A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

Would people be happy or upset with the following:

- bring back Abreu

- trade for Joc

- sign Grandal, Encarnacion, Keuchel, Cishek

Happy, that team should be able to win baseball games. I'd like a swing man too, but whatever. 

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

- bring back Abreu

- trade for Joc

That's actually a pretty solid offseason 

While aspirations are higher, something resembling this is realistic

We really need to bring in two starting pitchers, and I'd like one to be better than Keuchel

19 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but would people rather have the combination of Wheeler/Castallenos or Kuechel/Grandal? 

Give me the former.

Partially does depend on at what price, but for the current Sox Wheeler/Castellanos

22 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but would people rather have the combination of Wheeler/Castallenos or Kuechel/Grandal? 

Give me the former.

Wheeler/Casty bc we need a SP more than anything else and Wheeler is probably the 3rd best SP available. Only concern with Casty is his D. But I'd take that over Dallas being our #1 SP addition.

10 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

Pretty much. Although, I am curious to see what the asking price is for him given he only has one year of control left? 

I would think they'd want one of Cease, Madrigal or Vaughn, to start.  Which is why it should be a HARD PASS.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

- bring back Abreu

- trade for Joc

With the paltry amount of money committed to future payroll that the White Sox have, the overtures we have been hearing from the front office, and how bad this team obviously needs high-end pitching, I will be disappointed if they don’t end up with one of Cole/Strasburg/Wheeler. As unlikely as it seems that they will do so, the fact remains that CAN get one if they choose to do so.

Ending up with Keuchel/Bumgarner instead is just White Sox business as usual — spending money inefficiently on famous players that are past their prime, and trying to sell the brand names to meatball fans as if the coming season won’t expose it all for the farce that it is. 

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

More or less, yes

So it's one of those things where it's reasonable and is probably fine but there is something that has bugged me:

- In 2018 draft it was rich in great high school pitching and weak on college pitching and ended up drafting mostly college pitchers

- In 2019 draft it was weak on pitching in general and sox spent a lot to get high school pitchers (that I liked personally liked!)

It seems like when there is a rich crop of something, sox instead go after the weaker scarcity and that list you have strikes me as that. It prioritizes making sure you don't get stuck with average players in the scarce positions rather than trying to get the strong players from the depth positions.

And that offseason screams that to me.

4 hours ago, teorey23 said:

Hahaha yeah they played me I just wanted to hype up this thread.

Hoping for JDM, Grandal, Rendon, Wheeler, Betances 

But highly doubt it happens 

Do you really think that it makes sense to sign 3 position players? I think that Rendon and a LH bat (Moose, or Grandal) would be sufficient. Then spend the money on pitching

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Our seat at the table might be the upgraded to the adults table this year!

Nah, just from a highchair to the kiddie table. They just graduated to solid food. 

Btw this is 100% not serious. Just trying to make people laugh. 

Edited by Jack Parkman