A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

13 minutes ago, zisk said:

Cole Hamels, Avisail and either Edison Volquez or Alex Wood.

I think Hamels will be their top target and they're gonna sign a cheap veteran and hope to squeeze 100 innigs out of him.  Volquez, Felix or Gio fit the profile.  

I hope they avoid Alex Wood like the plague.

Edited by Harold's Leg Lift
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wsox05 said:

Would you guy be upset with a rotation of Giolito/Wheeler/Cease/Kopech/Lopez heading into the season? Then if you add a guy like Colin McHugh who can do both, that is good depth to start the season. Plus some depth signings that can be in AAA. 

They'll have Rodon coming back later in the season and Dunning will be returning from TJS as well early in the season. Plus Stiever should be starting in AA this coming season. 

Hahn has pretty much confirmed Kopech won’t be in the big leagues out of ST. 

23 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think Hamels will be their top target and they're gonna sign a cheap veteran and hope to squeeze 100 innigs out of him.  Volquez, Felix or Gio fit the profile.  

I hope they avoid Alex Wood like the plague.

Avoid Alex Wood like the plague but you’re pinning for the corpse of King Felix and Edinson Volquez? I can’t express my LOL enough. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Avoid Alex Wood like the plague but you’re pinning for the corpse of King Felix and Edinson Volquez? I can’t express my LOL enough. 

I thinks it's pining. It doesn't really matter which name you use. Just a rehab guy who knows how to pitch.

A large dose of HGH wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by zisk
add

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The name most definitely matters. 

Not right now it doesn't. I would hope our scouts know more than we do who has a better chance at a bounce back season. Of course

this is the White Sox we're talking about, so maybe not. If I could do one thing for this organization, I'd steal every scout the Rays have.

12 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But the question is what to do with Abreu going forward if Vaughn rockets through the system or if Eloy doesn't get much better in LF while a minor league OF all of a sudden can replace Eloy in the OF. JDM more than likely has a shot at his last big contract which will require multiple years of commitment. Him at DH requires Abreu to play 1st base more, not less ,as most of us would like and keeps Eloy in LF. It also could block Vaughn if he does as many hope he can do. The only way JDM works is if Abreu signs for like 1 year at a time.

Also if you consider the AAV of Martinez it might hurt the chances of spending the money on pitching if we consider pitching to be the top priority and also limits upgrading other needs like BP ,C, OF and bench. Too many DH types means the bench would probably need to have 2 guys who can play IF and OF. He's also RH and that's not usually a problem when it comes to a great hitter but Abreu , Eloy and Vaughn are all also RH.

Abreu shouldn't be getting more than a 2 year deal and we aren't seeing Vaughn next year.  Worst case scenario you have JDM, Vaughn, and Abreu trying to get ABs at the same time for a couple months in 2021.

The rest of this is all hypothetical what if stuff.  The Sox have a giant black hole at DH, JDM plugs that for 3-4 years.

Which is a better Free Agent off season, this or next? I don't see the Sox as serious playoff contenders until 2021. Winning record, Contention 2021. 

So which off season would be a better use of their money this one or the next one?

I'll hang up and listen for the answer.

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Your reading comprehension is sub par.

How did I misunderstand your comment, chief? You said you want to avoid Wood like the plague and suggested 2 guys in Volquez and Hernandez who are toast at this point. What am I misunderstanding? I assume you’ll say it’s what you think they’ll do versus what they should do. I sure hope they have their sights set higher than that. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Which is a better Free Agent off season, this or next? I don't see the Sox as serious playoff contenders until 2021. Winning record, Contention 2021. 

So which off season would be a better use of their money this one or the next one?

I'll hang up and listen for the answer.

Both ? Have to prepare for 2021 by filling holes this year. This year is pitching rich so that's where the money definitely has to go.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Both ? Have to prepare for 2021 by filling holes this year. This year is pitching rich so that's where the money definitely has to go.

The priority should be signing Rendon and moving Moncada to RF. The defense would be lethal. 

5 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Abreu shouldn't be getting more than a 2 year deal and we aren't seeing Vaughn next year.  Worst case scenario you have JDM, Vaughn, and Abreu trying to get ABs at the same time for a couple months in 2021.

The rest of this is all hypothetical what if stuff.  The Sox have a giant black hole at DH, JDM plugs that for 3-4 years.

You don't think the Sox are going to try to fill as many holes as they can being as economically as possible ? Only the starting pitching should get a decent amount of money thrown at it . You don't think left handed power bats might also be a top priority after starting pitching along with trying to build a better defensive team ?

