A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Castellanos, Encarnacion, MadBum and Kuechel. If this was the free agent haul, would you be happy?

Honestly no.. I am not huge on MadBum or Castellanos as our 2 big "gets".  I am fine with Encarnacion and Kuechel as our 3 and 4 pieces though.  Sub either Wheeler for MadBum OR Grandal for Castellanos and I would be fine with it.

Edited by cjgalloway

20 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Castellanos, Encarnacion, MadBum and Kuechel. If this was the free agent haul, would you be happy?

Is Abreu in there too?  Man, the defense on that team would be awful.  I'd give that offseason a C+.  I'd rather see that than basically nothing, but that is nowhere near the route I think is best. 

I’ll add to the “would you be happy with...” posts.  Would  you be happy with an off-season consisting of:

Gerrit Cole

...and that’s it?  Assume re-signing Abreu too.  Wait for in-house options to arrive to fill RF and DH holes or reassess next offseason?  I think I would.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

5 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I’ll add to the “would you be happy with...” posts.  Would  you be happy with an off-season consisting of:

Gerrit Cole

...and that’s it?  Wait for in-house options to arrive to fill RF and DH holes or reassess next offseason?  I think I would.

But why? It’s not realistic. Sox have zero legitimate options in RF and DH to play everyday. They have to add at least those two. But would I be happy with say - Cole then say Nova, Encarnacion and Dickerson all one 1 year deals? Ya, sure. It’d be bizarre, but I could get behind it I guess. 

Edited by ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Gerrit Cole

...and that’s it?  Assume re-signing if Avery too.  Wait for in-house options to arrive to fill RF and DH holes or reassess next offseason?  I think I would.

Yes actually. April would be rough, but I’d be happier than with the above. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

But why? It’s not realistic. Sox have zero legitimate options in RF and DH to play everyday. They have to add at least those two. But would I be happy with say - Cole then say Nova, Encarnacion and Dickerson all one 1 year deals? Ya, sure. It’d be bizarre, but I could get behind it I guess. 

I agree. At the very least bring in someone cheap to fill those positions.

What's the point of bringing in the best player on the market if you're not at least taking a stab at filling your other 2 holes. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What's the point of bringing in the best player on the market if you're not at least taking a stab at filling your other 2 holes. 

I don’t get an I agree from you very often! Special day! 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The question wasn’t “is it realistic”, it was gauging how people would react to “incomplete” team of it received an elite upgrade.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

How about this lineup:

Robert - CF

Moncada - 3B

Grandal - C

Abreu - 1B

Eloy - LF

Moustakas - DH

Dickerson - RF

Anderson - SS

Madrigal - 2B

That’s fine if they’re going to sign another low risk veteran outfielder who can play all three positions...running the likes of Cordell, Skole, Delmonico, Engel and Palka out there must come to an end.

Edited by caulfield12

19 hours ago, Orlando said:

Hell yeah I would be happy. That would be far beyond anything Sox fans could reasonably hope for. Sprinkle in Kopech, Robert, Madrigal, plus perhaps a pen arm and we would be far better in 2020. Still does not address the catcher position long term though. I feel like the Sox will look to make a trade involving Stiever and Walker/Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez plus perhaps a lower level prospect. 

4 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Hell yeah I would be happy. That would be far beyond anything Sox fans could reasonably hope for. Sprinkle in Kopech, Robert, Madrigal, plus perhaps a pen arm and we would be far better in 2020. Still does not address the catcher position long term though. I feel like the Sox will look to make a trade involving Stiever and Walker/Adolfo/Rutherford/Gonzalez plus perhaps a lower level prospect. 

What could we expect to get for say,  Steiver, Rutherford and Laz Rivera?  (using your list)

• Thanks 1

Mainly just spitballing here, but if Abreu takes the QO as most expect, I wonder if Matt Carpenter might be an option for 1B, moving Abreu to DH where he belongs.  Carpenter is owned $39M over the next two years, so not cheap, and that would obviously complicate any deal.  But the Sox may be be able to get something appealing with him as I am sure Cards would love to dump the salary.  Would be a defensive upgrade at 1B over Abreu.  Bats left handed.  Elite OBP skills (career .372 OBP). 

Just one season removed from 5.0 fWAR season.  Was terrible last season (for him), but still put him .334 OBP (better than Abreu's .330).  Not campaigning for the move, and he is likely too expensive to make it work, but I haven't seen his name mentioned here at all, and he could potentially be a fit. 

