A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Hamels addition is a win now move.

Signing him for one year is pointless...and 2-3 runs the risk he’s unable to deliver when you need him in 2021-22.

That means McCann and Collins both have to come through, or the offense is going to be short again...relying on two rookies, Anderson not regressing, and Avi actually staying healthy playing RF everyday.

They’d need at least one more hitter.   Undoubtedly, it would be someone like EE, Puig, Dickerson or Gardner at the bottom tier.

Grandal solves lots of problems.

Nothing would improve this team as much as signing Gerrit Cole, but I'll do this assuming the Sox wont spend the cash needed for Cole or Strasburg:

* Sign Zack Wheeler (or Madbum as 2nd choice after Wheeler) - 5 years 100 mil

* Sign Didi Gregorius to play SS - 2 years 18 mil

* Move Tim Anderson to RF

* Sign Nick Castellanos to DH - 4 year - 65 mil

* Sign any backend risk/reward type of starter you can get for a one year prove-it deal. You mostly only need this guy until Kopech comes back. Rotation would be full with Wheeler, Giolito, Cease, Kopech and Lopez. And Dunning could be coming soon as well.

* Fill out pen with an arm or two

Obviously Tim would have to be ok with moving to RF. You'd have spring training to get him used to it. He has the arm and athleticism to excel out there, and it could allow Robert to cheat slightly towards LF to cover more ground for Eloy. It's a double win, because you get rid of the crazy amount of errors he makes at SS. Tim's WAR could go through the roof with this move, and he would probably be a far better solution in RF than any free agent the Sox could sign to play out there.

For DH - Castellanos might refuse to sign as a DH. Potentially trading for JDM could work just as well. I don't think the Sox would have to give up much of anything to get JDM, given Boston's need to move him and the likelihood they would have few suitors for him.

20 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Nothing would improve this team as much as signing Gerrit Cole, but I'll do this assuming the Sox wont spend the cash needed for Cole or Strasburg:

* Sign any backend risk/reward type of starter you can get for a one year prove-it deal. You mostly only need this guy until Kopech comes back. Rotation would be full with Wheeler, Giolito, Cease, Kopech and Lopez. And Dunning could be coming soon as well.

Obviously Tim would have to be ok with moving to RF. You'd have spring training to get him used to it. He has the arm and athleticism to excel out there, and it could allow Robert to cheat slightly towards LF to cover more ground for Eloy. It's a double win, because you get rid of the crazy amount of errors he makes at SS. Tim's WAR could go through the roof with this move, and he would probably be a far better solution in RF than any free agent the Sox could sign to play out there.

For DH - Castellanos might refuse to sign as a DH. Potentially trading for JDM could work just as well. I don't think the Sox would have to give up much of anything to get JDM, given Boston's need to move him and the likelihood they would have few suitors for him.

I don't hate this really but it's hard to imagine Tim just being fine with moving to RF.  He basically said Machado can fuck himself if he thought he was going to walk in and be the SS in 2019.

If we are playing MLB the Show here, why not move Yo to RF and give Rendon a fat bag?  

6 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't hate this really but it's hard to imagine Tim just being fine with moving to RF.  He basically said Machado can fuck himself if he thought he was going to walk in and be the SS in 2019.

If we are playing MLB the Show here, why not move Yo to RF and give Rendon a fat bag?  

Yeah Tim did say that. And the he went on to lead MLB in errors, despite missing almost 40 games. To me it should be an easy decision to move him. You can't keep allowing that many errors to come from your shortstop.

19 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I saw a quote the other day where Moncada told Renteria he can also play CF. I don’t think they would sign Rendon, considering he will want at least close to what they offered Machado, and that will eat into what would have been year 9 with Machado, which we were told if that money was committed for that season, they would be unable to afford a winning team. I also doubt they would now move Moncada again after one very successful season at 3B.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

I'd go strong after Didi but you don't get him for $9M/year. FG projects 2/$28M and MLB.com suggested 3/$42M. I do like your thinking.

Edited by Flash
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Yeah Tim did say that. And the he went on to lead MLB in errors, despite missing almost 40 games. To me it should be an easy decision to move him. You can't keep allowing that many errors to come from your shortstop.

I don't disagree with you at all.  I'm pretty sure they are going to keep him there though for better or for worse.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

Wonder how many of TAs errors were on throws that Abreu couldn't pick?

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Many were on ground balls. Many were on throws no one would get to. Blaming Abreu for TAs defense is pretty weak.

Tim had 26 total errors this season, 13 of which were fielding errors and 13 on throws Link

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I saw a quote the other day where Moncada told Renteria he can also play CF. I don’t think they would sign Rendon, considering he will want at least close to what they offered Machado, and that will eat into what would have been year 9 with Machado, which we were told if that money was committed for that season, they would be unable to afford a winning team. I also doubt they would now move Moncada again after one very successful season at 3B.

Moncada would at least solid in CF, and elite in RF. Signing Rendon and Wheeler would push the Sox into contention

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Moncada would at least solid in CF, and elite in RF. Signing Rendon and Wheeler would push the Sox into contention

How do you know that?  He has played zero OF in his life.  Maybe he'd be good like Whit Merrifield.  Maybe he'd be mediocre.  I just have a hard time believing that jerking around the team's best player is the solution to all of our problems.

I wouldn't mess with Moncada. 3rd is where he belongs. I believe this club would be much stronger with improved defense at SS. I see Didi as the answer. Try TA in CF or RF and if he sticks, bingo. If not, Didi can get plenty of ABs as IF support (inc. 1B) and DH. Alternatively, TA should have strong trade value coming off his 2019 and his team friendly contract. Not sure who needs a SS (Reds, Giants,?) but guessing he could bring serious pitching help.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

How do you know that?  He has played zero OF in his life.  Maybe he'd be good like Whit Merrifield.  Maybe he'd be mediocre.  I just have a hard time believing that jerking around the team's best player is the solution to all of our problems.

Look what DA said. Moncada told Ricky that he can play CF.

It isn't rocket science up there. You chase the ball and throw it back. Moncada has elite speed and a good arm. He would be great out there. 

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It isn't rocket science up there. You chase the ball and throw it back. Moncada has elite speed and a good arm. He would be great out there. 

And limp off the field after every diving play or play at the wall 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If I would move either it would be anderson, he just glides to fly balls and moncada has leg injuries keep him away from the outfield.

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

Lol. This guy who I’ve never seen play the OF and by all accounts has never played it in his life would be “elite”.

Quite a take. 

• Thanks 1