A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

After last off season, it's hard to believe that they would be so foolish as to be saying such things, unless they were prepared to spend, really significantly. I'm encouraged.

You are that gullible? 

The White Sox sank last year. They've never had any significant free agent move like the ones we hope for. Their offseason last year was one of the worst offseasons I've ever seen from a franchise in baseball. 

They'll sign some people this year, it'll likely be something like Castellanos (Old and unbelievably bad at defense), Keuchel (not great and probably on downturn), and some middle pieces that will be overpaid for (i.e. nova, jay, alonso). 

• Like 1

Just now, Lillian said:

After last off season, it's hard to believe that they would be so foolish as to be saying such things, unless they were prepared to spend, really significantly. I'm encouraged.

I’m certain they plan to be aggressive and I’m optimistic that everyone after the big three should be attainable despite Jerry’s limited risk tolerance.  That being said, you just never with this guy and last offseason was an example of that.  They said they were serious and ultimately made a large but half-assed offer for Machado.  This year they simply need to get shit done...the time for excuses is over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

You are that gullible? 

The White Sox sank last year. They've never had any significant free agent move like the ones we hope for. Their offseason last year was one of the worst offseasons I've ever seen from a franchise in baseball. 

They'll sign some people this year, it'll likely be something like Castellanos (Old and unbelievably bad at defense), Keuchel (not great and probably on downturn), and some middle pieces that will be overpaid for (i.e. nova, jay, alonso). 

Castellanos old?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's take a stab:

Y. Grandal - White Sox, 4/68

N. Castellanos 4/58

J. Abreu - 2/28

RP W Harris 2/18 (or Will Smith for more)

SP - Damn, I really don't know. I REALLY don't want Keuchel but he's the most realistic. Ryu? Eh. Wish I could say Cole. 

All contracts from: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2020.html

Edited by iWiN4PreP

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  

The plan should be to sign Wheeler (or theoretically Cole/Strasburg) to a multi-year deal and then add another cheaper starter on a one year deal like Wood or Gonzalez.  That gives you an opening day rotation of Giolito, Wheeler, Cease, Wood, & Lopez.  Kopech comes up after he recovers that lost year of service time and replaces the weak man in the rotation.  Rodon serves as a wild card this year and is used in the bullpen if necessary.  Come 2021 him, Lopez, Dunning, & Lambert compete for the 5th starter spot.  That makes Stiever very much expendable IMO and I think he goes in a trade for a RF this offseason.

And Rodon for 2021?

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rodon should compete with Lopez, Dunning, & Lambert for the 5th starter spot.  Honestly, if Lopez or Dunning steps up, we might be best off just using Rodon as a reliever in 2021.  He might be lethal in that role a la Andrew Miller.

I can't imagine that Rodon would be very happy about that, heading into his free agent year. Not sure what recourse he would have, but he wouldn't be a happy camper.

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, MLBTR has him getting $6M and Fangraphs didn’t rank him amongst the top 50 free agents.  Gun to head, I’d put him at like $7M and that extra $8M is substantial enough for a decent back of the rotation starter or bullpen piece.  

At that price, maybe I AM on the Calhoun train.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Exactly my thinking Lillian. I see no reason why they would talk a big game and leave themselves open to the massive criticism and ridicule that would follow if they strikeout. They are going to spend big this offseason. It's their chance to be the winners in the city. 

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Temper your expectations......This is more in line with what Bruuuuuce is saying

Lol...he legit says they’d like to add core guys in that very tweet.  It’s not even remotely realistic to expect long-term additions at every spot.  There will need be some placeholders and that’s a good thing unless you enjoyed watching the black holes sprinkled throughout our roster last year.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...he legit says they’d like to add core guys in that very tweet.  It’s not even remotely realistic to expect long-term additions at every spot.  There will need be some placeholders and that’s a good thing unless you enjoyed watching the black holes sprinkled throughout our roster last year.

I think the big difference between this year and last is that they’re actually interested in filling holes, whereas last year they just wanted their one guy. 

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think the big difference between this year and last is that they’re actually interested in filling holes, whereas last year they just wanted their one guy. 

Yup, that was pretty much the plan last year.  Now they will look to add impact players AND plus holes with stopgaps.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

I can't imagine that Rodon would be very happy about that, heading into his free agent year. Not sure what recourse he would have, but he wouldn't be a happy camper.

If Rodon becomes a reliever and is really good at it, he could make more money than he would as a mediocre starting pitcher. But I think he still has the stuff to be a starter, he just has to stay healthy.