A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

The cardinals just made playoffs on backs of a huge defensive improvement. There’s also no guarantee that a player going into his age 33 season like Calhoun maintains his modestly above average offense.

Might as well just run Adolfo out there and see what happens...based on natural talent being enough to carry him alone.

We’ve added so many veterans in the last thirty year or so that we were 2-3 years too late on.   At least bet on potential...rather than retreads.

For every anomalous 2018 Nick Markakis season, there are about twenty more Sox ones like Darin Erstad or Rob Mackowiak.

My preference would be to trade for Pederson. I know he's a rental but that might work and can always try to extend him, invariably at a lower AAV than JDM. Also, go get Grandal. Engel or Leury as 4th OF. If Grandal can't be signed, someone like Gregorius would bring value (guessing $14M/2years + option).  Give Abreu qualifier (@$17M). At this point, focus on pitching.

46 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Might as well just run Adolfo out there and see what happens...based on natural talent being enough to carry him alone.

We’ve added so many veterans in the last thirty year or so that we were 2-3 years too late on.   At least bet on potential...rather than retreads.

For every anomalous 2018 Nick Markakis season, there are about twenty more Sox ones like Darin Erstad or Rob Mackowiak.

What?

42 minutes ago, Flash said:

My preference would be to trade for Pederson. I know he's a rental but that might work and can always try to extend him, invariably at a lower AAV than JDM. Also, go get Grandal. Engel or Leury as 4th OF. If Grandal can't be signed, someone like Gregorius would bring value (guessing $14M/2years + option).  Give Abreu qualifier (@$17M). At this point, focus on pitching.

Where in the world would Gregorious play?

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just think there are diminishing returns playing a natural CF 81 games in RF at the Rate.  If we played at Comerica for example, I’d be much more willing to consider it.  Instead, give me the offense oriented guy, especially in today’s game.

He's not my 1st choice and I wouldn't give up assets for him. I'd consider him if non tendered but only if there are other offensive upgrades and the pitching is still the 1st priority and the Sox aren't going to go above $125M payroll in 2020 thus giving them a chance at Springer or Betts in 2021 . It also gives one of the minor league OF's a chance to improve.

If the price of Nimmo proves too high or the Mets want to keep him, a non tendered Bradley isn't a terrible choice if you consider Eloy might become more of the Eloy we saw at AAA, , Robert, Madrigal, Grandal and Moose would substantially upgrade the offense we could carry a defense 1st RF who has a good arm, robs some HR's ,pops 20 HR's . runs the bases well and provides veteran leadership. He's also young enough that he might have a season like he did in 2016 but I know I am reaching on that one.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Consider this...perhaps the White Sox view JDM as more than a DH and viable RF option. JDM played 41 games in the outfield this past season despite playing for a team with three average to well above average OF defenders. I’m not saying he’s a great option for RF but if he OPS close to 1.000 again, he will be their best available option for RF despite poor defensive metrics.

That still doesn't negate all the other things I mentioned. There are other ways to upgrade the offense besides making the defense poorer and cluttering the roster with DH types thus limiting defensively versatility and relegating your bench to a couple super utility types while also not giving the young pitchers a shot at defensive support and tying up a huge chunk of payroll. It might also limit any roll Collins might have.

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Consider this...perhaps the White Sox view JDM as more than a DH and viable RF option. JDM played 41 games in the outfield this past season despite playing for a team with three average to well above average OF defenders. I’m not saying he’s a great option for RF but if he OPS close to 1.000 again, he will be their best available option for RF despite poor defensive metrics.

No. He  signed w Boston on the stipulation that he was not just a DH.  He is a poor but not terrible RF, maybe Eloy-like.  It would be doubtful any NL team would take him so it might come down to staying in in Boston at $21 Mil  or going to White Sox if they offer something like 3/75Mil. He may be too expensive for Toronto who most likely will show interest. 

1 hour ago, wsox05 said:

I really want Grandal. 

Grandal is high on my want list.  Two good and experienced catchers + Collins keep everyone fresh and solve the DH issue.  Also, the mentoring of two solid veterans for Collins shouldn't be ignored.

Would you guy be upset with a rotation of Giolito/Wheeler/Cease/Kopech/Lopez heading into the season? Then if you add a guy like Colin McHugh who can do both, that is good depth to start the season. Plus some depth signings that can be in AAA. 

They'll have Rodon coming back later in the season and Dunning will be returning from TJS as well early in the season. Plus Stiever should be starting in AA this coming season. 

25 minutes ago, wsox05 said:

Would you guy be upset with a rotation of Giolito/Wheeler/Cease/Kopech/Lopez heading into the season? Then if you add a guy like Colin McHugh who can do both, that is good depth to start the season. Plus some depth signings that can be in AAA. 

They'll have Rodon coming back later in the season and Dunning will be returning from TJS as well early in the season. Plus Stiever should be starting in AA this coming season. 

Not upset but I'd like to replace Lopez. He can work in the bullpen on a very good team. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Not upset but I'd like to replace Lopez. He can work in the bullpen on a very good team. 

Can't replace Lopez. He's shown enough that any year in the next 2 could be a break out year. He's been healthy and young starting pitching provides good value. That's why they had a rebuild.

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Can't replace Lopez. He's shown enough that any year in the next 2 could be a break out year. He's been healthy and young starting pitching provides good value. That's why they had a rebuild.

He probably doesn't have the stuff to be a full time consistent starter. Lots of guys like him can post high 4 ERAs but on a very good team you want a better 5. If we sign two pitchers he will still have a chance to prove himself early next year. I don't think Kopech starts until May or June.