A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

18 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Abreu accepts QO - 1 yr 18 million.

Wheeler - 5 years 110 million

Grandal - 3 years 58 million

Encanacion - 1 year 12 million

Hill - 1 year 8 million (incentives to 12 mil)

Betances - 2 years 16 million

TRADE:  Reynaldo Lopez for Nomar Mazara

Sign another RP for 5 million

I think this is realistic and I'd actually like it, in its totality.  I think the most controversial will be the trade but I think that's about all you'd get for Lopez.  It would be a change of scenery trade for both.

Wheeler is going to get paid, but I am not sure if he will get a guaranteed fifth season from teams given his past injury history. A four year deal would be ideal.

Mazara for Lopez would be a poor trade for the White Sox, as Lopez has four years of control remaining to just two for Mazara. Also Mazara has been flirting with replacement level production, I do not see the fit. 

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Wheeler is going to get paid, but I am not sure if he will get a guaranteed fifth season from teams given his past injury history. A four year deal would be ideal.

Mazara for Lopez would be a poor trade for the White Sox, as Lopez has four years of control remaining to just two for Mazara. Also Mazara has been flirting with replacement level production, I do not see the fit. 

He should have enough interest to where a team needs to add an extra year to sign him though.

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I personally wouldn't make the trade due to his higher potential but I don't doubt the Sox would since we need a LH RF, and they've had interest in Mazara in the past.  Does Lopez have much more value though?  4.63 FIP and 5.04 FIP his two years with us.  I guess I'm not thinking he has a ton of value.

3 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I personally wouldn't make the trade due to his higher potential but I don't doubt the Sox would since we need a LH RF, and they've had interest in Mazara in the past.  Does Lopez have much more value though?  4.63 FIP and 5.04 FIP his two years with us.  I guess I'm not thinking he has a ton of value.

As stated in the other thread where you suggested a Lopez-Mazara trade:

Reynaldo produced more fWAR in 2019 than Mazara has in his entire career.  Plus, Lopez has 2 additional years of control compared to Mazara.  These two are no where near similar in values.

FWIW, Reynaldo was 14th in fWAR in the AL in 2019, and 19th in 2018 (for pitchers). Guys like Reynaldo have a fair deal of value - sure he is frustrating to watch as a fan because he's wildly inconsistent and seemingly has a lot of untapped potential.  But to suggest Reynaldo has no value and is basically a change of scenery candidate is a really ill-informed take. 

The Rangers would accept that trade so fast before Hahn sobered up from his bender.   

8 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

As stated in the other thread where you suggested a Lopez-Mazara trade:

Reynaldo produced more fWAR in 2019 than Mazara has in his entire career.  Plus, Lopez has 2 additional years of control compared to Mazara.  These two are no where near similar in values.

FWIW, Reynaldo was 14th in fWAR in the AL in 2019, and 19th in 2018 (for pitchers). Guys like Reynaldo have a fair deal of value - sure he is frustrating to watch as a fan because he's wildly inconsistent and seemingly has a lot of untapped potential.  But to suggest Reynaldo has no value and is basically a change of scenery candidate is a really ill-informed take. 

The Rangers would accept that trade so fast before Hahn sobered up from his bender.   

Bingo^

Sox would be foolish to punt four years of control on a young arm for two years of Mazara, who just is not that great. 

Lopez has more value than Sox fans might perceive, and he still has the potential to get better. Pitching can take time to figure things out, but when it all clicks you can see a huge turnaround. Look at 2018 vs. 2019 Giolito and tell me why Lopez should be sold off for pennies on the dollar? 

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

Bingo^

Sox would be foolish to punt four years of control on a young arm for two years of Mazara, who just is not that great. 

Lopez has more value than Sox fans might perceive, and he still has the potential to get better. Pitching can take time to figure things out, but when it all clicks you can see a huge turnaround. Look at 2018 vs. 2019 Giolito and tell me why Lopez should be sold off for pennies on the dollar? 

If they're going to trade Lopez for a RF, they should target Nimmo, not Mazara. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Neither would I. Their values aren't particularly close. Mazara has a career 1.7 WAR. He has never even put up a 1.0 WAR in a season. They can have Carson Fulmer, if that. 

