A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

MLB wonders why their game is losing popularity by the year. Even free agency is boring and frustrating to follow for fans. 

Ok, let's speed this whole process up.  Every free agent gets their day on a free agent draft.  Teams take turns and have 30 minutes to put together an offer.  Let's see Boras figure this one out....

And with the first negotiation on Nick Castellanos day...The Detroit Tigers offer 3 years at 45 million with a full no trade clause....Castellanos has turned down that offer...The Orioles are on the clock.

• Like 1

Wheeler- 20M

Castellanos- 16M

Encarnacion- 10M

Hudson- 6M

Add a 2-3 arms on minor league deals, maybe try to finagle a cheap backup defensive C depending on what they really feel about Collins’ defensive abilities.

Brings the final 26 man roster to around $128M total payroll. Wheeler and Castellanos are good pieces to add to the core while EE keeps a spot warm for Vaughn. Not going to win a World Series or anything close in 2020, but could compete for the division and be 1 step closer to adding 1 or 2 final pieces to finish off the roster in the following off season...depending on development of course 

25 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Wheeler- 20M

Castellanos- 16M

Encarnacion- 10M

Hudson- 6M

Add a 2-3 arms on minor league deals, maybe try to finagle a cheap backup defensive C depending on what they really feel about Collins’ defensive abilities.

Brings the final 26 man roster to around $128M total payroll. Wheeler and Castellanos are good pieces to add to the core while EE keeps a spot warm for Vaughn. Not going to win a World Series or anything close in 2020, but could compete for the division and be 1 step closer to adding 1 or 2 final pieces to finish off the roster in the following off season...depending on development of course 

Hudson will get more for one year coming out of 2019 than Herrera on a down/decline season in 2018...and he left the White Sox on the not so greatest of terms with Cooper.

Not to mention there are only three more legit relievers on the market:  Harris, Smith and Betances.

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hudson will get more for one year coming out of 2019 than Herrera on a down/decline season in 2018...and he left the White Sox on the not so greatest of terms with Cooper.

Not to mention there are only three more legit relievers on the market:  Harris, Smith and Betances.

I think Harris and Smith are out of price range/don’t make total sense. I’d be looking to simply stabilize the bullpen, it’s too volatile of a position for the Sox to spend big $ on the pen at the moment in my opinion. I’d wait until we are legit WS contenders. Basically make it so that the pen isn’t killing you.

Both mlbtraderumors and fangraphs have Hudson at 2/12...all I can go by

5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think Harris and Smith are out of price range/don’t make total sense. I’d be looking to simply stabilize the bullpen, it’s too volatile of a position for the Sox to spend big $ on the pen at the moment in my opinion. I’d wait until we are legit WS contenders. Basically make it so that the pen isn’t killing you.

Both mlbtraderumors and fangraphs have Hudson at 2/12...all I can go by

Age and two TJ surgeries are what depress his value.  But it only takes one competing team a better offer than KW made to Herrera.  Let’s just call it the Eovaldi/Kelly Effect after this past postseason.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you want a “realistic” offseason, MLB.com had article stating the Padres might after both Rendon & Strasburg.  While there is no way in hell that’s happening, it does make Reinsdorf look like a total joke when it comes to big name free agents.  It also highlights the idea that when impact guys like Rendon do become available, you should be willing to consider any and all options to make them fit.

How does a speculation offered by a reporter with no connection to the White Sox -- which you think is inaccurate -- make Reinsdorf "look like a joke?" 

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you want a “realistic” offseason, MLB.com had article stating the Padres might after both Rendon & Strasburg.  While there is no way in hell that’s happening, it does make Reinsdorf look like a total joke when it comes to big name free agents.  It also highlights the idea that when impact guys like Rendon do become available, you should be willing to consider any and all options to make them fit.

How does a reporter even write that?  Rendon?  Lol, what would he play 2B?

19 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

How does a speculation offered by a reporter with no connection to the White Sox -- which you think is inaccurate -- make Reinsdorf "look like a joke?" 

I think them seriously pursuing both guys is not realistic, but them being in the mix for even a single elite free agent this offseason after landing Machado and having two albatross contracts on their books speaks volumes of how they, another mid market club, operates vs us.  And that falls on our owner...do you disagree?

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think them seriously pursuing both guys is not realistic, but them being in the mix for even a single elite free agent this offseason after landing Machado and having two albatross contracts on their books speaks volumes of how they, another mid market club, operates vs us.  And that falls on our owner...do you disagree?

Well, if it's *true* that they're actually in the mix for another elite free agent then I agree.  But I wouldn't put too much stock in the wild speculation in the sports media at the moment.  Another report cited in this thread has the Sox getting Gerritt Cole, but I don't take that as a sign of Jerry's seriousness.  Who knows? 

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

Well, if it's *true* that they're actually in the mix for another elite free agent then I agree.  But I wouldn't put too much stock in the wild speculation in the sports media at the moment.  Another report cited in this thread has the Sox getting Gerritt Cole, but I don't take that as a sign of Jerry's seriousness.  Who knows? 

The Padres report was somewhat of a rumor, whereas the Cole to Sox item was pure speculation that the author put at a 1.6% chance of happening.  That being said, your point on the media right now is fair.  Just will be painful if the Padres of all fucking teams land someone like Strasburg and we settle for the next tier of free agents.

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Padres just hired WeWork’s former CEO to pull Strasburg out of a hat.

Machado 3B, Tatis SS, Rendon 2B, Hosmer 1B, K.Bryant LF/RF (because he went to Univ. of SD)

Rotation: Strasburg, Paddack, Gore, Garrett Richards, etc.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Padres report was somewhat of a rumor, whereas the Cole to Sox item was pure speculation that the author put at a 1.6% chance of happening.  That being said, your point on the media right now is fair.  Just will be painful if the Padres of all fucking teams land someone like Strasburg and we settle for the next tier of free agents.

That's for sure.  We have more payroll room than we know what to do with, and with the emergence of our core have no excuse not to go big with free agents.  We deserve nice things.  If we let teams like the Padres continue to scoop up elite talent while we cobble together scraps my rage will know no bounds. 

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

That's for sure.  We have more payroll room than we know what to do with, and with the emergence of our core have no excuse not to go big with free agents.  We deserve nice things.  If we let teams like the Padres continue to scoop up elite talent while we cobble together scraps my rage will know no bounds. 

Sox fans: Fuck you front office, FA sucked.

FO: Why are you mad? You all complained on Twitter about signing Abreu and Cole. We signed Abreu and Cole.

Sox fans: Yeah, Hamels. 

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

I unno, smart money would be on them signing the run down pitchers with small markets they think are great value.

I don't, all this talk about guys actually has me thinking they're dabbling in the big boy market in silence this year. I actually take this as a good thing.

Bruce is also a dope so almost everything he says turns out wrong which is exciting as well.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run