A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

So according to Hahn

We will move Moncada if Rendon is an option.

We will sign 2 starting pitchers and deal with any access rotation problems down the line. 

We will try to be good next year, we want to tell you we will be good, but we want to make sure we sign good players first.

We understand people want action and not just talking. 

We will acquire 1 year stop gaps like JDM, Hamels, etc. 

“We picture Melky playing 130-140 games for us in RF this year.  He knows the ballpark, the fanbase and the general attitude we expect on a daily basis.  His veteran presence and leadership are contributions you can’t necessarily pencil into a box score, but the contributions to wins will be there.  And maybe you can’t pencil him in for 100 rbis or 100 runs, but we plan on pencilling him in for 130+ games.”

Edited by Jerksticks

15 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Stiever is a prospect I certainly can see us dangling and dealing this offseason for help

100% agree.  

The plan should be to sign Wheeler (or theoretically Cole/Strasburg) to a multi-year deal and then add another cheaper starter on a one year deal like Wood or Gonzalez.  That gives you an opening day rotation of Giolito, Wheeler, Cease, Wood, & Lopez.  Kopech comes up after he recovers that lost year of service time and replaces the weak man in the rotation.  Rodon serves as a wild card this year and is used in the bullpen if necessary.  Come 2021 him, Lopez, Dunning, & Lambert compete for the 5th starter spot.  That makes Stiever very much expendable IMO and I think he goes in a trade for a RF this offseason.

7 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Ok,12m? Doesn’t change the point. 

I mean, MLBTR has him getting $6M and Fangraphs didn’t rank him amongst the top 50 free agents.  Gun to head, I’d put him at like $7M and that extra $8M is substantial enough for a decent back of the rotation starter or bullpen piece.  

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

“Short-term suffering”?  

Have they forgotten the four miserable years preceding the rebuild, AND the fact George W. Bush was still in office the last time this team made the playoffs?  

They’re going to need better thought out go-to lines than this type of gobbledegook if they want to re-establish credibility with the fan base.