Mazara just does not move the needle the next two seasons enough to be worth trading for. Potential still is there, but we need to be adding higher quality players than him moving forward. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Mazara just does not move the needle the next two seasons enough to be worth trading for. Potential still is there, but we need to be adding higher quality players than him moving forward. 

I'd take him if they were basically giving him away. Lopez is way too much. I think Lopez gets mentioned because a writer suggested it when it was first rumored Mazara was available. But that would really be a curious trade.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'd take him if they were basically giving him away. Lopez is way too much. I think Lopez gets mentioned because a writer suggested it when it was first rumored Mazara was available. But that would really be a curious trade.

Meh. Mazara is essentially the same player at age 24 that he was as a rookie at age 21. 

Mazara is arguably worse than Avi Garcia...let that sink in. Why would we bother with him? 

10 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Meh. Mazara is essentially the same player at age 24 that he was as a rookie at age 21. 

Mazara is arguably worse than Avi Garcia...let that sink in. Why would we bother with him? 

The ONLY reason to bet on Mazara is because there really aren't m(any) great options, he'll be financially cheap, most likely cheap to acquire and there still is some upside there.  He's probably between like 8-10 on my somewhat realistic RF list, but I'd prefer they roll the dice on him as opposed to having Leury Garcia/other internal options be the everyday RF.  And I like Leury, but it will be nice to have Leury be the supersub/2 week injury replacement he should be and not an everyday regular.  

If you could get Mazara in late February for say Fulmer + org fill in, if a bunch of other RF options didn't work out, I'd probably do it.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, GradMc said:

Cubs out of their minds to even consider trading Contreras.

White Sox equally as foolish if they don't at least look into acquiring him.

For who, though?   Madrigal and Hoerner replicate each other....and they don’t need Vaughn w/ Rizzo.   I suppose someone could make an argument about moving Baez off SS next year, but catchers near 30 always have a risk in terms of becoming 1B/DH.

For example, Sal Perez’s value not catching is pretty negligible.

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

FWIW, Reynaldo was 14th in fWAR in the AL in 2019, and 19th in 2018 (for pitchers).   

This made me triple take.

The White Sox apparently had more *qualified* pitchers in the top 16 in the AL in fWAR than anyone...

Edited by mqr

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

This made me triple take.

The White Sox apparently had more pitchers in the top 16 in the AL in fWAR than anyone...

Yah, it is kind of wild.  But also goes to show you that taking the ball every 5th day and going out there and just giving 180 IP of 5.0 FIP stuff throughout the year is still very valuable.  Plus, when you're a guy like Reynaldo that flashes TOR stuff, the value is there.  If the Sox were actively looking to move Reynaldo (they aren't), pretty much every club would be interested.  

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

Something to consider for an outfielder. 

He has a lot of power, and I don't want to act like I'm poo-poo'ing a 127 wRC+ player, but the sox really need some diversity in their bats. Another high K, low walk guy is not the most ideal fit.

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

He has a lot of power, and I don't want to act like I'm poo-poo'ing a 127 wRC+ player, but the sox really need some diversity in their bats. Another high K, low walk guy is not the most ideal fit.

We have seen so many high K%, low BB%, with power guys come and go from Chicago. I'd like to add players that get on base, even if they sacrifice some power. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

We have seen so many high K%, low BB%, with power guys come and go from Chicago. I'd like to add players that get on base, even if they sacrifice some power. 

I think one of the Cubs' problems is they strike out too much. The strike out is just another out is something that has gone away recently. BABIP won't be .000 on those ABs you don't k, but it is .000 on a k. I think Houston and Washington were two of the lower k rate teams in baseball. You have to have a lot of talent to overcome a high team k rate.

36 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

A guy at the Athletic who apparently gets a lot of signings correct over the years, thinks thinks the Sox are going to sign Puig for 3/$30 million. Just speculation right now. 

Caulfield might have to move back. Is there a tariff?

I wouldn't hate it at all if he's our 3rd or 4th signing.. White Sox have always loved Puig