Edited by ChiSox59

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Mainly just spitballing here, but if Abreu takes the QO as most expect, I wonder if Matt Carpenter might be an option for 1B, moving Abreu to DH where he belongs.  Carpenter is owned $39M over the next two years, so not cheap, and that would obviously complicate any deal.  But the Sox may be be able to get something appealing with him as I am sure Cards would love to dump the salary.  Would be a defensive upgrade at 1B over Abreu.  Bats left handed.  Elite OBP skills (career .372 OBP). 

Just one season removed from 5.0 fWAR season.  Was terrible last season (for him), but still put him .334 OBP (better than Abreu's .330).  Not campaigning for the move, and he is likely too expensive to make it work, but I haven't seen his name mentioned here at all, and he could potentially be a fit. 

I wouldn't want any 1B longer than a 1 year deal because Vaughn should be coming up.  Not sure what you would do with a guy like that in 2021 assuming he's declining.  I don't see the risk reward.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't hate this idea.... He also could play 2B until Madrigal comes up.  This was his primary position.

This is my plan. I am thinking BIG 

Trade Madrigal and parts to Boston for Benitendi/Price

Shift Moncada to 2nd

Sign Anthony Rendon for 3rd base 7/240 ish deal

Sign Wheeler to 5/120 deal

Sign Grandal to 3/60 deal with a 4th year option

Sign Abreu 1/18 qualifying

Lineup-

Cf Robert

2b Moncada

3B Rendon

LF Eloy

1B ABREU (2021 tbr by Vaughn)

C Grandal/Mcann/ Collins occasionally

DH Collins/Grandal/ Eloy occasionally

RF Benitendi

SS Anderson

Starters

Gio, Wheeler, Price, Cease, Kopech/Lopez

Rodon or Lopez is traded at deadline for Reliever and Utility bat

Sanchez, goins are gone and Leury is Utility to start season

No major bullpen upgrades, but sign highest upside lefty you can afford.

This team competes immediately and outside of probably losing Moncada has a 3-4 year BIG run.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I wouldn't want any 1B longer than a 1 year deal because Vaughn should be coming up.  Not sure what you would do with a guy like that in 2021 assuming he's declining.  I don't see the risk reward.

I get that.  But if Abreu takes the QO, he could be the guy that walks after 2020 and Carp can DH.  Plus Carpenter can play 3B and 2B, so its not like his only position is 1B.  Those positions are obviously taken too, but point is, he has quite a bit more flexibility.

Again, not in love with the fit, just an idea that I was thinking about.  

23 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This is my plan. I am thinking BIG 

Trade Madrigal and parts to Boston for Benitendi/Price

Shift Moncada to 2nd

Sign Anthony Rendon for 3rd base 7/240 ish deal

Sign Wheeler to 5/120 deal

Sign Grandal to 3/60 deal with a 4th year option

Sign Abreu 1/18 qualifying

Lineup-

Cf Robert

2b Moncada

3B Rendon

LF Eloy

1B ABREU (2021 tbr by Vaughn)

C Grandal/Mcann/ Collins occasionally

DH Collins/Grandal/ Eloy occasionally

RF Benitendi

SS Anderson

Starters

Gio, Wheeler, Price, Cease, Kopech/Lopez

Rodon or Lopez is traded at deadline for Reliever and Utility bat

Sanchez, goins are gone and Leury is Utility to start season

No major bullpen upgrades, but sign highest upside lefty you can afford.

This team competes immediately and outside of probably losing Moncada has a 3-4 year BIG run.

That would push our payroll near 200 million wouldnt it?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

That would push our payroll near 200 million wouldnt it?

Shoot, I forgot to clarify a few things: 

I overshot Wheeler a bit to ensure they get him. Let's adjust to 5/110  
Trade for Price would include cash to knock down his yearly contract. 36 million sounds realistic (and we may even need to add lopez or dunning +...so he would be $20 mil a year

Price 20 mil
Rendon 34 mil
Wheeler 22 mil
Grandal 20 mil
Abreu 18 mil (1 season only)
Benintendi 4.9 mil

New Salary - 119 mil this season
                        101 mil 2021
40 mil of assumed salary for roster
Losing Sanchez 6.9 mil 
Goins 900 K 

so about 160 mil for 2020 and 140 mil for 2021 (obviously will be adjusted with losses and additions)

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1