A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think one of the Cubs' problems is they strike out too much. The strike out is just another out is something that has gone away recently. BABIP won't be .000 on those ABs you don't k, but it is .000 on a k. I think Houston and Washington were two of the lower k rate teams in baseball. You have to have a lot of talent to overcome a high team k rate.

And recall that the astros were one of the highest K teams in 2016 or 2015, whenever their first playoff team was. After 2016 they shed a lot of their worst offenders and brought in more well-rounded bats (though still as quality). Here you saw them ditch jason castro and colby rasmus and replace them with beltran, mccann and reddick. Then brantley comes the next offseason.

Vaughn and madrigal's approach will be welcomed, and I feel pretty confident that Jimenez will be eventually much more in line with his AAA balance. But Robert, TA, and Moncada will be high K guys and still be productive.

Honestly I owe @caulfield12 as I focus on adding pitching this offseason reddick actually seems like that productive placeholder. I am just terrified he craters or gets injured the first week like our tour of 30+ outfield additions like austin jackson, jay, etc.

I think my method of operations on free agency this year would be to aggressively approach pitchers but sit back and let value come to me with fielders.

Those Puig numbers aren't horrible.  Maybe being around fellow countryman will inspire him to be his best or at least shame him into not being his worst.  Giving him three years is a little concerning with his lack of dedication.  Still, those three years are ages 28-30 where he should be his best.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I think my method of operations on free agency this year would be to aggressively approach pitchers but sit back and let value come to me with fielders.

Those Puig numbers aren't horrible.  Maybe being around fellow countryman will inspire him to be his best or at least shame him into not being his worst.  Giving him three years is a little concerning with his lack of dedication.  Still, those three years are ages 28-30 where he should be his best.

1/$10M on Puig and I could shrug and get behind it.  3/$30M is crazy.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I agree. Not sure I can justify going multi year on Puig. There may be interest for him to take a one year prove it deal and hit the market again next year?

On 11/8/2019 at 7:58 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Which would be incredibly smart.  No reason to hype things up until you actually get shit done.  I remain skeptical they’ll make a legit run at the Cole or Strasburg given the years / Boras factor, but fuck would that be a tremendous surprise.  That being said, I’ll take stealth mode and be happy with Grandal and Wheeler being the big additons.

Bingo!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Just saw that. What a load of crap. 

Sox are not going to be in on Rendon/Cole/Stras beyond an initial phone call that goes like "...you're talking US dollars right? Thanks very much, we'll be in touch" *click* 

LOL at Yolmer trade value

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Meh.  I’ve been following Steve Stone pretty closely on Twitter lately, as he’s seemed eager to sort of signal the Sox’ intent this offseason.  

He’s been pretty adamant that the better-than-average defensively at third base Moncada is not going to be returned to second to once again become the below-average defensive second baseman Moncada.  

I would intend to agree with and believe that view.  

30 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What’s your view on Puig if playing on a team where Jose Abreu is the clubhouse leader?  Any chance his potential could be optimized playing in this what seems to be a very Latin-friendly environment on the team?  Just trying to think of any valid reason one might be inclined to go over one year with this guy.  

1 minute ago, Thad Bosley said:

What’s your view on Puig if playing on a team where Jose Abreu is the clubhouse leader?  Any chance his potential could be optimized playing in this what seems to be a very Latin-friendly environment on the team?  Just trying to think of any valid reason one might be inclined to go over one year with this guy.  

It would be irresponsible to go multi year on Puig. He just has not been good enough lately to deserve that sort of a deal. 

11 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I don’t think that has any impact whatsoever on years and dollars Sox would be willing to go. I also think Puig is like Plan H at best for the Sox. 

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Rendon would be incredibly ambitious because you'd have to change your best players position again and probably end up dealing Madrigal.

Unless they put Moncada in CF/RF...which is highly unlikely.

I just can't imagine having to move two future studs around (that are cost-controlled) in order to accommodate what will likely be one of the biggest contracts in professional sports.