A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

Is there any SP that sets apart as a worthy signing if we miss out on Cole/Stras/Wheeler/Bum/Ryu? Do people feel comfortable paying an Odorizzi/Keuchel type? Or do we give up at that point lol? 

I guess if we sign 2 of Pineda/Wacha/Wood/Porcello but add offense I wouldn’t be too disappointed, but I don’t want to see us overspending on the 2nd tier of this free agent SP class out of desperation. 

27 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Is there any SP that sets apart as a worthy signing if we miss out on Cole/Stras/Wheeler/Bum/Ryu? Do people feel comfortable paying an Odorizzi/Keuchel type? Or do we give up at that point lol? 

I guess if we sign 2 of Pineda/Wacha/Wood/Porcello but add offense I wouldn’t be too disappointed, but I don’t want to see us overspending on the 2nd tier of this free agent SP class out of desperation. 

11-20   Ozuna, Castellanos, Hamels, Will Smith, Moose, Didi, Will Harris, Pomeranz (nobody has mentioned), D. Hudson, Betances

21-30   Abreu, Pineda, Roark, Gibson, Kendrick, Chirinos, d’Arnaud, Castro, Teheran, Puig

40 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If they can't land any of those guys I don't really want a multi-year deal for anyone else personally.  Bum is kind of hard for me to want as well.  

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’d be incredibly disappointed if our offseason was signing two of that second group.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Orlando said:

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20191109/adding-right-veteran-talent-critical-for-white-sox

Scott Gregor’s list. A lot of people crapped on guys like Gregor last year but they were all pretty spot on in the end.

Grandal, Kuechel, Moustakas, Wheeler and Calhoun.

Good list.  Kuechel & Moustakas aren't on my list but worth considering.

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d be incredibly disappointed if our offseason was signing two of that second group.

I would be incredibly disappointed if Keuchel is the best SP they landed this off-season. They need to not screw this winter up (again).

• Love 1

Love the peripherals but does anyone else have concerns about Wheeler as a TOR guy? I know about his injuries in the past and his velo and 3 pitch arsenal but he's been pretty ordinary when healthy. I'd imagine Mets would figure out a way to sign him if he was that valuable.

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

Love the peripherals but does anyone else have concerns about Wheeler as a TOR guy? I know about his injuries in the past and his velo and 3 pitch arsenal but he's been pretty ordinary when healthy. I'd imagine Mets would figure out a way to sign him if he was that valuable.

He was the 15th ranked pitcher by fWAR this past season.  If he’s ordinary, then there aren’t a lot of unique pitchers out there.

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

Well there's only 2 guys in free agency that really are TOR. So, if you can't sign Cole or Strasburg, Wheeler is probably the next best get. If the Sox signed Wheeler, I'd probably look at him as our #2 behind Giolito, until proven otherwise.

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

Well there's only 2 guys in free agency that really are TOR. So, if you can't sign Cole or Strasburg, Wheeler is probably the next best get. If the Sox signed Wheeler, I'd probably look at him as our #2 behind Giolito, until proven otherwise.

Again, there's going to be more competition for Wheeler than Cole or Strasburg. 

I'd be shocked if they landed Wheeler. I think he's everyone's #1 target actually. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again, there's going to be more competition for Wheeler than Cole or Strasburg. 

I'd be shocked if they landed Wheeler. I think he's everyone's #1 target actually. 

I've been saying for a while that Wheeler will be the most sought after free agent this winter. They're going to be competing with teams like the Yankees and Astros. The Sox need to bring a big offer early.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

?

Those are the pitchers between Tier 1A and third tier.

Hamels, Pomeranz...that’s basically it.   Roark, Pineda and Gibson are basically interchangeable...and you could just as easily argue for Hill, Wood, Wacha, Porcello or even Teheran.

Basically, you’re a serious/legit suitor on the top group or you’re just nibbling around the edges and picking over the scraps or leftovers.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Those are the pitchers between Tier 1A and third tier.

Hamels, Pomeranz...that’s basically it.   Roark, Pineda and Gibson are basically interchangeable...and you could just as easily argue for Hill, Wood, Wacha, Porcello or even Teheran.

Basically, you’re a serious/legit suitor on the top group or you’re just nibbling around the edges and picking over the scraps or leftovers.

If you miss the good free agent pitchers, you don't just settle for garbage. You go to plan B and explore the trade market.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20191109/adding-right-veteran-talent-critical-for-white-sox

Scott Gregor’s list. A lot of people crapped on guys like Gregor last year but they were all pretty spot on in the end.

That list is fine, but I'd replace Calhoun with a reliever. With the addition of Grandal and Moustakas, they could get by with almost anyone in RF, who could at least provide solid defence. As I stated in another thread, they don't need a good hitter at every spot in the lineup. I'd be ok with Leury, or even Engel, in RF, batting 9TH.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Swap out moustakas or Calhoun for castellanos and I'm game

44 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

$80 million in new money on the books for 2020?

I MIGHT be willing to believe that if there was an escalator clause in the new broadcasting rights deal doubling their per game charge to NBC if they could bring their ratings up to 2.5 or higher.   But that’s pretty far-fetched, to say the least.

One team ending up with five of the Top 15 free agents on the market...when there are so many teams 1-3 players away, compared to the 4-6 needed by the Sox?

50 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

I MIGHT be willing to believe that if there was an escalator clause in the new broadcasting rights deal doubling their per game charge to NBC if they could bring their ratings up to 2.5 or higher.   But that’s pretty far-fetched, to say the least.

One team ending up with five of the Top 15 free agents on the market...when there are so many teams 1-3 players away, compared to the 4-6 needed by the Sox?

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sox have money to spend but the million dollar question is will Jerry actually spend on top or next down tier. Shopping so much in bargain bins will be tough to break. I would say one of wheeler or keuchel and more filler starters would work. Probably could still use a pen arm but moustakas, Calhoun and castellanos aren't going to break the bank. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He was the 15th ranked pitcher by fWAR this past season.  If he’s ordinary, then there aren’t a lot of unique pitchers out there.

Yeah maybe so. I'm not sure how WAR is calculated but 11-8 w/3.96 ERA doesn't seem like 5yr./$100M. Cubs inked Hendricks for 4/$55 w/option and, I might be wrong but Hendricks has been the better pitcher, although not sure where FanGraphs ranks him. I know apples vs. oranges but someone ought to repeal the law of supply and demand 🤑