A Realistic Offseason

BamaDoc

4 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Well now that Abreu has been signed my number one expectation hits. 2-3 years and hopefully year three an option and more money than people like was my expectation. By guaranteeing the third year, I am saying that was correct. 

With more help in the lineup it wouldn't surprise me if Jose flourished with less pressure on himself.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Please no.  Grandal gave me reasons for optimism, a Puig signing would be the definition of same old White Sox.

Fuck man, after today - ya never know.  Really felt we turned a corner yesterday, and then today happened.  Watch the Sox turn around and sign Puig to 4 year $70M deal.  

(Please don't do this Sox. Pretty please.)

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fuck man, after today - ya never know.  Really felt we turned a corner yesterday, and then today happened.  Watch the Sox turn around and sign Puig to 4 year $70M deal.  

(Please don't do this Sox. Pretty please.)

Oh I 100% agree.  I’m still hopeful we do the right things like land Wheeler, but this Abreu has me a little spooked.  And Puig would most definitely fit in that category.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Does Stone actually know stuff?

Of course he does.  He’s quite close with Reinsdorf.  His tweets are well-prepared.  

There is a big name pitcher coming our way - probably Wheeler - and a RF, as Stone indicates in his tweet. 

That’s likely Castellanos, but who knows.  That could turn out to be the big surprise of the offseason.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Of course he does.  He’s quite close with Reinsdorf.  His tweets are well-prepared.  

There is a big name pitcher coming our way - probably Wheeler - and a RF, as Stone indicates in his tweet. 

That’s likely Castellanos, but who knows.  That could turn out to be the big surprise of the offseason.  

Not happening.

I honestly don’t get it. Seriously.

Ues, it’s plausible stone - whose employment rests with the Sox - is speaking on information from the Sox.

But the Sox also hate “leaks”. They pride themselves in breaking news themselves.

I just don’t know whether to give a crap about stones stuff. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I honestly don’t get it. Seriously.

Ues, it’s plausible stone - whose employment rests with the Sox - is speaking on information from the Sox.

But the Sox also hate “leaks”. They pride themselves in breaking news themselves.

I just don’t know whether to give a crap about stones stuff. 

I love Stoney as an announcer, but I definitely feel his tweets this offseason are very calculated.  Which I don’t mind at all, because I’m finding them both informative and indicative to a degree of what to expect this offseason.  

I hope Hahn is on the phone with Cherington in Pitt. He’s sure to blow things up and they have a few guys that make sense for us

Sign Wheeler and Encarnacion

Trade Collins, Dunning, Rutherford, and Lenny Sosa for Starling Marte and Keone Kela 

Robert

Marte

Moncada

Abreu

Grandal

Eloy

Encarnacion

TA

Madrigal 

That would be outrageous

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I hope Hahn is on the phone with Cherington in Pitt. He’s sure to blow things up and they have a few guys that make sense for us

Sign Wheeler and Encarnacion

Trade Collins, Dunning, Rutherford, and Lenny Sosa for Starling Marte and Keone Kela 

Robert

Marte

Moncada

Abreu

Grandal

Eloy

Encarnacion

TA

Madrigal 

That would be outrageous

Catcher
Locks: Jacob Stallings, Elias Díaz
Possibilities: Free agent or trade acquisition
This seems like an area where the Pirates will look to add this offseason, whether it’s through free agency or trades. The tricky part here is that both of their current catchers, Stallings and Díaz, are out of Minor League options. Maybe they’ll use that extra roster spot to carry a third catcher, especially if they add a player with more defensive versatility.

Who might they seek? Perhaps free agents like Travis d'Arnaud, Robinson Chirinosor, if he’s interested in a reunion, Russell Martin. On the trade front, the Dodgers’ Austin Barnes seems like a classic Huntington-era Pirates target. The 29-year-old is behind Will Smith on Los Angeles’ depth chart, two years removed from an excellent overall season and still well-regarded as a pitch-framer despite his offensive struggles the past two years.

I wonder if we could swing a trade with Seattle for Marco Gonzales. Good productive lefty (two straight 3+ fwar seasons) under control for like 3 more years.

Not sure what it would take but if we want to add a lefty it would be alot cheaper (Cash Wise) than Ryu or Madbum, since we've blown some financial flexibility with the Abreu deal. 

1 hour ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I wonder if we could swing a trade with Seattle for Marco Gonzales. Good productive lefty (two straight 3+ fwar seasons) under control for like 3 more years.

Not sure what it would take but if we want to add a lefty it would be alot cheaper (Cash Wise) than Ryu or Madbum, since we've blown some financial flexibility with the Abreu deal. 

Add in Haniger and then you really have a post-season competitive team.

But it would leave the farm system in really sorry shape, it it isn’t already...

On 11/23/2019 at 6:58 PM, caulfield12 said:

Add in Haniger and then you really have a post-season competitive team.

But it would leave the farm system in really sorry shape, it it isn’t already...

I would just ask:

- The value of haniger is increased because of his low $ cost

- What are the white sox going to do with that extra value in the rest of the roster.

I'd be more ok giving assets for him if we got Cole/Stras. He's good not great.

• Like 1

My other target........Brett Gardner is still available. I figured with injuries, Yankees would keep him but he is still out there. Maybe waitinguntil after everyone fills rosters post rule five draft?  Still think he would look good   Lefty hitting, good obp, good mentor, affordable stop gap and can help in in center if needed.