A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

Hahn’s comment on “trades” got me thinking that we’ll be targeting a cost controlled reliever instead of looking at more expensive options in free agency.  I could definitely see us looking to move someone like Blake Rutherford for a pre-arb or early arb reliever.

Do any rebuilding teams have a cheap, controllable bullpen arm of interest?

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn’s comment on “trades” got me thinking that we’ll be targeting a cost controlled reliever instead of looking at more expensive options in free agency.  I could definitely see us looking to move someone like Blake Rutherford for a pre-arb or early arb reliever.

Do any rebuilding teams have a cheap, controllable bullpen arm of interest?

I found this to be interesting as well. He said trades as if we will make more than 1. JDM is probably 1. and I think a competent RF may be the other. It seems like Hahn and the FO has a plan that we as fans agree with. I don't care if they talk, just spend the money and bring in people who can help us win.  The talking isn't the problem, the lack of walking is. 

12 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

So, you're telling me that $260M GTD is not better than $300M GTD?

No, unless you offer to pay an extra 100 million on top of that 260 when a player meets the incentive of playing 182 games in Chicago per season on Thursdays after doubleheaders played on Tuesday AND Wednesday. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

No, unless you offer to pay an extra 100 million on top of that 260 when a player meets the incentive of playing 182 games in Chicago per season on Thursdays after doubleheaders played on Tuesday AND Wednesday. 

And any $1 Dog Mondays, up to 5.

Edited by Soxnfins

12 hours ago, Bad Hombre said:

lol I remember you...You were the guy that kept telling us to “get ready” for the Machado signing last year! 

Hahaha yeah they played me I just wanted to hype up this thread.

Hoping for JDM, Grandal, Rendon, Wheeler, Betances 

But highly doubt it happens 

• Haha 2

A realistic offseason:

• One large free agent contract ($80 mil or more).  Could be to a pitcher -- Wheeler or Bumgarner most likely -- or a hitter -- Grandal or Castellanos most likely.
  • Multiple short term contracts to plug holes.  If the big contract is to a pitcher, we're likely looking at Encarnacion and Calhoun.  If the big contract is to a hitter, we're likely looking at Hamels and Wood.
  • One noteworthy trade to plug a hole.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would people be happy or upset with the following:

- bring back Abreu

- trade for Joc

- sign Grandal, Encarnacion, Keuchel, Cishek

I mean I'd be happy the offense got significantly upgraded.  But disappointed and puzzled that they spent a bunch of money without addressing their most glaring need:  a frontline starter.  I'd take Cole and a bunch of stopgaps over the above.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would people be happy or upset with the following:

- bring back Abreu

- trade for Joc

- sign Grandal, Encarnacion, Keuchel, Cishek

I would be happy, assuming EE is a 1 year deal and Keuchel is a 2 year deal.  Would be tad disappointed Keuchel is the main SP add, but I could live with it on a 2/$30M type deal.  I imagine there would be another 1 year SP in there as well, but for sake of argument, I would assume it wouldn't be an overly interesting name.