A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't think they can absorb another PR nightmare like last year.  And not signing any legitimate stars this year would be WORSE than whiffing on Machado.

I agree.  Not signing any stars would also mean going into the year with like a sub 75 million in payroll, which seems unlikely.

I think this offseason is going to go one of 2 ways: they're going to sign one of Cole/Strasburg and Grandal with piecemeal the remainder of the holes, Or they're going to bargain shop like the Twins did last year thinking it will work for them.

A bargain winter:

Keuchel, Wood for Rotation 

Dickerson/EE for DH

Trade for Mazara or Polanco for RF

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think this offseason is going to go one of 2 ways: they're going to sign one of Cole/Strasburg and Grandal with piecemeal the remainder of the holes, Or they're going to bargain shop like the Twins did last year thinking it will work for them.

A bargain winter:

Keuchel, Wood for Rotation 

Dickerson/EE for DH

Trade for Mazara or Polanco for RF

You’ve set your sights way too high.

Roark or Wood, not both

Puig or Gardner

EE

Will Harris or Betances (with a reclamation sign of Carl Edwards, Jr. or Chris Devenski)

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't, all this talk about guys actually has me thinking they're dabbling in the big boy market in silence this year. I actually take this as a good thing.

Bruce is also a dope so almost everything he says turns out wrong which is exciting as well.

I definitely think they’re going stealth mode after last offseason’s failures.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I definitely think they’re going stealth mode after last offseason’s failures.

It feels to me like Stone, Merkin, and now Levine have been told to go out of their way to temper expectations with the fans. I’ve counted numerous times where they have either stated it’s unlikely we will sign one of the big boys (Cole) or they have listed some lower tier options. 

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It feels to me like Stone, Merkin, and now Levine have been told to go out of their way to temper expectations with the fans. I’ve counted numerous times where they have either stated it’s unlikely we will sign one of the big boys (Cole) or they have listed some lower tier options. 

Which would be incredibly smart.  No reason to hype things up until you actually get shit done.  I remain skeptical they’ll make a legit run at the Cole or Strasburg given the years / Boras factor, but fuck would that be a tremendous surprise.  That being said, I’ll take stealth mode and be happy with Grandal and Wheeler being the big additons.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Which would be incredibly smart.  No reason to hype things up until you actually get shit done.  I remain skeptical they’ll make a legit run at the Cole or Strasburg given the years / Boras factor, but fuck would that be a tremendous surprise.  That being said, I’ll take stealth mode and be happy with Grandal and Wheeler being the big additons.

I don't want to hear the Sox linked to anyone big until the ink is dry. If they're in on the big guys, I want them to be the "Mystery Team" this winter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't want to hear the Sox linked to anyone big until the ink is dry. If they're in on the big guys, I want them to be the "Mystery Team" this winter. 

Being a mystery team won't matter if your offer is crap lol. Machado was gonna hold all the way out until he got 300. 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Agreed...no more negotiating through the media.  The #1 benefit we have is no one actually considers us a real threat to land the true impact guys.  Therefore, move in the shadows and pounce when the time is right.  You just might be able to catch one of these other teams off-guard and come out successful.  Again, I’m not optimistic they’ll pursue the elite guys, but that’s the approach I would take if I was going to make a run.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Being a mystery team won't matter if your offer is crap lol. Machado was gonna hold all the way out until he got 300. 

They no doubt botched it last year.  Let’s just hope they learned their lesson that with true stars they will wait it out until their price is reached.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They no doubt botched it last year.  Let’s just hope they learned their lesson that with true stars they will wait it out until their price is reached.

No need for games. If we want Strasburg for instance, offer him a big deal he'd actually sign. That is the only way to show the big boys you are serious. No need to waste their time offering 4 years and 60m. 

32 minutes ago, zisk said:

I'd be OK with Wheeler, Hamels and Avi.

Hamels addition is a win now move.

Signing him for one year is pointless...and 2-3 runs the risk he’s unable to deliver when you need him in 2021-22.

That means McCann and Collins both have to come through, or the offense is going to be short again...relying on two rookies, Anderson not regressing, and Avi actually staying healthy playing RF everyday.

They’d need at least one more hitter.   Undoubtedly, it would be someone like EE, Puig, Dickerson or Gardner at the bottom tier.