The giant hole can be filled with more versatile players who also plug some holes who can rotate at DH. I'd be surprised if the Sox bought JDM.  Some of us are going to be disappointed. There's a lot more to look at than just sticking a bat at DH at play here.

I would make starting pitching a priority this offseason.  Its something both the Nationals and Astros have invested a lot of resources in and look where they are now.  If the White Sox are doing some bargain shopping I would be okay if that's in right field or DH as long as 1 or 2 quality starters have been acquired.

1 hour ago, Good Guys said:

I would make starting pitching a priority this offseason.  Its something both the Nationals and Astros have invested a lot of resources in and look where they are now.  If the White Sox are doing some bargain shopping I would be okay if that's in right field or DH as long as 1 or 2 quality starters have been acquired.

Not the Sox philosophy though, they like to develop their pitching, not sign high priced mega free agents. 

Teams with good starting pitching usually make the playoffs and teams with the best two or three starters often go to the world series.  The white sox scored 741 runs in 2005 and 868 in 2006.  Their offense was much better in 2006.  Starting pitching was the difference between winning the world series and finishing third in the division.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You don't think the Sox are going to try to fill as many holes as they can being as economically as possible ? Only the starting pitching should get a decent amount of money thrown at it . You don't think left handed power bats might also be a top priority after starting pitching along with trying to build a better defensive team ?

The giant hole can be filled with more versatile players who also plug some holes who can rotate at DH. I'd be surprised if the Sox bought JDM.  Some of us are going to be disappointed. There's a lot more to look at than just sticking a bat at DH at play here.

They have a payroll of 50 million after arbitration.  They aren't going to be playing with a 90 million dollar payroll like they did last year in a non competitive year.  

There are not any left handed power bats available in FA.  I think they are going to swing a trade for that in RF.  I am hoping Pederson since he will be relatively cheap with 1 year left before FA.  JDM is 2x better than any LH bat on the market.  What versatile player is out there that is going to give you 30+ HR, OPS 900+, and give you a 37%+ OBP?  Especially for a DH. He is a special hitter with a deal that would be finished in 3 or 4 years.  

They need at least 1 LH hitting starter this off season, but outside of Grandal who is out there?  We need a DH and RF positionally.

The rest of the money should be spent on pitching, but  nobody here thinks Cole is an option, thats only going to be around 30/year if they get a Wheeler and 5 man.  Where is all the money leftover going to? 

Edited by BackDoorBreach

4 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They have a payroll of 50 million after arbitration.  They aren't going to be playing with a 90 million dollar payroll like they did last year in a non competitive year.  

There are not any left handed power bats available in FA.  I think they are going to swing a trade for that in RF.  I am hoping Pederson since he will be relatively cheap with 1 year left before FA.  JDM is 2x better than any LH bat on the market.  What versatile player is out there that is going to give you 30+ HR, OPS 900+, and give you a 37%+ OBP?  Especially for a DH. He is a special hitter with a deal that would be finished in 3 or 4 years.  

They need at least 1 LH hitting starter this off season, but outside of Grandal who is out there?  We need a DH and RF positionally.

The rest of the money should be spent on pitching, but  nobody here thinks Cole is an option, thats only going to be around 30/year if they get a Wheeler and 5 man.  Where is all the money leftover going to? 

Cole is very much an option.  I suggested 6 or 7 years at 35 per year.  Just make your best offer without being cleaver and move on.  Most of the usual suspects have Luxury Tax issues where trying to fit 35 into the payroll is no easy thing.  After making my Cole offer I would go after Wheeler and start talking to the lesser names.  We are one of very few teams that in theory could acquire both.  Pitching wins championships.

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Cole is very much an option.  I suggested 6 or 7 years at 35 per year.  Just make your best offer without being cleaver and move on.  Most of the usual suspects have Luxury Tax issues where trying to fit 35 into the payroll is no easy thing.  After making my Cole offer I would go after Wheeler and start talking to the lesser names.  We are one of very few teams that in theory could acquire both.  Pitching wins championships.

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

When you say $50 after arbitration. roughly how many roster spots does that cover?  I agree they won't go $90 again but I don't think they go over $120. I  think your $30 for Wheeler( type) plus a 5th seems pretty accurate. 

One thing many posters don't seem to mention is a LH starter. It seems the better FA are RH but we need a quality LH in case Rodon has struggles.