A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Tie Tauchman to Happ and Yanks eat $3M and maybe throw in Bird. We send Lopez and Fry. We solve for LH RF who can play defense and mash plus 4-5 starter plus LH bat off bench or DH (Bird might not be ready to take field at 1B but if he is, he's great flexibility/depth).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Flash said:

Tie Tauchman to Happ and Yanks eat $3M and maybe throw in Bird. We send Lopez and Fry. We solve for LH RF who can play defense and mash plus 4-5 starter plus LH bat off bench or DH (Bird might not be ready to take field at 1B but if he is, he's great flexibility/depth).

Nothing personal, but I would hate this trade.  Tauchman may be a decent player, but the jury is still out on him and Statcast believes he overachieved last year.  Plus he’s almost 29.  And to get him and a guy who is redundant with Collins, we have to weaken the pitching staff, waste some of our financial flexibility, and improve the chances of the Yankees getting Cole.  Just doesn’t make any sense to me.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Flash said:

You do realize Tauchman is already 28...?

I guess Hahn would like the local boy comes home angle...Fremd, Palatine, Bradley, but generally trading high upside, cost-controlled starting pitchers for more expensive veteran 4/5 starters doesn’t work out well.

If we were making 3 big moves this offseason to go with it, maybe.

By the time we actually need Happ, he’ll be yet one more year removed from his prime.

And Tauchman was a low 700s OPS guy in 2015-16...it wasn’t until Albuquerque, a hitter’s paradise not unlike Charlotte, that he really took off.  He might be a late bloomer, but he could just as easily be in a one year flash in the pan.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Nothing personal, but I would hate this trade.  Tauchman may be a decent player, but the jury is still out on him and Statcast believes he overachieved last year.  Plus he’s almost 29.  And to get him and a guy who is redundant with Collins, we have to weaken the pitching staff, waste some of our financial flexibility, and improve the chances of the Yankees getting Cole.  Just doesn’t make any sense to me.

And give up a solid SP and bullpen arm, both with considerable upside, and both cheap and controllable. 

Gross. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flash said:

This makes me want to go "ewwy"

4 hours ago, Flash said:

How dare you.

As I sit and think about pitching options and I am still in favor of no qualifying offers, losing my target of Odorizzi hurts.  It looks like we keep Kopech down to manage innings(regain year also).  Gio, Lopez, Cease are in.  So two likely additions.  I advocated that in my originating this thread post with the second being a swing guy or tradeable as other guys get healthy.  What is clear is they need to be healthy at the start of the season which is why I don't advocate guys like Wood or other injury question marks.  I think we want healthyish, possibly left handed, cheapish, good clubhouse, short term deal etc.  By midseason, this guy can go to the pen as Kopech, Rodon, Dunning or others return.  He could come back if injuries or innings limits are reached.  IE this guy kinda looks like a better Santiago.  I worry re homer prone though his numbers aren't bad and early in the year with cold weather the ball isn't jumping.   In fact his numbers of less than one hr per nine is way better than almost anyone on our team not named Bummer. For cheap what about the unexciting but actually fairly competent #5/swing man Gio Gonzalez.  You are not going to sign a really good player if you are competing with other clubs and that is their role.  Last year he signed for two million and provided 1.7 WAR.

52 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

As I sit and think about pitching options and I am still in favor of no qualifying offers, losing my target of Odorizzi hurts.  It looks like we keep Kopech down to manage innings(regain year also).  Gio, Lopez, Cease are in.  So two likely additions.  I advocated that in my originating this thread post with the second being a swing guy or tradeable as other guys get healthy.  What is clear is they need to be healthy at the start of the season which is why I don't advocate guys like Wood or other injury question marks.  I think we want healthyish, possibly left handed, cheapish, good clubhouse, short term deal etc.  By midseason, this guy can go to the pen as Kopech, Rodon, Dunning or others return.  He could come back if injuries or innings limits are reached.  IE this guy kinda looks like a better Santiago.  I worry re homer prone though his numbers aren't bad and early in the year with cold weather the ball isn't jumping.   In fact his numbers of less than one hr per nine is way better than almost anyone on our team not named Bummer. For cheap what about the unexciting but actually fairly competent #5/swing man Gio Gonzalez.  You are not going to sign a really good player if you are competing with other clubs and that is their role.  Last year he signed for two million and provided 1.7 WAR.

I agree with the swing man idea. Smyly, Pomeranz, salary dump (plus interesting enough spect or two) of Rich Hill are some ideas off the top of my head.

Edited by soxfan2014

Trade:

Carson Fulmer for Travis Shaw. LH hitter that can play 3B, 2B, and 1B with some pop. Has had prior success but struggled in 2019. Brewers seem to be done with him so a flyer on Fulmer could be a fair swap. 

Sign:

Zack Wheeler- Everyone’s obvious top signing that is realistic for the Sox. 5/105

Nick Castellanos- I know a lot of people have issues with his D in RF, but he’s still young and made drastic improvements from year 1 to year 2 at a new position. If he can simply be league average defensively his bat will play more than enough to justify the contract. 4/66

Brad Bach and Arodys Vizcaino- 2 bounce back relief candidates to take a chance on to stabilize the pen. 1/5 for both. 

Josh Lindblom- Potential great value to eat innings as a 5th starter or could be a useful pen arm. The model for success for coming back from overseas is there. 2/7.5

C- McCann

1B- Abreu

2B- Madrigal

3B- Moncada

SS- TA 

LF- Eloy

CF- Robert

RF- Castellanos 

DH- Collins

Bench- Shaw, Luery, Mendick, ?(maybe another C or a better RH DH platoon)

Gio

Wheeler

Cease

Lopez

Lindblom/Kopech

Frye

Bach

Marshall

Cordero

Vizciano

Bummer

Colome

About $128M for payroll

• Haha 1

not gonna happen, but my Christmas wish list is to sign Rendon, slide Moncada to RF and then sign Wheeler. 

Wait one year, and then go out and trade a few of your better minor league guys for the equivalent of what Cole was to the Astros or Sale was for the BoSox. 

Top ACE you traded for, Giolito, Wheeler, Kopech, Cease

Robert, Moncada, Rendon, Eloy, Abreu, Grandal, (DH - EE??), Timmy, Madrigal

• Haha 1