A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

When you say $50 after arbitration. roughly how many roster spots does that cover?  I agree they won't go $90 again but I don't think they go over $120. I  think your $30 for Wheeler( type) plus a 5th seems pretty accurate. 

One thing many posters don't seem to mention is a LH starter. It seems the better FA are RH but we need a quality LH in case Rodon has struggles. 

If Bumgarner wasn't the chief of the fun police, I'd think he makes a lot of sense. I'd stay far away from Keuchel. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Bumgarner wasn't the chief of the fun police, I'd think he makes a lot of sense. I'd stay far away from Keuchel. 

Depending on what kind of contract he signs, I’d be thrilled with Keuchel if paired with Wheeler. 

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why? The last thing you want is a contact pitcher with the Sox shitty defense. 

Sox defense should be considerably better by May when Robert and Madrigal are there. Unless they put a terrible RF out there, which is why it’s important to fill that position wisely.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Shitty defense?  Outside of Abreu & Eloy, who is a shitty defender out of the guys expected to get significant playing time next year?

We have no idea who is playing RF, and although I thin pk TA is potentially a tremendous defensive SS, he isn’t there yet. 

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Shitty defense?  Outside of Abreu & Eloy, who is a shitty defender out of the guys expected to get significant playing time next year?

We all know Anderson grades out well below his potential, and Abreu contributes to it.

Collins.

RF is yet to be determined, but there aren’t many above average fielders on the market.

Just now, SoxAce said:

Add Abreu as well. We all know he's there until Vaughn is ready regardless. 

I said outside of Abreu & Eloy.  Hard to imagine we have a shitty defense strictly because our LF & 1B.  Yeah Anderson made a fuckton of errors this year, but I’m not prepared to assume that’s an every year thing just yet.

44 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox defense should be considerably better by May when Robert and Madrigal are there. Unless they put a terrible RF out there, which is why it’s important to fill that position wisely.

If Madrigal is better than Yolmer on defense it won't be by that much. He and Robert will help with the bat over the Engels, Yolmers, etc of the world.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I said outside of Abreu & Eloy.  Hard to imagine we have a shitty defense strictly because our LF & 1B.  Yeah Anderson made a fuckton of errors this year, but I’m not prepared to assume that’s an every year thing just yet.

His range numbers weren't that great either. It's why I don't worry with Moncada because regardless of his errors, he is very good in range factor not to mention it was his first year back in 3B since the Cuban days. I expect him to improve yearly (and posters like Ron stop trying to put him in RF).

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Palka should have never seen RF in a million years, you can't rule out that they have no clue how to evaluate OF defense. 

The season didn't matter. I think they were aware that Palka was horrendous in RF lol... They aren't that clueless.

• Like 1

I wonder what kind of deal we could get out of the Rockies if we took on some of their $ problems? I would love a chance at 1 of their cheap young pitchers and getting them away from Coors.

We trade for Daniel Murphy and Ian Desmond and they include Freeland/Marquez/Hoffman + some cash to cover some of Desmond. I don’t think we’d have to give up much and Murphy could actually be a useful part time left handed DH/1B for us. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do you expect Tim to be shitty next year?

I have no idea.I did expect him to be better than he was this year. The fact is, their defense was bad this year, and their upgrades so far are to their better defensive guys. I think Anderson can be elite defensively, but until he is, he’s not.  RF may be shitty again, we have no idea. You would think it would be an upgrade, but shitty might actually be an upgrade from what was out there in 2019. I give this front office no credit until they earn it. Many front offices, you could assume would address the problem in a big way. This one, not so much. I look at some of the supposedly available guys, and see a lot of average at best gloves if that. A lot of warts on the free agents.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I have no idea.I did expect him to be better than he was this year. The fact is, their defense was bad this year, and their upgrades so far are to their better defensive guys. I think Anderson can be elite defensively, but until he is, he’s not.  RF may be shitty again, we have no idea. You would think it would be an upgrade, but shitty might actually be an upgrade from what was out there in 2019. I give this front office no credit until they earn it. Many front offices, you could assume would address the problem in a big way. This one, not so much. I look at some of the supposedly available guys, and see a lot of average at best gloves if that. A lot of warts on the free agents.

Gotta solve RF by trade. Plenty of candidates ...Dahl, Tauschman, Happ, Nimmo, Frazier, JBJ, and personal fave, Pederson. Go get 'em Rick.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yah, it’s really just those two. I like Grandal a lot because we can get him time at first as well, and Jose to DH. Eloy is what he is, I am hopeful he can continue to improve and be passable. Rest of the defense should be at worst average. A RF that can play above average defense would be so enormous for this team. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I wonder what kind of deal we could get out of the Rockies if we took on some of their $ problems? I would love a chance at 1 of their cheap young pitchers and getting them away from Coors.

We trade for Daniel Murphy and Ian Desmond and they include Freeland/Marquez/Hoffman + some cash to cover some of Desmond. I don’t think we’d have to give up much and Murphy could actually be a useful part time left handed DH/1B for us. 

If we’re doing deals with the Rockies, I’d be much more interested in Dahl, Tapia and even Blackmon if Sox looking to deal for a contract. All would be good options, unfortunately only Tapia is above average defensively. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If we’re doing deals with the Rockies, I’d be much more interested in Dahl, Tapia and even Blackmon if Sox looking to deal for a contract. All would be good options, unfortunately only Tapia is above average defensively. 

Dahl and Blackmon are bad outside of Coors.

Tim Anderson has the ability to make some plays at SS that I'm sure even Omar Vizquel is impressed with but he also makes a lot of errors.  What if this doesn't improve?  He did lead the league in errors in 2019 and only played in 123 games. At what point would a change in position be considered?  I know the White Sox front office thought about moving TA to CF last year to give Manny Machado his choice of 3B or SS.  Instead of trying to find a RF in a down year for free agents at that position what if the Sox moved TA to CF or RF and signed someone like Didi Gregorius to play SS?  That seems like it could be a better option defensively and maybe also offensively than signing a player like Ozuna to me.  

Edited by Good Guys
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Good Guys said:

Tim Anderson has the ability to make some plays at SS that I'm sure even Omar Vizquel is impressed with but he also makes a lot of errors.  What if this doesn't improve?  He did lead the league in errors in 2019 and only played in 123 games. At what point would a change in position be considered?  I know the White Sox front office thought about moving TA to CF last year to give Manny Machado his choice of 3B or SS.  Instead of trying to find a RF in a down year for free agents at that position what if the Sox moved TA to CF or RF and signed someone like Didi Gregorius to play SS?  That seems like it could be a better option defensively and maybe also offensively than signing a player like Ozuna to me.  

That would have worked out perfectly had Bogaerts stayed on the market.

Gregorious...due to his age, well, you're moving a kid in the prime of his career for a veteran, but the other reason to do this would be to move Robert to RF and prevent some of the wear and tear he'd be taking playing CF.

Haven't seen how Gregorious rates defensively...this year, he's missed most of the year.  What were his ratings/rankings in 2017 and 2018.