A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

23 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I know everyone is rightfully focused on improving the offense but I am really tired of seeing poor defensive baseball. Grandal would help in this area a lot, so would two new starting pitchers but hopefully the team’s defense is shored up too

Madrigal, Robert and Moncada having more experience at third will help, but it seems we’re doomed to experience problems with Anderson (unless Madrigal rubs off on him), Abreu (until moved to DH) and the corner outfield spots.   On a playoff contending team, we can only hope Anderson’s concentration and tendency to make unnecessary throws will be cut back.

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

$80 million in new money on the books for 2020?

I MIGHT be willing to believe that if there was an escalator clause in the new broadcasting rights deal doubling their per game charge to NBC if they could bring their ratings up to 2.5 or higher.   But that’s pretty far-fetched, to say the least.

One team ending up with five of the Top 15 free agents on the market...when there are so many teams 1-3 players away, compared to the 4-6 needed by the Sox?

Cole Kalhoun is nowhere close to a top 15 free agent.  He’s going to get like a 1/$8M deal from someone.  As for the other guys, the article wasn’t suggesting signing all of them.  I would bet large sums of money we don’t sign Wheeler & Keuchel.  Three top 20 free agents should most definitely be doable if we’re not signing any of the top three guys.

9 hours ago, Flash said:

Yeah maybe so. I'm not sure how WAR is calculated but 11-8 w/3.96 ERA doesn't seem like 5yr./$100M. Cubs inked Hendricks for 4/$55 w/option and, I might be wrong but Hendricks has been the better pitcher, although not sure where FanGraphs ranks him. I know apples vs. oranges but someone ought to repeal the law of supply and demand 🤑

Hendricks took a below market deal for whatever reason (for reference he got less than Eovaldi got a year ago despite much less of a track record).  Unfortunately he’s not a good comparison for what a quality starter on the free agent market is going to make.

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Cole Kalhoun is nowhere close to a top 15 free agent.  He’s going to get like a 1/$8M deal from someone.  As for the other guys, the article wasn’t suggesting signing all of them.  I would bet large sums of money we don’t sign Wheeler & Keuchel.  Three top 20 free agents should most definitely be doable if we’re not signing any of the top three guys.

10 hours ago,   aeichhor said:

Swap out moustakas or Calhoun for castellanos and I'm game

23 hours ago, Sarava said:

Personally I'd leave Moncada alone. He is blossoming in to an elite player - there's no need to mess with him. The idea of moving TA was just as much to get away from his errors at shortstop as it was to fill the hole in the Sox lineup.

Here's an admittedly controversial idea...sign Didi and trade TA to Miami for Sandy Alcantara (young All-Star RH SP) and JJ Bleday, RF of the future. 

45 minutes ago, Flash said:

Here's an admittedly controversial idea...sign Didi and trade TA to Miami for Sandy Alcantara (young All-Star RH SP) and JJ Bleday, RF of the future. 

Alcantara struck out less than 7 per 9 innings.  Regardless, don’t see why a rebuilding team is trading a 24 year starter with a year of major league experience under his belt plus the 4th overall pick for Tim Anderson.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alcantara struck out less than 7 per 9 innings.  Regardless, don’t see why a rebuilding team is trading a 24 year starter with a year of major league experience under his belt plus the 4th overall pick for Tim Anderson.

The Sox just should have taken Bleday. 

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That's who I wanted, since we have like 4 1B/DH types as it is.

I get it, but I don't think drafting for need is the way to go. None of our 1B/DH types are exactly world beaters. Vaughn is supposed to be a generational type hitter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Madrigal, Robert and Moncada having more experience at third will help, but it seems we’re doomed to experience problems with Anderson (unless Madrigal rubs off on him), Abreu (until moved to DH) and the corner outfield spots.   On a playoff contending team, we can only hope Anderson’s concentration and tendency to make unnecessary throws will be cut back.

Since the conversation was about defense, in what way does replacing Engel and Yolmer with Robert and Madrigal make a lick of difference?  CF defense might actually get slightly worse.

1 hour ago, RTC said:

Since the conversation was about defense, in what way does replacing Engel and Yolmer with Robert and Madrigal make a lick of difference?  CF defense might actually get slightly worse.

Well at least in CF Engel only started 65 games there, so plenty of room for improvement over Leury, Cordell, etc.

1 hour ago, RTC said:

I like Engel’s D, but he can’t throw and a lot of balls fall in front of him.  Leury is just okay out there.  From what I have seen, Robert will be better.  But, yeah, Yolmer is an elite defender at second.  Has been for a while.  Moving him to third was understandable, but destroyed his value.

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

I like Engel’s D, but he can’t throw and a lot of balls fall in front of him.  Leury is just okay out there.  From what I have seen, Robert will be better.  But, yeah, Yolmer is an elite defender at second.  Has been for a while.  Moving him to third was understandable, but destroyed his value.

I’m in no way complaining about Luis Robert, believe me.  But from what I’ve read and seen, his routes aren’t that great and he’s forced to use his athleticism to recover.  I just think there’s a possibility he won’t be as good in the field as we might hope.  At least not his first couple years.  Doesn’t diminish my excitement to watch him though.

Just now, Timmy U said:

Yolmer is Yolmer. Unless he is Carlos. Is he part of a winning Enterprise?

Abreu accepts QO - 1 yr 18 million.

Wheeler - 5 years 110 million

Grandal - 3 years 58 million

Encanacion - 1 year 12 million

Hill - 1 year 8 million (incentives to 12 mil)

Betances - 2 years 16 million

TRADE:  Reynaldo Lopez for Nomar Mazara

Sign another RP for 5 million

I think this is realistic and I'd actually like it, in its totality.  I think the most controversial will be the trade but I think that's about all you'd get for Lopez.  It would be a change of scenery trade for both.

Edited by cjgalloway
  • Haha 1