A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

Hamels and Calhoun should be the fourth and fifth players...not the feature pairing.

But yeah, there goes around more than half of the budget increase right there.  We collect the other teams’ rejects, in two guys that weren’t extended qualifying offers.

Neato.

Hamels is a pretty decent candidate to go all Derek Holland in the AL Live Ball Era.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

I heard Dallas Kuechel on mlb radio this morning.  He said that last year non-contending teams did offer him a multi year deal.  Curious to know does anyone know if the sox were one of those teams?

He must be dumb as a doorknob.

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Which of these offseasons would you guys rather have:

Option 1:  Cole, Hamels, Encarnacion, Calhoun, Will Smith

Option 2: Wheeler, Hamels, Grandal, Castellanos, Will Smith

Both would require us spending vast amounts of money. 

Cole would certainly be splashy and sexy, but I think our team would be better overall with option 2. 

ZERO chance either happens

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Which of these offseasons would you guys rather have:

Option 1:  Cole, Hamels, Encarnacion, Calhoun, Will Smith

Option 2: Wheeler, Hamels, Grandal, Castellanos, Will Smith

Both would be home runs, but at least with #2 it seems "somewhat" realistic.  Replace Hamels with say Alex Wood and Will Smith with say Chris Martin, and maybe you have something that could actually happen.  2020 payroll would be in the $130M range in that scenario.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Both would be home runs, but at least with #2 it seems "somewhat" realistic.  Replace Hamels with say Alex Wood and Will Smith with say Chris Martin, and maybe you have something that could actually happen.  2020 payroll would be in the $130M range in that scenario.  

Pretty much any scenario that involves Grandal and Wheeler/Ryu (or better) is going to get an A++ from me. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty much any scenario that involves Grandal and Wheeler/Ryu (or better) is going to get an A++ from me. 

Oh hell yeah

Either option would thrill the fanbase majorly. #2 is a little more realistic, but I can't see them handing out four multi year contracts this offseason? Smith might take the QO?

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Agreed.  I think the most realistic scenario where I would still be pleased would be something like Wheeler, Grandal, Calhoun, 5th starter, bullpen piece.

Yep, and seems doable.  Just need to win the Grandal bidding.  

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Agreed.  I think the most realistic scenario where I would still be pleased would be something like Wheeler, Grandal, Calhoun, 5th starter, bullpen piece.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yep, and seems doable.  Just need to win the Grandal bidding.  

That would have me pleased as well.

There are plenty of backend starters that are available: Roark, Hamels, Teheran, Gibson, Pineda, Nova, Gonzalez, Porcello, Wood, Miley, etc. that could fit the bill. 

Calhoun is not flashy, but makes sense on a one year deal. 

Encarnacion could make sense on a one year deal. Far better than any in house DH options, and Collins cannot be trusted at this stage.

14 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That would have me pleased as well.

There are plenty of backend starters that are available: Roark, Hamels, Teheran, Gibson, Pineda, Nova, Gonzalez, Porcello, Wood, Miley, etc. that could fit the bill. 

Calhoun is not flashy, but makes sense on a one year deal. 

Encarnacion could make sense on a one year deal. Far better than any in house DH options, and Collins cannot be trusted at this stage.

I'd advocate for Pineda if he wasn't suspended for the first 1.5 months of the season. I've always been a fan.  It defeats the purpose of being a fill-in for Kopech. 

I want them to sign Alex Wood for the end of the rotation starter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

2 for me, as it adds three core pieces for the next 3 years.

I like having the additional flexibility next offseason and I think that Cole is the smartest move you can make based on what we've seen in the playoffs and the trades we've seen in recent years.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I like having the additional flexibility next offseason and I think that Cole is the smartest move you can make based on what we've seen in the playoffs and the trades we've seen in recent years.

Even when he’s throwing 94 mph fastballs with a cutter for his newest pitch under Cooper? 

Just now, fathom said:

Even when he’s throwing 94 mph fastballs with a cutter for his newest pitch under Cooper? 

If you're going to say that then you're also arguing Wheeler would be bad as his fastball has been his best pitch (and is comparable in velocity to Cole too).

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Giolito lived up in the zone with his four seamer - as did Reylo. The Sox certainly are not sinker driven, lesser velocity, believers. That plan seemed to he individualized for Sale, and rightfully so as his arm hasnt held up since his full on drive towards maximizing velocity in boston.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1