlikely since the BoSox are more likely looking to trade him.

4 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

What? He has like a 985 OPS the last 2 years.  He would be a DH who gets on base 37% of the time and hits for big power, which we had none of in the DH spot last year.

But the question is what to do with Abreu going forward if Vaughn rockets through the system or if Eloy doesn't get much better in LF while a minor league OF all of a sudden can replace Eloy in the OF. JDM more than likely has a shot at his last big contract which will require multiple years of commitment. Him at DH requires Abreu to play 1st base more, not less ,as most of us would like and keeps Eloy in LF. It also could block Vaughn if he does as many hope he can do. The only way JDM works is if Abreu signs for like 1 year at a time.

Also if you consider the AAV of Martinez it might hurt the chances of spending the money on pitching if we consider pitching to be the top priority and also limits upgrading other needs like BP ,C, OF and bench. Too many DH types means the bench would probably need to have 2 guys who can play IF and OF. He's also RH and that's not usually a problem when it comes to a great hitter but Abreu , Eloy and Vaughn are all also RH.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm a big believer in defensive support for a young pitching staff. And although I'm usually against guys whose WAR is propped up by their defense he wouldn't be a huge mistake contractually like Jason Heyward  especially if non tendered even if that possibility seems unlikely since the BoSox are more likely looking to trade him.

I just think there are diminishing returns playing a natural CF 81 games in RF at the Rate.  If we played at Comerica for example, I’d be much more willing to consider it.  Instead, give me the offense oriented guy, especially in today’s game.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just think there are diminishing returns playing a natural CF 81 games in RF at the Rate.  If we played at Comerica for example, I’d be much more willing to consider it.  Instead, give me the offense oriented guy, especially in today’s game.

The cardinals just made playoffs on backs of a huge defensive improvement. There’s also no guarantee that a player going into his age 33 season like Calhoun maintains his modestly above average offense.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But the question is what to do with Abreu going forward if Vaughn rockets through the system or if Eloy doesn't get much better in LF while a minor league OF all of a sudden can replace Eloy in the OF. JDM more than likely has a shot at his last big contract which will require multiple years of commitment. Him at DH requires Abreu to play 1st base more, not less ,as most of us would like and keeps Eloy in LF. It also could block Vaughn if he does as many hope he can do. The only way JDM works is if Abreu signs for like 1 year at a time.

Also if you consider the AAV of Martinez it might hurt the chances of spending the money on pitching if we consider pitching to be the top priority and also limits upgrading other needs like BP ,C, OF and bench. Too many DH types means the bench would probably need to have 2 guys who can play IF and OF. He's also RH and that's not usually a problem when it comes to a great hitter but Abreu , Eloy and Vaughn are all also RH.

Consider this...perhaps the White Sox view JDM as more than a DH and viable RF option. JDM played 41 games in the outfield this past season despite playing for a team with three average to well above average OF defenders. I’m not saying he’s a great option for RF but if he OPS close to 1.000 again, he will be their best available option for RF despite poor defensive metrics.